Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-11-2019, 13:26   #12

Boat: 55' Romsdal
Re: Full Keel Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I mean sail past newer, lighter boats? Because I've never actually seen that happen much except I pretty often have races where I can pass a lighter, newer, competitor (rival) for a leg or two, but they are always ahead at the finish. They are 30 sec/mile faster.

I guess your rating would be about 160 which means you would be expected to be about minute a mile slower than a typical newer, lighter, boat in all around conditions. So if you are actually faster, that is pretty good.

How often have you don that?
We never raced Anthem. We cruised in her. That said, anytime two sailboats are headed in the same direction there is a race on, and I never felt at a disadvantage to lighter, more modern designs, mostly because I didn't find it all that difficult to close the gap, or widen it once ahead. Perhaps it is because my boat on a 31.5' waterline carried about 60 ft2 less than your 44 foot boat. Maybe it's because whenever I was as fast or faster than a lighter boat of the same size it was because the other boat's captain wasn't a good sailor. Who knows, and who cares. No doubt I'd lose in the Saturday yacht club matches, but over some distance, not quite as likely. If one concludes that a hull design that takes first, second and third place in a long distance race isn't that great for sailing long distances it speaks to confirmation bias, not yacht design, and that was really my point.

Tags
boat, grass, keel, sail, sailboat