Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2022, 04:47   #91

Boat: Roberts 45
Re: Best Not Electric Coffee Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You want even simpler?

Just put your ground coffee in the mugs and pour hot water over it. Stir. After [...]

We call it "cowboy coffee" on my boat, [...]
aka Turkish coffee, IIRC.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 08:56   #92

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
aka Turkish coffee, IIRC.
not in Greece...
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 14:36   #93

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

The manatee crew will now switch to tea to end the thread.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 01:46   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
The manatee crew will now switch to tea to end the thread.
But what kind of teapot?
PirateFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 02:17   #95

Boat: Amigo 40, 31ft double ender

We've been pretty happy with the Nanopresso manual espresso pump. Makes good coffee with crema and all.

Since that picture was taken we added the "barista kit" that allows making two coffees at one go - less cleaning up to do.

Wacaco has a newer fancier espresso pump as well, but haven't tried that. We use a hand grinder for the coffee, makes for a nice morning / preparing to go on watch routine.
bergius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 04:48   #96

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergius View Post
We've been pretty happy with the Nanopresso manual espresso pump. Makes good coffee with crema and all.

Since that picture was taken we added the "barista kit" that allows making two coffees at one go - less cleaning up to do.

Wacaco has a newer fancier espresso pump as well, but haven't tried that. We use a hand grinder for the coffee, makes for a nice morning / preparing to go on watch routine.

Nice picture, wooden stand, and write-up. Now I want a cup and to slice a tomato!

Old 01-05-2022, 18:06   #97

Boat: TBD

I own a coffee roasting business and I personally love the Aeropress. It works best with a fine ground coffee. Only makes 1 cup at a time though but is also good for a pretty much what could pass for an espresso.
Turkish coffee is great too BUT most people cannot get the coffee ground fine enough. You need a grinder that can grind to at least an expresso grind. If you do not have a grinder that can get it there then you can use a Mortar & Pestel to get it right.
There are plenty of stainless steel French press coffee makers, for French press you want a really coarse grind otherwise it can be very gritty.
There are also several insulated stainless steel pour overs that can do 4 cups. You would use the same grind you would for drip coffee maker.
Lot's of options.
Coffee that is roasted and consumed the same day is never ever going to be as good as coffee that was roasted and allowed to rest for 3 days. To get the true taste of any coffee from a roast, you need to cup the coffee. And if you like dark roasted coffee you should stop wasting your money on expensive coffee and just buy Starbucks or Folgers.
Fishigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 01:52   #98
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Best Not Electric Coffee Maker

I use a insulated stainless cafetière ( French press for the across the ponders ) 3-4 cups.

I’ve no time for the gourmet coffee nonsense personally. It should have stayed in Seattle
Old 02-05-2022, 05:30   #99

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I use a insulated stainless cafetière ( French press for the across the ponders ) 3-4 cups.

I’ve no time for the gourmet coffee nonsense personally. It should have stayed in Seattle

Trust me, the gourmet (third wave) coffee movement has been a good thing. If you're used to french press or other decent preparation methods, you'd probably be horrified at the sludge many Americans used to drink before the gourmet coffee movement. Think of the cheapest beans (or worse yet, poor quality instant coffee), pre-ground and stale, and then prepared in the lowest quality drip machine possible (or worse, a percolator). If you're used to even half-decent coffee, some of that stuff would barely be recognizable as coffee
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 13:47   #100
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Trust me, the gourmet (third wave) coffee movement has been a good thing. If you're used to french press or other decent preparation methods, you'd probably be horrified at the sludge many Americans used to drink before the gourmet coffee movement. Think of the cheapest beans (or worse yet, poor quality instant coffee), pre-ground and stale, and then prepared in the lowest quality drip machine possible (or worse, a percolator). If you're used to even half-decent coffee, some of that stuff would barely be recognizable as coffee

I know, I lived in philly in the 80s , nothing there could be recognised by a European as coffee.
Old 02-05-2022, 17:14   #101

Boat: CT 48

I was surprised how many people were drinking nescafe in Europe when I was there last, it seemed like it was either that or espresso... So it's not just the US that has had a lot of mediocre options.

For the boat, a stainless french press and a hand grinder (ceramic burr type) are the best solutions IMO. No consumable parts, everything is easily cleaned, and if you grind right, no grit.

I'll echo Fishigan though, not a fan of dark roasts.
Old 02-05-2022, 18:17   #102

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugsgomoo View Post
I'll echo Fishigan though, not a fan of dark roasts.
What, you don't like scorched coffee beans? the flavor of burnt coffee?

In the U.S. an Italian roast is dark but not oily like a French roast. I can't speak for the French, but never in my 2+ years in Italy did I find coffee roasted as dark as "Italian" roast in the U.S. I don't know how it got started but it really is a terrible thing to do to good coffee. Then again, I don't add sugar, milk, cream, or whatever is the current fashion, to my coffee. So the flavor matters...

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 18:39   #103

Had a rather nasty accident with the Aeropress inversion method and now have a Bobble Presse:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bobble+presse+coffee+maker
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 18:43   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugsgomoo View Post
I was surprised how many people were drinking nescafe in Europe when I was there last, it seemed like it was either that or espresso... So it's not just the US that has had a lot of mediocre options.
Yep. When we were in a rural area of Ireland, the small grocery store had plenty of tea to pick from, which was not a surprise, but only one ground coffee to buy, which was from eastern Europe. Was kinda surprised at the lack of selection. Figured there would a couple coffees to select. I do believe they had Nescafe. I had family members who would drink Nestea(Instant tea). THAT stuff was FOUL!

Drank coffee here and there in Ireland, and it was acceptable, just like in the US. Best hot drink we had was hot chocolate. That stuff was amazing!

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 08:14   #105
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Yep. When we were in a rural area of Ireland, the small grocery store had plenty of tea to pick from, which was not a surprise, but only one ground coffee to buy, which was from eastern Europe. Was kinda surprised at the lack of selection. Figured there would a couple coffees to select. I do believe they had Nescafe. I had family members who would drink Nestea(Instant tea). THAT stuff was FOUL!

Drank coffee here and there in Ireland, and it was acceptable, just like in the US. Best hot drink we had was hot chocolate. That stuff was amazing!

Later,

Dan

Ireland is the second biggest consumer of tea per capita , so coffee was never a drink outside the “ big smoke “ cities. Still isn’t.

Of course the “ third wave “arrived there too and now it’s all lattes etc.

But to someone who spent time in Europe the pour over coffee in the US was something else in the 80s.

Now it’s got ridiculous , Ive gone back to filter coffee, a latte in Greece is now 3.50 to €4 euros, no thanks , mind you my goto cafe in Lefkada is still doing it for €1.90.

Tags
electric