Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2018, 04:00   #511

Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
Nope. I'm a consultant of online marketing as a day job. I talk to people all the time who start out a blog or business catering to a super-micro-niche. There's just not enough traffic to do anything interesting with marketing or monetization. They either drop the idea after a while or look at ways to expand the audience.

Granted this is only looking through the perspective of it being a business. Plenty of people produce content just for the enjoyment of sharing their experiences. I was trying to give an explanation of why you see the subject matter of the content steer away from being entirely about sailing.

Not that I'm a big fan of sailing vlogs. There's one I watch each issue like it's a tv show (every week when it comes out) and a couple that I'll watch if I'm bored at work, and rarely do I get all the way through an episode in its entirety.
“ nope “ ?? Interest and participation in sailing is certainly no “super micro niche “ market ,just ask your fellow marketeers from outremer , beneteau , leopard etc you will see that it is a burgeoning market / industry , one which can be tapped into from many angles , including pure sailing bloggs , without having to pander to a lowest common denominator ( general public ) audience .
Old 13-01-2018, 04:10   #512

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
They aren't turning into that (this is in reference to the Wynns), that's what they've always been. The Wynns channel has at no point ever been a sailing channel. It's always been about sharing their adventure, which of course started with an RV.
Of course mike , but every day on a boat is an adventure ( even to those lucky enough to be becalmed in the med !! ) and that is exactly what many people want to watch , not the well tramped path down some cocoanut grove , if we want a travel blogg type adventure we would watch a dedicated adventure channel for that .
Old 15-01-2018, 01:09   #513

Distant Shores TV = sailing and only sailing, is dry and not interesting
Gone with the Wynns = Sailing plus travel adventure ,,
Gone with the Wynns gets FIVE TIMES as many views

https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/distantshores1
https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/gonewiththewynns
Old 15-01-2018, 01:49   #514

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

The Wynns are kind of a cute couple. Nice to watch their development and how they manage to handle some obstacles...

It goes on since the beginning in their RV travels. Installing a new faucet, composting toilet addiction, explaining inverter, dancing on flexible solar panels on the roof of the RV (don't do this at home, they break!), some reviews of gadgets, gear and RV's and lots other fun stuff.

They are kind of beginners / intermediate amateurs on all aspects of technology, nice to see how they develop some skills along the way.

And they are quite professional in video editing. You can have the direct comparison for the same adventure filmed by the Wynns and by some of their guests on youtube, you'll see the difference.
Old 15-01-2018, 06:44   #515

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Loved the Wynns latest video. That's the type of stuff I like to watch.

And to think someone on here was saying, "oh well they never said what the problems were" in regards to the battery, and inverter. The latest video shows you in the detail you could want. Perhaps a case of 'ask ye shall receive'
Old 15-01-2018, 06:48   #516

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Have I missed something? What video do you refer to?
Old 15-01-2018, 07:08   #517

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Have I missed something? What video do you refer to?
Old 11-02-2018, 13:22   #518
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

May have been posted before, if not this is a good watch. A bit rough in places but improves as they go but that's part of the attraction. A couple travelling around Australia the wrong way in a $1,000 boat but handle it. Good explanations of the journey and the area's they're in.

They start in Perth and head for the Kimberly, a rugged, beautiful and remote part of Australia.

https://youtu.be/O5RTZi2i92M
Old 11-02-2018, 17:59   #519

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
May have been posted before, if not this is a good watch. A bit rough in places but improves as they go but that's part of the attraction. A couple travelling around Australia the wrong way in a $1,000 boat but handle it. Good explanations of the journey and the area's they're in.

They start in Perth and head for the Kimberly, a rugged, beautiful and remote part of Australia.

https://youtu.be/O5RTZi2i92M
I am intrigued and will watch. Thanks for that.
Old 20-02-2018, 04:17   #520

Boat: None at present.

"Life in a Nutshell", is my current fave. middle aged couple in a (I believe) a Choy Lea, know as Choy Leakie for obvious reasons. They've just transited the Panama Canal & cruising up the coast of Costa Rica. Their shows are really amusing, especially the guy who can't remember names.
Old 20-02-2018, 09:44   #521

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearman65 View Post
"Life in a Nutshell", is my current fave. middle aged couple in a (I believe) a Choy Lea, know as Choy Leakie for obvious reasons. They've just transited the Panama Canal & cruising up the coast of Costa Rica. Their shows are really amusing, especially the guy who can't remember names.
They are in a Hans Christian 43T. Lovely couple.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Old 10-03-2018, 19:05   #522

I've enjoyed watching a lot of the well known sailing vlogs (Delos, La Vagabonde, RAN, Uma, WhiteSpotPirates) and I like to see both the sailing and the exploring. Lately it seems like quite a few of them, especially the newer channels, have all been hitting the same places in the Caribbean which is starting to feel a bit repetitive. Actually, I've been binge watching various channels so probably they are not all there at the same time, maybe it's just me watching them at the same time! Anyway, I've been hunting for sailors that venture a little more off the beaten track and have found some:

Free Range Sailing - wild Australian coastline, the captain clearly has serious skills in both sailing and bushcraft. They frequently venture into shallow shark and crocodile infested waters to fish and explore the rugged Aussie terrain. (This couple only recently joined Patreon because some subscribers were flat out asking them how they could give them money!)

Sailing Catalapa - this is a fun Australian family of 4 that is currently meadering through southeast Asia.

I've just started in on Sailing FollowtheBoat in Thailand which I've found fairly interesting.

I'm glad there are lots of new sailing vlogs starting up, it's fun to have lots of options to watch. . One thing I've noticed about my own personal expectations that has developed over the past two years of following various sailing vlogs is that my expectations for production values have increased a lot. I think my baseline has risen and now I want them all to have: excellent quality HD video with image stabilization, clear audio without wind or overpowering background music, lots of cuts to different multi-camera angles, drone shots and B-roll, and of course fun, interesting, attractive people sailing and exploring. Basically, I now expect near broadcast quality because I know it's possible and some channels are achieving it. No one HAS to go to this level of effort in order to have a YouTube channel but I sense that it is quickly becoming the new standard that is needed to compete.

I don't mind the concept of Patreon support, it's optional after all. If I had a large income I might donate some money to a few channels but my budget is rather tight these days. One thing I don't really understand though is why so many people continue donating to the top earning channels? Now that those channels have achieved substantial success wouldn't it make sense for a lot of their patrons to drop their support of the top one percent and instead redistribute their Patreon money toward some of the smaller channels in order to help them get started and build a wider range of options?

Though I don't have extra money to hand out, I do try to encourage new channels that seem to have interesting people at the core by posting positive messages and sometimes friendly advice regarding how to improve their content in order to draw in more subscribers. I think that ultimately a good channel needs interesting people to succeed. If all you saw was just the sailboat, water and tropical coastlines and no people interacting, it would get boring pretty fast no matter how excellent the videography.
Old 09-04-2018, 13:23   #523
Heg

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari Evolution

We have just started to put some videos up on YouTube. We own a 40ft sailing catamaran called Double Trouble. Just me and hubby on board. No bikinis I'm afraid. We are struggling for subscribers as it is

The link is here if any of you fancy taking a look
https://www.youtube.com/channel/SailingDoubleTrouble

We'd love some constructive criticism . The early stuff we took using just our phone cameras. but we got a new go pro recently, so footage should improve.
We'll be doing sailing videos and scuba diving videos. Only 3 movies up there so far , but the aim is to try and do one or two a month.
Cheers
Old 09-04-2018, 14:38   #524

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Heg, Good job on the first video. I haven't watched it all yet, but I will.

The one thing that I see from a lot of new sailing youtubers is terrible audio. Yours isn't the worst I've seen by a long shot, but make sure you don't ignore it. Pay attention in your post production to be sure all the audio is the same level so we're not having to run the volume up and down. Also, buy a good microphone. There are several you can get for reasonable money, and be sure to get a dead cat for it. Most of them record separately from the video, so you'll have to learn how to sync them up.

To get more views, be sure to have one of the 3 B's on the thumbnail. Boats, Beaches, and Bikinis. If you've ruled out bikinis already, be sure to include the other two. Since it looks like you have a drone, you should be able to get the boat by the beach.

Seriously though, good job.
Old 09-04-2018, 16:03   #525
Heg

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadosailing View Post
Heg, Good job on the first video. I haven't watched it all yet, but I will.

The one thing that I see from a lot of new sailing youtubers is terrible audio. Yours isn't the worst I've seen by a long shot, but make sure you don't ignore it. Pay attention in your post production to be sure all the audio is the same level so we're not having to run the volume up and down. Also, buy a good microphone. There are several you can get for reasonable money, and be sure to get a dead cat for it. Most of them record separately from the video, so you'll have to learn how to sync them up.

To get more views, be sure to have one of the 3 B's on the thumbnail. Boats, Beaches, and Bikinis. If you've ruled out bikinis already, be sure to include the other two. Since it looks like you have a drone, you should be able to get the boat by the beach.

Seriously though, good job.
Thanks so much for the comments. Believe it or not, hubby is actually a sound engineer , however we didn't have a decent microphone for the first two videos. (He wasn't a happy bunny at all .) However all that should change with the next one. We now have some super duper Shure stuff to play with, so hopefully the dodgy audio will be a thing of the past.
Didn't have a drone either ( that arrived today) ,so super excited to start using that.

Tags
liveaboard