Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2022, 09:18   #106

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Best Not Electric Coffee Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Ireland is the second biggest consumer of tea per capita , so coffee was never a drink outside the “ big smoke “ cities. Still isn’t.

Of course the “ third wave “arrived there too and now it’s all lattes etc.

But to someone who spent time in Europe the pour over coffee in the US was something else in the 80s.

Now it’s got ridiculous , Ive gone back to filter coffee, a latte in Greece is now 3.50 to €4 euros, no thanks , mind you my goto cafe in Lefkada is still doing it for €1.90.
I'm with you on the mostly brewed coffee of various preparations. That's my standard. I'll occasionally get a cappucino or latte at a coffee shop, but my normal consumption is some variant of either drip, pour over, aeropress, etc. I just stick to at least decent quality stuff for it (although I'm less fussy on the boat due to space limitations for a grinder, etc.)
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 13:50   #107

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Ireland is the second biggest consumer of tea per capita , so coffee was never a drink outside the “ big smoke “ cities. Still isn’t.
When I was there in the late 90's I found a decent franchise coffee shop in Cork. It was an American chain, Norma Jean's, and had very good coffee (much better than Starbucks). There was another good chain that I can't remember the name of. But of course most of their customers were not there for black espressos or Americanos, but it was a place I could buy good coffee beans.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:32   #108

Boat: Pearson 385

Perk coffee, remove basket from perkolator, pour into vacuum carafe. We have 12c HOT coffee for hours. No filters required.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211226_160850.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	257145  
MWGDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 09:01   #109

Boat: SeaRunner 37, 11.3 metres

I like the coffee press method best. In rough weather, or just a drink for myself, I use the Stanley coffee press/mug as it requires only one pouring of a scalding liquid. It is a coffee press that is also a commuter coffee mug, so you can both brew and drink from the same container with only the one pour and only opening it once. Stainless steel,vacuum insulated, BPA free, etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stanley Coffee Press Mug.PNG
Views:	41
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	257158

I also use a whistling tea kettle on the stovetop so I have basically a mostly closed container with scalding water not able to splash around in rough seas and with a small spout to make pouring scalding liquid more controllable.
Old 05-05-2022, 09:16   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
For both the Aeropress and a lot of pourover devices, you can get a metal mesh filter as an alternative to the paper filters. It produces a somewhat different brew, so if you have both types you get more options. I alternate between the mesh and paper for my Aeropress at home depending on what coffee I'm brewing and my mood that day.

Be sure to get the gold-plated reusable filters for a "richer" flavor!
Old 05-05-2022, 09:59   #111

And another thing...

I like Half & Half in my coffee, but refrigerated space is scarce.

I've used "Ultra-Pasteurized" H&H of the Walmart brand stored unopened and unrefrigerated for 3 months without a problem. Once opened will last unrefrigerated for up to 4 days. It is sold in the refrigerated dairy section, not because it needs refrigeration, but because that's where people expect to find it and also it markets better there than on a shelf.

It is marketed as "Ultra-Pasterized, which is the same as UHT (Ultra-High Temperature" method used in the small single-serving tubs that places such as McDonald's provides for their dairy cream for their coffee. But those little tubs are expensive and produce so much trash!

Of course, the cooler you store it the better it lasts.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:40   #112
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Yes in Greece I buy 1 litre uht milk that’s last 8 months unopened and more then a week in the fridge. It’s not good milk though. At home my local farm has a micro pasteurisor and boy is that milk.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:39   #113

Quote:
Yes in Greece I buy 1 litre uht milk that’s last 8 months unopened and more then a week in the fridge. It’s not good milk though. At home my local farm has a micro pasteurisor and boy is that milk.
Is that regular whole milk, or half cream and half milk? The UHT Half & Half that I get at Walmart is as good IMO as the regularly pasteurized Half & Half I also frequently purchase. I don't recall ever having tasted UHT milk.

I observed, empirically, that milk with a higher fat content, such as whole milk, lasts much longer than skim (0% fat) milk, and IMO, tastes better to me.

In the Corporate States of America (formerly the U.S.A before large corporations bought our politicians), all public store-bought "fresh" cow-produced milk is pasteurized and homogenized, and typically comes in three grades; whole milk ( 30 mg/mL fat content), low-fat (?), and skim milk (0 g/mL fat content).

Half & Half has 116 mg/mL fat content. That's why it's so good!
Old 06-05-2022, 06:09   #114
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

The uht milk in Greece I mentioned (€0.90 a litre ) is available in 1%
And 3%.

Half and half is something not commonly seen in Europe at all

Full day straight from the farm and pasteurised locally and NOT homogenised makes a simply beautiful milk for coffee. But it’s only in recent years you could get any form of fresh milk in med countries.
Old 06-05-2022, 06:13   #115

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRN View Post
In the Corporate States of America (formerly the U.S.A before large corporations bought our politicians), all public store-bought "fresh" cow-produced milk is pasteurized and homogenized, and typically comes in three grades; whole milk ( 30 mg/mL fat content), low-fat (?), and skim milk (0 g/mL fat content).

I typically see 4 grades available. Whole (4% milkfat), 2%, 1%, and skim (0% milkfat). It's all pasteurized, but most is not ultra-pasteurized. Half and half is often ultra-pasteurized though. And the ultra-pasteurized stuff does last a whole lot longer (for half and half it's often fine for 3 - 4 weeks after opening in the fridge, regular milk is often only good for 5 - 7 days).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 06:31   #116

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

OP did a military person sign on and tell you yet. They make coffee anywhere.
We use a French press or bodum. I dislike paper filters.
I keep hearing about new stuff 12-24V geared for boats. Listening to the experts in the forum are always informative. Suspicions confirmed by measuring my own home appliance stuffed in a boat.
I have a Samsung TV and two BeoLab 3 Speakers added. My wife plugged two things into the kitchen. A replacement Microwave and a new Fridge. The speakers and TV turned off are using 1amp hour a day! The 120$ microwave 1Amp hour a day by itself. I’ve read my new fridge needs adjustment to use min amp hours.
Bottom line is every home appliance we tax our inverters with consume battery all the time. Now I unplug the TV and Speakers but i am going to change it to a switch circuit.
The Samsung was actually using very little. The speakers have a processor and 2 150Watt Ice Amps but it was the Wisa box talking to the TV using juice to be instant on. Who knew?
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:01   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I typically see 4 grades available. Whole (4% milkfat), 2%, 1%, and skim (0% milkfat). It's all pasteurized, but most is not ultra-pasteurized. Half and half is often ultra-pasteurized though. And the ultra-pasteurized stuff does last a whole lot longer (for half and half it's often fine for 3 - 4 weeks after opening in the fridge, regular milk is often only good for 5 - 7 days).
Thanks. I store the unopened Half & Half in the coolest parts of the boat or with the other unrefrigerated foods, and the opened in the refrigerator if there's room. Opened H&H outside the refrigerator typically lasts about 4 days unless the temperatures gets above 25 C or so.

I used the amount per serving of total fat, example 3.5 g, divided by the arbitrarily stated "serving size", example 30 mL, to get the fat mg/mL.

I did it this way instead of the 4% example because the 4% represents the percentage of the US specific "Daily Value" which may not be in international agreement.

For those not familiar with the US Daily Value, "The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice."

Therefore,, the 4% example can only be used in comparison for a product of the same arbitrary serving size with a 2000 kcal daily diet. The serving size here in the US is decided by the producer/manufacturer, and is often skewed in favor of marketing hype, both to reduce the number of fat, sodium, cholesterol, etc., and to misrepresent the amount of servings per package. These serving sizes are mostly completely unrealistic and the use misleading.

Note: In the US the term "calories" as used for food labeling is actually a Calorie (capital C), or properly a kilocalorie (kcal). A food kcal is equivalent to 4 186.8 J. A 2000 kcal diet is equivalent to an 8 373.6 kJ diet.
Old 11-05-2022, 07:12   #118

Boat: C&C Red Wing 35'

I use stainless steel French press but when those days we don’t have any sun shine and our solar power bank not charged enough, we do cold brew coffee. Surprisingly very good. All you need to do is soak the coffee for hours and drink it cold. Less acidity and can drink more cup in a day.
Vanessallj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric