Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2011, 18:31   #1

Boat: Island Packet 45 - Far Niente
12vdc Coffee Maker

For the better part of 18 months we used a Cusinart 12 vdc coffee maker for our daily brew and caffeine fix.

Then we installed our new MasterVolt battery charger. Shortly there after the coffee maker died. I don'tknow if the 2 events are related.

There is no fuse to replace and no way to disassemble to inspect the circuitry of the coffee maker.

So we took the coffee maker back to West Marine, where we purchased it, and asked for a replacement. We obtained a replacement with no problems.

So tonight, following the directions that came in the box, I ran a pot of water through the new 12 vdc unit, or at least tried to.

The unit die after a cup or so.

All other 12 vdc appliances, lights, pumps etc. continue to work without a problem. The breaker is fine and the 'cig' outlet is working fine.

I am just wondering if any other Cruisers have had this issue with the Cusinart 12 vdc coffee maker. Is the circuitry just cheap and nonrobust?

I don't know what else to think.

Taking it back to West Marine. Guess we'll move to perk or french press?

Thanks,

Jeff Graham
s/v Far Niente
IP 45 #33
Currently lying Marathon, FL
JeffGIP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 18:35   #2

Boat: 1972 Tartan 34C Fleur De Mer
Re: 12 vdc Coffee Maker

Jeff, check the plug for a fuse ( I cannot believe there is no fuse in the line)sometimes the plug metal end unscrews and the fuse is in there, However I am wondering as a Coffee nut why arent you using a french press?
CDunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 18:48   #3

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I had a 12v coffee maker that I got at a truck stop but it wasn't very good. Truck stops have a lot of 12v DC stuff. Now I usually use a Melitta filter holder that sits on top of the cup, works great. I also have a French press, a stove top espresso pot, and a Turkish coffee pot, and a tiny backpacker's coffee filter screen, none of which use electricity but all are harder to wash than the Melitta thing.
I also use a Turkish hand coffee grinder that I got on ebay, shipped straight from Istanbul. I love it.
I think maybe I have a coffee problem.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 19:17   #4

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

French Press, preferably stainless (I have 2), wash? never...rinse only. Same pot for 8 years, I've only had to weld on a plunger handle...low maintenance. Hate to say it, it was from Starbucks, newer ones aren't the same.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 20:44   #5

Big fan of the percolator into a nissan thermos mug.

Rebel Heart - Sailing, cruising, liveaboard blog and website - Eric's Blog - the best way to have coffee on a*sailboat
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 20:57   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

A long time ago I bought a 12 volt drip coffee maker. It took forever and the coffee wasn't very good. It was either trashed or gotten rid of at a garage sale. Now it is either a percolator on the gas range or better yet, a french press. The one we have is stainless steel and insulated. Our only problem is deciding whether to keep it on the boat or at home. I suspect we will buy another and solve the problem.

Rich

edit: the one we have is not, definitely not, cheap but it should last a lifetime. Here is the amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Frieling-Ultim...8782682&sr=8-8
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 21:25   #7

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
I think maybe I have a coffee problem.
Get some perspective, man.

You have a boat problem. Coffee helps you deal with that.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 21:25   #8
Marine Service Provider

Starbucks have a great new one , instead of stainless frame ,it is protected in a plastic frame therefore more robust and wont break easily. Its a genuine Bodum
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 00:52   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Fuse?

There may be a fuse in the "cigarette lighter" plug.

My opinion: There's nothing quite as simple or as good as Aeropress. I did have to buy a stainless campers mug to warm the coffee over the stove though.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 01:28   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I also wonder if the wiring to the cigarette socket is up to the job or even the socket itself. Do these things heat water and therefore take lots of amps? could be the wiring isn't up to it. Had a similar problem with a Waeco portable CF18 fridge, wiring wasn't large enough to pass the current. Replaced wire and cigarette socket and all sorted.

We don't have a posh coffee maker, this side of the pond coffee comes in a glass jar and is made quickly in a mug. However, making tea, well now that is a proper ceremony.

Pete
Attached Images

Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 16:46   #11

Boat: Endeavour 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay
There may be a fuse in the "cigarette lighter" plug.

My opinion: There's nothing quite as simple or as good as Aeropress. I did have to buy a stainless campers mug to warm the coffee over the stove though.
I agree with you on the Aeropress! Good coffee and very easy cleanup!
Trox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 17:12   #12

Boat: Silverton 42

Not to drift but we use a percolator and a coleman stove in the cockpit. Its quiet, doesn't drain batts, doesn't need the genny and the percolator makes the BEST coffee. So much so that at home we stopped using our cone filter drip coffee maker and bought a large stove top percolator. ahhhhh, good to the last drop (no, not Maxwellhouse, not Ricardo: Starbucks).
Cheers,
Bill
Bill Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 17:33   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 12 vdc Coffee Maker

French Press for my coffee (when not instant GB) and also great for my Green Tea with Cardamoms, chilli powder and sugar....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 19:16   #14

Boat: 1972 Contest 33
Re: 12vdc Coffee Maker

Green tea too? Good to know. Everyone is forgetting the thermos by the companionway to keep what you made hot all day long.
Old 08-03-2011, 19:30   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Re: 12vdc Coffee Maker

For the boat I go with a French Press it just makes a decent cup of real coffee. Propane boils water real fast one large mug at a time. They make them in large and small for company. The cheap plastic ones work just as well.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote