Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2021, 05:11   #61

Boat: Roberts 45
Re: Best Not Electric Coffee Maker

Last not least, I mostly use the Kathmandu double walled s/s plunger mug all in one when I just want a massive cup of coffee (600ml) for myself rather than espressi or cappuccini for the crew.

https://www.kathmandu.com.au/coffee-plunger-mug.html

Very safe, little cleanup.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 05:22   #62

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Related Tip: Bustelo or Pilon fine ground Cuban coffee works well. Comes in 10 oz vacuum packed bricks that are easily stowed and last a very long time. We buy a 4-brick pack at Costco for around $10.

We like Bustelo too. Inexpensive, robust, and a consistent grind that performs well with lower pressure espresso and drip machines. I am having some right now...

Old 14-04-2021, 11:02   #63

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

The Mocha Express coffee pots come in all sizes right up to an 8 cup version. As I am the only real coffee drinker in my household, I have the small three cup versions which makes enough coffee for two mugs of coffee for me (espresso style) and I have a similar size one on my boat. My parents, when they were alive, always had the six cup version for pretty well as long as I have been alive (I'm 73) 'cos I managed to pull the pot off the table at 14 months old and scald my right arm and chest and put me in isolation for a month, didn't put me off real coffee but did make me left handed!
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 16:05   #64

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Again, thank you all for a truly great thread. I’ll try out several of the suggestions. As always, the responses provide insights and experiences which are very useful and I do sincerely appreciate them.
The crew might respond to the cold water, cheap instant coffee cure but I’m afraid they will seek a Federal injunction for protection under the Marine Mammal act. A 316 stainless double wall...big...mocha pot will be my next purchase.
Two last requests..which grinder as I’ve never owned one or should I stick with ground and brick coffee.
Happy trails to all
Mark and his unruly and spoiled manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 17:20   #65

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Again, thank you all for a truly great thread. I’ll try out several of the suggestions. As always, the responses provide insights and experiences which are very useful and I do sincerely appreciate them.
The crew might respond to the cold water, cheap instant coffee cure but I’m afraid they will seek a Federal injunction for protection under the Marine Mammal act. A 316 stainless double wall...big...mocha pot will be my next purchase.
Two last requests..which grinder as I’ve never owned one or should I stick with ground and brick coffee.
Happy trails to all
Mark and his unruly and spoiled manatee crew.
Grinder advice: do not buy the GSI backpacking version. It grinds well but has a very limited lifetime. We destroyed ours in about a year. We are now using this one: Coffee-ology - Portable Manual Coffee Bean Grinder - it works well and is very well made.

My 2 cents re coffee makers: Yes to double-walled, 316 stainless French Press but we also have an Aeropress (with reusable stainless filter) and a couple of Bialetti's.

Much depends on where we are making the coffee, how much we need and who is drinking it. Coffee is a serious matter, particularly during the first few days of a long passage when for some people many favourite things don't taste quite right.
Old 14-04-2021, 17:45   #66

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlane1181 View Post
We can recommend AeroPress when small quantities are desired, and Bialetti Oceana when larger quantities are needed.

The advantage of the AeroPress over many other press-style devices is that the grounds are easily disposed of with a simple twist of the filter holder and final press of the plunger. Zero mess.

- https://aeropress.com/
- https://www.bialetti.com/it_en/oceana
I'll have to check that out. My French press makes great coffee, but it is a mess to clean.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 09:46   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Two last requests..which grinder as I’ve never owned one or should I stick with ground and brick coffee.....
I have two grinders but this is the one I like the best,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The first grinder I bought is very narrow, maybe an inch in diameter, which I found hard to hold. The grinder in the link has a larger diameter and is easier to hold.

Having said that, it takes quite a bit of effort to hand grind the coffee beans, but that is a good thing. It does get the heart rate up and my hand strength has increased greatly and I did not have weak hand strength to begin with.

The first grinder is made of bronze or brass and is very nice. Maybe it will be easier to use now. The other thing is to look for in a grinder is to have a long enough handle so your hand does not hit the grinder when grinding.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 10:19   #68

I use a grinder like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013R3Q7B2...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

And this insulated French Press:

https://www.amazon.com/Large-French-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

And this vacuum storage container for beans:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm happy with the whole system. They don't take up too much space and are very sturdy. Good coffee is important to me and these both scratch the itch.
Pelican_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 11:47   #69

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican_38 View Post
I have a grinder like this as well, but I paid 1/3 the price on Amazon. It seems this vendor is distinguishing himself by great customer service - whether that is worth 3 times the price is debatable. The big feature of this grinder is that it has ceramic burrs, which stay sharp and grind coffee with less effort. Stainless burrs are not quite as good, and iron burrs less so. The problem with this grinder design is that the plastic part that connects the burr to the shaft was designed poorly and tends to break - a very common complaint in the reviews. If you have access to a 3D printer it is easy to pull down a better design for the part and print it yourself or have it made for you at a 3D printing service (it would cost more than the grinder to have it made though). I'm very happy with the grinder now that I have the sturdy plastic part.

Quote:
And this insulated French Press:

https://www.amazon.com/Large-French-...ef=sr_1_1_sspa
Looks great.

Quote:
And this vacuum storage container for beans:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...asin_title_s01
$68 for coffee storage. You must really like your coffee.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 12:16   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
I have a grinder like this as well, but I paid 1/3 the price on Amazon. It seems this vendor is distinguishing himself by great customer service - whether that is worth 3 times the price is debatable. The big feature of this grinder is that it has ceramic burrs, which stay sharp and grind coffee with less effort. Stainless burrs are not quite as good, and iron burrs less so. The problem with this grinder design is that the plastic part that connects the burr to the shaft was designed poorly and tends to break - a very common complaint in the reviews. If you have access to a 3D printer it is easy to pull down a better design for the part and print it yourself or have it made for you at a 3D printing service (it would cost more than the grinder to have it made though). I'm very happy with the grinder now that I have the sturdy plastic part.

Looks great.

$68 for coffee storage. You must really like your coffee.

Greg
I'm sure I didn't pay $68 for storage - those are the items I have, not sure what they cost back when I bought them. I've also never had a problem with my grinder breaking. But each of these items has a number of clones - probably made in the same factory with different reseller's marks on them so shop around.
Pelican_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 23:23   #71

+1 for Aeropress on a boat. Makes good coffe but its main selling points for me are it's compact, robust and, topmost, it uses little water to clean. Every French press I've owned takes an unconscionable amount of water to rinse the grounds away. The grounds in an aeropress push out straight into the bin in a near-dry pill.
Differentroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2021, 06:35   #72

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

+++ aeropress

We use ours EVERYDAY! Cleanup as easy as removing the cap, pushing the plunger down into the trash and a quick wipe with a small piece of paper towel.

And you’ll find that you will come up with your own “recipe” of how to make your coffee just how you like it.

https://amzn.to/3mZpGwF

We boil our water using a Krups electric kettle as we have plenty of solar.

https://amzn.to/3tsKLlG
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 04:54   #73

Boat: Moody 39

SWMBO was at the point of divorcing me and marrying her Nespresso machine. Yeah, she likes her coffee. Power use and general boat unfriendliness of it made her start looking at alternatives.
She tried the Aeropress, didn't get on with it.
Has now got a Wacaco Nanpresso. Says it is pretty much as good as the Nespresso, with the massive advantage of running from grounds rather than capsules. Although you can put Nespresso capsules in it too. Big win and very boat friendly.
SY Kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 09:14   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
While ships capsizing during rough waters at sea is not unheard of, this particular storm, that sank a vessel on Tuesday had some extraordinary powers. ...
Does this mean we should, or should not, use a electric coffee maker?

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 13:11   #75

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

I flew for DHL as a Cargo Captain for eight years. The aircraft (B757) only had a hot cup and a mini warming oven. I love real coffee , can't stand instant so I carried a French Handpresso in my Nav bag. it takes minipods or you can buy separately, refillable capsules that came in a a small box (bit like a small glasses case) that carried three capsules. I carried a small jar of ground coffee in my suitcase and refilled the capsules on my turnarounds, carried two boxes (six capsules) The Handpresso has a small pump and a pressure gauge that you pump up to 16 bar, add boiling water in the small reservoir , add the capsule and then press a button on the side whilst holding it over your coffee cup. Brilliant little device for travelling. Used it on my boat for a couple of years but prefer the Moca pot express as its' easier and space is not an issue.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric