Cruisers Forum
 


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2018, 05:51   #631
Registered User
 
CatNewBee's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2017
Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Posts: 3,046
Images: 3
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellBack89 View Post
Lol not one positive comment from their supporters. I guess that’s what happens when an elitist show their true colors For me, never liked them . I have others that I watch, that I feel ad value by providing teaching and travel tip moments. These two just show their viewers what happens when people pay their way and are given a million dollar cat for free......entitlement!
Sooooooo many jealous h8trs out there!

C'mon guys, living from Parteon and Youtube does not mean giving up the right of personal opinions nor the right of free expression. This PC stuff is so bigot.

You are free to like them or dislike them, agree or disagree with them, support them or not - but not to judge them.

I prefer an honest rant, that shows what these people think and stand for - then a pretended polished everyone's darling hello-kitty video to please the crowd and avoid confrontation.

(and I apologize formally to all "Hello Kitty" fans - nothing wrong with you guys)

Here is another example of jealous h8ters and liveaboards...

CatNewBee is offline  
Old 24-10-2018, 06:07   #632
Registered User
 
Fiveslide's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
Posts: 871
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellBack89 View Post
Lol not one positive comment from their supporters. I guess that’s what happens when an elitist show their true colors For me, never liked them . I have others that I watch, that I feel ad value by providing teaching and travel tip moments. These two just show their viewers what happens when people pay their way and are given a million dollar cat for free......entitlement!
Elitist, how? I'd probably come up with the same reasons to not go on a cruise ship. I'm far from elitist, we live in a small 4 room cottage that has access to a large lake but is worth far less than most people here spend on their boats.

Unless you like gambling, drinking your face off or bowling on an alley that moves, what else is there to do on a cruise ship? I got out bowled by a 4 year old because he got lucky, darn it!
__________________
I love big boats and I can not lie.
Fiveslide is offline  
Old 24-10-2018, 07:46   #633
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Kemah TX
Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA
Posts: 176
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Sooooooo many jealous h8trs out there!

C'mon guys, living from Parteon and Youtube does not mean giving up the right of personal opinions nor the right of free expression. This PC stuff is so bigot.

You are free to like them or dislike them, agree or disagree with them, support them or not - but not to judge them.

I prefer an honest rant, that shows what these people think and stand for - then a pretended polished everyone's darling hello-kitty video to please the crowd and avoid confrontation.

Here is another example of jealous h8ters and liveaboards...
You call me a jealous, hater and a bigot for voicing my opinion (see the irony?) and in the same response tell me I can’t judge them (one could argue by calling me jealous, hater and bigot that you've judged me for voicing my opinion again do you see the irony?) interesting use of worded hypocrisy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
Elitist, how? I'd probably come up with the same reasons to not go on a cruise ship. I'm far from elitist, we live in a small 4 room cottage that has access to a large lake but is worth far less than most people here spend on their boats.

Unless you like gambling, drinking your face off or bowling on an alley that moves, what else is there to do on a cruise ship? I got out bowled by a 4 year old because he got lucky, darn it!

I'll keep my response simple.......These people were approached by the cruise line for a sponsorship. Know who knows what all transpired but either way a deal wasn't reached and then they turn around a bashed the industry. In addition you weren't given a million dollar cat and am being solely supported by youtube and patreon views only to lecture their viewers why they shouldn't take, what maybe their only affordable means, a family vacation, visit an exotic port and be on the water. They complained the industry dumps trash and yet there is a video in which Riley does the same thing and even states that it's okay to dump trash. They bitched and moaned about being in a port and all of a sudden a cruise ship just shows up. Really?? Everyone who has been around a cruise port knows exactly when the ship is pulling in. You don't want to be there take your donated million dollar cat and move to another island. They pump their sewage into the water they are most likely anchored in which is more nasty (another thread already goes on about this subject) than dumping in open water. They joke about the low wages these "Filipinos" make but again are being paid by viewers. This is all hypocrisy! That's my complaint! but according to some I'm just jealous, a hater and bigot.


FYI - where I come from a 4 room cottage with lake access is called a lake house and only the elite, who don't see themselves as elite, can own one. I guess it all depends on the persons perspective whether they are an elitist or not!
ShellBack89 is offline  
Old 24-10-2018, 07:49   #634
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 750
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Don’t watch too many
Saillife & Boatworks mostly
but did see the last episode of
La Vagabonde
Got a kick out of Elayna commenting on
the “Sterotype” of Miami boaters with
“Girls dancining in Bikinis on the foredeck”
Jump the Shark big time for me
If she were to dress in a Berka
their channel would dry up in a heartbeat
Who do they think there kidding???
Time2Go is offline  
Old 24-10-2018, 07:51   #635
Registered User
 
CatNewBee's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2017
Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Posts: 3,046
Images: 3
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellBack89 View Post
You call me a hater and a bigot for voicing my opinion and in the same response tell me I can’t judge them interesting use of worded hypocrisy.
I am referring to the many hate posts they have got, just for speaking out and telling what they think. You are free to voice your opinion too of course about the cruise ships without getting personal. Nobody deserves a shitstorm.
__________________
Lagoon 400S2 refit for cruising: LiFeYPO4, solar and electric galley...
CatNewBee is offline  
Old 24-10-2018, 08:25   #636
Registered User
 
Macblaze's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Edmonton/PNW
Boat: Hunter 386
Posts: 1,333
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellBack89 View Post
In addition you weren't given a million dollar cat and am being solely supported by youtube and patreon views only to lecture their viewers why they shouldn't take, what maybe their only affordable means, a family vacation, visit an exotic port and be on the water.
They weren't given it. They made a hell of a good deal for payments and sponsorship discount but they are still on the hook for most of the cost. If a young Donald Trump, Richard Branson or Micheal Dell had done it we would be applauding them for being great businesmen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellBack89 View Post
FYI - where I come from a 4 room cottage with lake access is called a lake house and only the elite, who don't see themselves as elite, can own one. I guess it all depends on the persons perspective whether they are an elitist or not!
Where I come from having a $100,000 motor boat is called having a yacht and only the elite — who don't see themselves as elite — can own one. I guess it all depends on the persons perspective whether they are an elitist or not!

Seriously. I got no issue with you hating on their video. It was, as someone said, tone-deaf. But these kids have gone from some saved cash in their pocket made from working hard on the rigs to a world-wide phenomenon. Martha Stewart anyone? You don't have to like them (and I generally don't) to appreciate the kind of genius that went into building their brand and then growing it to the million dollar level.

And if anyone thinks it was all luck and T&A then I feel for them as its likely they will never enjoy the same success.
__________________
---
Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
Macblaze is offline  
Old 24-10-2018, 08:31   #637
Registered User
 
Macblaze's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Edmonton/PNW
Boat: Hunter 386
Posts: 1,333
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Yeh, they are great. We like their v-log.
I have kind of a love/hate relationship with them. They carried their guns from Florida to Australia, declaring them only when they felt it benefited them. They are sometimes genuinely afraid of the people and cultures they visit and only because of their own internal prejudices.

But they are genuine, honest about their own prejudices, and are determined to soak in the world in a better than touristy way. It wlll be interesting to see if the cat-thing changes them like it did SLV. I can see it happening already.
__________________
---
Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
Macblaze is offline  
Old 24-10-2018, 10:58   #638
Registered User
 
CatNewBee's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2017
Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Posts: 3,046
Images: 3
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Home schooling of three teenagers on a catamaran while sailing is not that easy I guess... And they have to save money to cruise, no Patreon / crowd funding stuff either.

Zatara is somewhat a honest view on living on a boat for a while, they enjoy what they are doing instead doing something to enjoy the sponsors....
__________________
Lagoon 400S2 refit for cruising: LiFeYPO4, solar and electric galley...
CatNewBee is offline  
Old 24-10-2018, 15:22   #639
CF Adviser
 
Pelagic's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Posts: 9,529
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
I am referring to the many hate posts they have got, just for speaking out and telling what they think. You are free to voice your opinion too of course about the cruise ships without getting personal. Nobody deserves a shitstorm.
I agree, nobody deserves it, but when you solicit financial support from sharing your lifestyle and musings.., you kinda leave that door open.

It's interesting to compare the evolution of Delos and Vagabond as their following grew and their videos became more scripted.

Delos seems to have stayed more natural and understated, self effacing yet more adventureous and educational.

I rarely get bored watching their new episodes whereas I see less energy and a lot of filler in Vagabond's productions.

Maybe it is because Delos has more crew or the two brothers just complement each other a bit better, but with Delos, I feel I am sharing their journey.

With Vagabond, I feel I'm just watching a show now.
Pelagic is online now  
Old 25-10-2018, 03:23   #640
Registered User
 
CatNewBee's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2017
Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Posts: 3,046
Images: 3
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

SV Delos is way behind with their Vlog.

They shoot all day long from all perspectives and sent the material to some outsourced crew on land to do the professional cut / editing and polishing in Asia I recall from a video they mentioned that.

So there is not just scripted adventures, but also an external editor make-over / filter on the published content.

From a business point of view a smart step to leverage your business by outsourcing time consuming editing tasks and freeing time for capturing more coverage.

I guess, when they make the next step going on a big catamaran or larger vessel having the space for crew, they probably will hire a professional video (team) even for the filming work - would be the next logical step.
CatNewBee is offline  
Old 25-10-2018, 03:47   #641
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winter Germany, Summer Med
Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Posts: 1,635
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
I have kind of a love/hate relationship with them. They carried their guns from Florida to Australia, declaring them only when they felt it benefited them. They are sometimes genuinely afraid of the people and cultures they visit and only because of their own internal prejudices.

But they are genuine, honest about their own prejudices, and are determined to soak in the world in a better than touristy way. It wlll be interesting to see if the cat-thing changes them like it did SLV. I can see it happening already.
I have watched only two episodes of Zatara (hey, thats more than I can stand of many other channels). At least the seem like a genuine family doing it their way. Not scripted reality with perfect editing.
They seem to do their videos for themselfs and their friends more than for the wider audience.

To me (!) it feels like they are having way more fun then many of the established channels.


Is this a new aspect for the mono-vs-cat discussions? "As soon as you get a cat you stop having fun but only try to look good, show some skin and sell clickbait"
rabbi is offline  
Old 25-10-2018, 04:00   #642
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Brazil
Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)
Posts: 684
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
SV Delos is way behind with their Vlog.

They shoot all day long from all perspectives and sent the material to some outsourced crew on land to do the professional cut / editing and polishing in Asia I recall from a video they mentioned that.

So there is not just scripted adventures, but also an external editor make-over / filter on the published content.

From a business point of view a smart step to leverage your business by outsourcing time consuming editing tasks and freeing time for capturing more coverage.

I guess, when they make the next step going on a big catamaran or larger vessel having the space for crew, they probably will hire a professional video (team) even for the filming work - would be the next logical step.
Cat, I think you're mistaken. If you look at the credits at the end of each Delos video they specify the editor of the episode. It's always one of the crew. I believe they do everything aboard Delos. I think one of the reasons for their success is that they have a larger crew and all of them are talented photographers and editors. This allows them to share tasks and put out a very high quality 30-minute video every week.
Copacabana is offline  
Old 25-10-2018, 08:02   #643
Registered User
 
CatNewBee's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2017
Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Posts: 3,046
Images: 3
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

https://youtu.be/j7aq4M_lT44

Safety on Zatara and thoughts about penguines and redundancy.
__________________
Lagoon 400S2 refit for cruising: LiFeYPO4, solar and electric galley...
CatNewBee is offline  
Old 25-10-2018, 08:06   #644
Registered User
 
Macblaze's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Edmonton/PNW
Boat: Hunter 386
Posts: 1,333
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
Is this a new aspect for the mono-vs-cat discussions? "As soon as you get a cat you stop having fun but only try to look good, show some skin and sell clickbait"
But it is a thing right? We leaned to sail on monohull, chartering and then switched our next charter to a 40' powerboat. It was completely different: our attitudes, the things we did, the conveniences we took for granted, even the amount of touristy things we did. I imagine the luxury of a big cat with unlimited power and hot water, faster speeds etc. would be a bit insidious...
__________________
---
Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
Macblaze is offline  
Old 25-10-2018, 08:10   #645
Registered User
 
Macblaze's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Edmonton/PNW
Boat: Hunter 386
Posts: 1,333
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
Cat, I think you're mistaken. If you look at the credits at the end of each Delos video they specify the editor of the episode. It's always one of the crew. I believe they do everything aboard Delos. I think one of the reasons for their success is that they have a larger crew and all of them are talented photographers and editors. This allows them to share tasks and put out a very high quality 30-minute video every week.
I think he was referring to Kiril who is ex-crew and now does the occasional stint as production person (you will see him in the credits). AFAIK Kiril left Delos to travel Asia, but he rejoined them to tour the Amel factory. I think I remember that videographer was his actual profession...
__________________
---
Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
Macblaze is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do the stars under my username mean? BadFish Forum Tech Support & Site Help 30 27-05-2020 16:38
How to post a Youtube Video (with Viewer) using Youtube APP Steadman Uhlich Forum Tech Support & Site Help 4 12-08-2019 15:17
Shooting Stars Jack Long General Sailing Forum 26 19-08-2008 13:18
Where are the stars. Islandmike General Sailing Forum 18 11-04-2006 12:00
Now you get stars for posting!!! Gisle Forum News & Announcements 6 12-05-2003 00:18

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:36.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.