Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2024, 01:42   #1

Boat: Danish Rose 39
Danish Rose 39 owners

Dear Sirs,
I just bought a used Danish Rose 39ft sailboat, and I am looking if someone from the group also has or know someone that also has Danish Rose sailboats. In the Internet I cant find almost nothing about the boat project.

Thanks
Marcio
MBraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2024, 05:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Danish Rose 39 owners

Perhaps contact the designer (Martin Bekebrede) or builder (Jongert?) and see if they have plans.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2024, 05:38   #3

Dear hpeer, my boat inst a Jongert. I already talked to Hans at Jongert and he told me there are also other shippiyards that builds Danih Rose. I tried also Mr Martin Bekebrede but he told me he oly make plans and dont build them. so didnt helped much. Thanks for ansering
Old 11-03-2024, 06:07   #4

See pictures of the boat
Old 11-03-2024, 06:10   #5

Old 11-03-2024, 06:21   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You need some minimum number of posts to post pictures.
Just respond to me or others a few rimes. I think it is 10 posts minimum.

BTW I have admired the Danis Rose boats, quite lively and pricy.

Is there some specific question?
Old 12-03-2024, 04:39   #7

Hi Hpeer, I am having trouble with the Diesel Tank. It has a big Stainless Steel tank, just below the motor. I opened the hole for the level sensor and almost sinked the boat. through the hole of the Level sensor entered lots of salt water, without stop. We bought a big pump 220V and installed inside the boat. without this big pump the boat would be under water.
do you have any idea how is so much water entering the diesel tank ?
Old 12-03-2024, 05:33   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My immediate thought is you have a hole in the hull AND a hole in the tank. I have seen some, too much, dissimilar metal corrosion between Stainless and mild steel especially if they are bolted connections.

My assumptions and questions.
The Danish Rose is a steel hull boat.
The steel is mild steel or coreten.
The Stainless tank is sitting in the keel void.
There is something around the tank to seal the void between the tank and hull.

I believe you will have to haul the boat, put it in land. Then you will know where the water is coming in.

The problem you will have is contaminated water, what to do with it. It may not be a big deal, but it may contain a lot of diesel.

I had a SS water tank in the hull. I could never keep it dry, nor could I adequately clean and paint it. So it would get some rust and I would struggle to deal with it. My solution was to take out the water tank and convert the space to being a diesel tank. The diesel tank was under the cockpit and there was bad hull corrosion under it. So I took that out, fixed the hull, and replaced it with a water tank.

I know of another steel boat that has some keel areas sealed off, welded over. No clue what is in there but they sound hollow.

I saw an aluminum with a hole in the hull that went to a fresh water tank. The Owner did not know of the hole.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.
Old 12-03-2024, 07:31   #9

The boat has a sad history, the further owner went on a world trip in 2015, but stoped I believe wihtout knowing in front of the most dangerous favela in Sao Luis/MA - Brazil. and was murdered unfortunately. now after 8 years it was sold on a Government bid.
https://www.oceanuslive.org/main/vie...x?uid=00000968
Old 12-03-2024, 07:36   #10

Hi Hpeer,

The Danish is made of nautic steel, very good one, almost 15 ton, for a 39ft boot.

What I dont understant is how can be only water entering the Diesel Tank, and not the boat.

The boat is now in Sao Luis /Ma - Brazil, and there the ocean level changes almost 6m a day, so we will put the boat close to sand, and wait the ocean level to go down. then the idea is to fill the tank with some coloured water and look where it goes out.

we will do this next week

thanks a lot
Marcio
Old 12-03-2024, 09:12   #11

Hpeer, one more question: do you know if Stainless Steel Diesel Tanks have botton opening for cleaning ? that can be open ?

because there is only salt water inside the Diesel Tank, and no other place.

Thanks
Marcio
Old 12-03-2024, 09:18   #12

MBraile said: "I opened the hole for the level sensor and almost sinked the boat. through the hole of the Level sensor entered lots of salt water, without stop"

Ouch! you have a multifaceted problem here.

1) With that much water in the diesel tank the fuel will be so contaminated that the water separator fitted to the engine fuel uptake will not be able to cope with it. Therefore you must NOT start the engine on risk of destroying it!

2) You can install a TEMPORARY fuel tank and fill it with clean, new fuel and run the engine on that till you get to a boatyard. Do NOT try to start the engine until it is connected to this clean fuel supply!

3) If you do NOT have water in the bilge even though it spurts from the gauge-hole when you remove the cover, the implication is that the tank is integral to the hull so that seawater cannot get between the hull plating and the tank wall because the two are one and the same. That cannot be if the hull i steel and the tank is aluminum, so something requires further investigation.

4) I should be very, very careful about careening the boat on a beach. You cannot know with certainty that she will, once lying on her side, rise again when the tide comes back in. Boats have been known to fill with water in those circumstances! You are better off, I would think, by installing a temporary fuel supply and motoring to a yard where the boat can be put on dry land. Once you can examine her bottom at leisure you may well find that if there is one hole, there will be others, or there will be "thin spots" that will require repair.

Let us know how you go!

Bonne chance!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2024, 10:26   #13

Many Thans TrentePieds, i will do my best and return to you
Old 12-03-2024, 10:42   #14

Hi TrentePieds, do you know if it is possible that the Tank has a botton opening to clean it ? or you believe more that it is broken ? do Tanks has openings below seaeater level ?
Old 12-03-2024, 12:14   #15

Boat: Volkscruiser

MBraile I bet it is an integral tank with a stainless steel lid. Fairly common as is integral tanks leaking. Usually near a stringer or on the bottom of the keel. This is going to be the issue when you beach her. There's a fair chance the sand will hide the hole. If not and the hole is visible you're going to need a product like JB weld to do an emergency repair until you can slip the boat.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote