Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2019, 11:22   #76

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: How many cruisers would there be out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
That's because they're busy wasting money on $1000 cellphones, $35,000 cars, $200 jeans and $500 sneakers; they actually make more money today when adjusted for inflation than folks did back in the 1970's and 1980's.

There's nothing stopping them from buying fixer upper boats, used cars and shopping for clothing at Walmart like the rest of us.

Now they even have you making excuses for them...
Ken, this is fake news . This paper SPECIFICALLY states what you claim is incorrect. Read the paper.
Old 27-02-2019, 11:29   #77

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
That's because they're busy wasting money on $1000 cellphones, $35,000 cars, $200 jeans and $500 sneakers; they actually make more money today when adjusted for inflation than folks did back in the 1970's and 1980's.

There's nothing stopping them from buying fixer upper boats, used cars and shopping for clothing at Walmart like the rest of us.

Perhaps some of us do waste our money, but I don't think it's the majority.

Don't forget that inflation works both ways. We might make more, but everything is more expensive as well, especially big ticket purchases like houses and education. Wage growth hasn't kept up with productivity gains over a very long period now (look it up, it's a fact), leading to a very large disparity between the rich and the poor, and an endangered middle-class.

I personally was lucky to land in a booming field (tech), but a lot of my peers haven't had that chance.
emilecantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 11:40   #78

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilecantin View Post
Perhaps some of us do waste our money, but I don't think it's the majority.

Don't forget that inflation works both ways. We might make more, but everything is more expensive as well, especially big ticket purchases like houses and education. Wage growth hasn't kept up with productivity gains over a very long period now (look it up, it's a fact), leading to a very large disparity between the rich and the poor, and an endangered middle-class.

I personally was lucky to land in a booming field (tech), but a lot of my peers haven't had that chance.
emile, i'm glad to hear that you landed in a booming field.

by all means, do ALL you can to get rid of that debt asap.
Old 27-02-2019, 11:48   #79
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Ken, this is fake news . This paper SPECIFICALLY states what you claim is incorrect. Read the paper.
Mike,

Unlike you....

I was alive, working for $1.85/ hr and renting an apartment back in 1979-1980, and waiting in my wife’s 1965 Ford Facon to buy gas for 75 cents per gallon on an even day.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 12:01   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
emile, i'm glad to hear that you landed in a booming field.

by all means, do ALL you can to get rid of that debt asap.
+1 on that. Debt is the great enslaver.
Old 27-02-2019, 12:03   #81

Boat: 1987 Ericson 38-200

Ironic the statistics come from the Fed since they cause the inlation.
drewm3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 12:39   #82

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Inflation is necessary for the economy to function properly. If there was no inflation, or it it was reversed and became deflation, hoarding cash would become a viable investment method.

A very big chunk of the economy's money would then become "invested" under mattresses all across the country, and there would be no more investment, access to capital would become very difficult, and the overall economic activity would grind to a halt.

By devaluing your actual dollar bill over time, the Fed encourages you to make something productive with it, like lending it to people that need it (with interest, of course).
emilecantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 13:21   #83

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:

Oh, Get off my lawn!

I am 70+ and long time cruiser. I look at my kids and don't see the financial ability for them to get into sailing let alone cruising. They both work hard and are not frivolous in their spending but at the end of the month there is not a lot left over. They certainly not buying expensive cars and jeans and they do not make as much adjusted for inflation as their parents did. I think you are imagining a scenario to support the view you want to have. Financially the best thing that can happen for these kids is for Dad and Mom to croak so they get a sizeable inheritance.
Old 27-02-2019, 14:08   #84
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I think it is basically "FEAR" exacerbated by social media hype on the 2 major components Cornell identifies , which has spoiled cruising for at least one of the cruising couples.

"the world has been confronted by two major phenomena that have affected offshore cruising both in the short and long term.
The political upheavals in the Middle East and North Africa have greatly affected cruising in the Mediterranean as well passages through the North Indian Ocean and Red Sea, but while those effects can be regarded as regional, the consequences of climate change are now affecting the entire world."

Beheadings in the Philippines. Piracy and killings elsewhere, unseasonable Tropical Revolving Storms plus the sad state of overfishing, bleached coral and plastic garbage everywhere has soured the drive needed to become a new cruiser, for all but the very determined.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 14:39   #85

Boat: 1987 Ericson 38-200

Quote:
Inflation is necessary for the economy to function properly. If there was no inflation, or it it was reversed and became deflation, hoarding cash would become a viable investment method.

A very big chunk of the economy's money would then become "invested" under mattresses all across the country, and there would be no more investment, access to capital would become very difficult, and the overall economic activity would grind to a halt.

By devaluing your actual dollar bill over time, the Fed encourages you to make something productive with it, like lending it to people that need it (with interest, of course).
You actually believe that propaganda? That artificially induced and controlled inflation by private bankers masquerading as a "federal lender of last resort," fueling bubbles and then bailing themselves out, is necessary for an economy to function properly? Loaning "money" at interest to the government is what causes inflation and that is not beneficial to anyone but the lenders themselves. Surely you're joking?
drewm3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 15:09   #86
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How many cruisers would there be out there?

Quote:

Damn.. back in the day it used to be called Savings and we were encouraged to do it.. banks paid us interest of 5+% to save with them so they could use our money to make their profits..
Today we get zero interest, monthly maintenance fees and penalty fees if we want to draw over a certain amount of our money that they set.
Oh Joy!!!

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 15:11   #87
CF Adviser

One other thing.
I like the idea that cruising numbers are diminishing.

Let the commercial destinations like the Med and Carribean fill up with charter parties and snowbirds who need all that infrastructure and percieved security for comfortable and enjoyable cruising.

I love the unknowns of Papua New Guinea, West coast of Palawan. They still don't get a lot of yachts, so you are seen more as a visitor than a business.

It is not for the faint of heart or those needing hand holding.

I hope it stays that way
Old 27-02-2019, 15:16   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I think it is basically "FEAR" exacerbated by social media hype on the 2 major components Cornell identifies , which has spoiled cruising for at least one of the cruising couples.

"the world has been confronted by two major phenomena that have affected offshore cruising both in the short and long term.
The political upheavals in the Middle East and North Africa have greatly affected cruising in the Mediterranean as well passages through the North Indian Ocean and Red Sea, but while those effects can be regarded as regional, the consequences of climate change are now affecting the entire world."

Beheadings in the Philippines. Piracy and killings elsewhere, unseasonable Tropical Revolving Storms plus the sad state of overfishing, bleached coral and plastic garbage everywhere has soured the drive needed to become a new cruiser, for all but the very determined.
Yes, I recall reading this in Cornell’s latest cruiser census survey. Rapid climate change will affect cruisers (both negatively, and positively). And I too wonder about the apparent hardening of borders around the world, and how this might impact global cruising.

I think Cornell notes that there appears to be an increase amount of intra-regional cruising, which could also explain or support the observation that some areas seem to be busier that ever.
Old 27-02-2019, 15:18   #89
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Oh, Get off my lawn!

I am 70+ and long time cruiser. I look at my kids and don't see the financial ability for them to get into sailing let alone cruising.

....... Financially the best thing that can happen for these kids is for Dad and Mom to croak so they get a sizeable inheritance.
Lol AiniA..... Way to throw a curve ball [emoji1]

That would certainly inspire your kids to look after you.[emoji4]
Old 27-02-2019, 15:19   #90
CF Adviser

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190228-071349_Google.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	186786

Tags
cruise, cruiser