Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 23-01-2022, 09:26   #3601
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Captin View Post
Every once in a while you come across a boat and ask your self, I must be missing something?
Take a look at this beauty ! At a price that seems a misprint ? If I was ready to pull the trigger, I would be jumping in the car for a long road trip,lol.
Asking 18,000.
THE LINK .https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1978...utter-7954950/
Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this boat, and why it would look this good in pictures with an upgraded interior at this price.
Thanks Lady Captin.
What a lovely boat!

The included survey details all the issues. Most of them are manageable with determination: work or money. Some can be ignored if you don't care, for insurance purposes.

Someone has recently thrown lots of money at this. For example, the upholstery is Brisa Ultraleather (swoon!) which is more than $80 per yard!
The dodger, sailcover and windlass cover are new. Something about the fit of the dodger looks like an experienced amateur job, not a professional. It's pretty good, just not perfect. The UV-strip on the roller-furler yankee jib is still blue.

Lots of good gear; bow platform, windlass, wind vane steering, self-tailing winches, plus lots of shippy features that set certain pulses racing:
(Boomkin! Teak fore and aft decks! Belaying pins! Fife rail! Boom gallows! Butterfly hatch! Bronze dorades! Dead lights!)

However, this is a very small boat. Dark interior. No side decks. Short cockpit, tiller steering, wooden boom. Very small tanks. Heavy boat, probably sails slowly.

Reputed to be very well-built. Very, very few around and, again, a cult boat in its day.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 09:29   #3602

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Every once in a while you come across a boat and ask your self, I must be missing something?

Take a look at this beauty ! At a price that seems a misprint ? If I was ready to pull the trigger, I would be jumping in the car for a long road trip,lol.

Asking 18,000. THE LINK .https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1978...utter-7954950/

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this boat, and why it would look this good in pictures with an upgraded interior at this price.

Thanks Lady Captin.
This boat is near me in my harbor, but I haven't taken a look at it. You are right though, at first blush it looks nice in the pictures. BUT my first thought is, flush deck and no windows, or port holes, in fact not much ventilation it seems. It will be a dark, and maybe damp, cave to live in. The interior does look nice though. It is also a design that harkens back to a day when the lifeboat was seen as the most seaworthy hull shape. So it was designed (and someone took it to the extreme by making it a windowless flush deck) to weather and ride out a storm well, but will be lacking in sailing performance. Blisters are not necessarily a deal breaker, and new rudders can be built. No mention of sails. Still, it still looks like it should be worth more. The big three are engine, sails and rigging (once the hull is deemed ok) in that order in my book. I suspect there will be needs found in those that will be expensive.
Be careful not to fall in love with a boat from afar.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 10:42   #3603

Sweet looking but wow 20,000 lbs, 6,600 ballast
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 11:41   #3604

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Found this one listed at only 18,000 dollars .

1978 Crealock Kendall 32 Cutter32'
$18,000

LINK.https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1978...utter-7954950/

I would love to have feed back on this boat, at this price with these pictures I must be missing something?

Sorry slow internet, so you have to go to link to get photos,

LadyCaptin

Not really a great deal. The are basically a Westsail 32, without a cabin, which are not a great boat for going to weather. I just bought Pearson 365 (36ft) for less money. Sails better and more room inside. That boat requires a 40' slip. Mine fits into a 36'; slip. Less money a month.
Hang in there.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 12:37   #3605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Not really a great deal. The are basically a Westsail 32, without a cabin, which are not a great boat for going to weather. I just bought Pearson 365 (36ft) for less money. Sails better and more room inside. That boat requires a 40' slip. Mine fits into a 36'; slip. Less money a month.
Hang in there.
Deals like your one keep my dreams alive after
laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 13:01   #3606
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Found this one listed at only 18,000 dollars .

1978 Crealock Kendall 32 Cutter32'
$18,000

LINK.https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1978...utter-7954950/

I would love to have feed back on this boat, at this price with these pictures I must be missing something?

Sorry slow internet, so you have to go to link to get photos,

LadyCaptin
That is an interesting boat, because it is unusual, from a respected designer, and has a nice interior.. Thanks for adding it to this thread.

At a glance, I like interior design (use of wood with white surfaces).
It is a style I find attractive in wood boats (traditional boats).

And it does appear that the owner has spent some money on new items for the boat. And the engine compartment looks very clean.

But, I read all of the comments from other CF Members who saw this and commented before me, and I agree with their observations too. Each makes good points (positive or negatives) about what they see in the boat.

I particularly like what DonCL and CelestialSailor wrote, as both raised some cautions about this boat, and CelestialSailor's point about the cost to keep this boat in a slip is a good one.

As for a "dark cave" boat?
I think this boat will be dark inside, if one depends on natural sunlight. It does appear that there is a butterfly hatch (skylight) in the center of the saloon, aft of the mast. Many traditional boats would have one there. But the other areas in the boat would require artificial lighting of some type, even if using the boat during the day.

Today I think the addition of small LED lights throughout the cabin spaces could keep the interior well lit, and could be pleasing too. Even LED puck lights or use of some inexpensive LED rope lights or LED strips could be done, to keep the interior well lit, with either a bright white or warm white light. In the old days, a sailor would depend on a kerosene lamp or oil lamp. As I suspect this boat will spend most of its time in a marina, with shore power, using artificial lighting should not be a problem.

Given that the interior has a mostly white surface, I think use of LED lights could keep it "bright" inside, and if using dimmers on the lights, could be modified to keep the interior well lit in an appealing level of light.

But, to the other points, such as this hull design and type.

It probably would be a boat that stayed at the marina (as most do), in the slip. And if one is looking at it as a place to spend the night, weekend, or even live aboard, that boat may be suitable, and even comfortable, especially if one has a diesel fireplace/heater keeping it warm and dry inside, while on the foggy California coast. If used in a tropical location, this boat may lack ventilation and that could make it uncomfortable below. It does have two Dorade vents on deck, but that may not be enough to keep a good flow of air through the boat if at anchor or in the marina. Something to consider.

It would probably not be as much fun to sail as more modern, or as fast as lighter designs, in lighter winds, but it might be comfortable in stronger winds. Would fun be important? There are some who truly enjoy sailing older, traditional boats. So that is really a personal choice. Speed is not everything.

I think for most people, they want to enjoy sailing. But for others, sitting in a nicely kept boat in a slip is pleasure too. Different strokes...

Would you have crew to help sail her? Or would you be doing it alone? This boat will likely be less responsive and slower than most boats, and that different type of sailing may not suit some sailors who prefer faster, more nimble boats.

Many boats never get much sailing, and in California (due to cost of housing), many look for a boat for other purposes (liveaboard or entertainment, etc.).

The price is low. But one would need to consider the needed repairs needed to the hull and rudder. If not doing that work yourself, it could add thousands of dollars to the cost.

As much as I like the look of the interior, and though I LOVE to see traditional boats, i would pass on this boat, even at the current asking price or even if it was lowered in negotiations. I think there are other, more fun to sail, more pleasing boats on the market, and with fewer risks for initial costs (to repair a hull or rudder or electrics, etc.).

It really is a personal choice of what one values, how much one wants to sail, how much one can afford (for purchase, repairs, maintenance, slip fees, etc.).

As I mentioned earlier, different strokes for different folks. This boat could make someone very happy.

Again, thanks for adding the boat to the thread, as it caused us all to think about it.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 14:10   #3607

Boat: Preparing for Great Loop 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
... this is a very small boat. Dark interior. No side decks. Short cockpit, tiller steering, wooden boom. Very small tanks. Heavy boat, probably sails slowly.
Small, but perfect for a cruising couple. Big V-Berth, big head and shower, HUGE easy access engine compartment, amazing storage... and a boat built for any ocean on the planet. For a couple looking for slow-is-fast safety, couldn't do better.
billder99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 14:22   #3608
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
Small, but perfect for a cruising couple. Big V-Berth, big head and shower, HUGE easy access engine compartment, amazing storage... and a boat built for any ocean on the planet. For a couple looking for slow-is-fast safety, couldn't do better.
https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1978...utter-7954950/

No, there isn't a V-berth (see the survey), but a largish starboard berth at the companionway. The cabin table also appears to drop down to make a double.

I agree the boat could probably cross oceans, but the protection for the person at the helm, or the person going forward, is minimal. There are better designs for that purpose, as outlined above.

I really like this boat. It would be perfect for a remake of The Riddle of the Sands!
Old 23-01-2022, 14:48   #3609

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

[QUOTE=Lady Captin;
Thanks Lady Captin.[/QUOTE]

I'll not reiterate what others have said, nor attempt to talk you into it, or out of it.
The design dates from William Atkin, ~1927/1928, and was called "Thistle" and was originally designed with the jib-headed cutter rig and flush deck.
Its twin brother-in-hull, only with a raised trunk cabin was called "Eric", and was originally a ketch.
With some re-fairing of the lines by Bill Crealock for fiberglass construction it was produced by Larry Kendall in SoCal, and very few were built and they are fairly rare.
IIRC all had interiors that were owner built.
When Kendall failed, the molds were sold at auction and the Westsail was born.
The hulls are identical, Westsail reverted to the trunk cabin of the Eric and kept the rig of the Thistle.
The very first Westsails, (~4/5 boats,) had the Kendall flush decks that were "left over" from Kendall production.
As others have posted its hull IS a Westsail, just with a different deck.
One thing not noted as yet: that big flush deck sure makes it easy to carry a dingy, and to have all kinds of "sprawling-out" room that the Westsail lacks.
Bowdrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 09:13   #3610
SuW

1984 Hunter 34 $32K Canadian (~$25K US) in Miramichi, New Brunswick, Canada.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/mir...ser/1586145947

I'm not sure about this particular boat; very little description, not very good pictures, from a phone, and no interior shots. The boat is locked. I think I've seen the ad before. Is the last picture even of this particular boat? Call Vernon, posted by Richard. Hmm.

However, the boat meets our parameters. These were a nice Chevy-type family boat back in the day, nice layout etc. They originally had diesels. Quite a few hatches and opening ports.

The price is in the middle of the pack for the age, although the condition doesn't look that good and there's not much interesting external gear for cruising: no davits, no solar, no windlass, small older anchor. The roller furler UV strip looks a different shade of blue than the dodger/bimini, so the genoa is probably old. It's hard to see but the stitching looks worn.

So, this is an older boat, not well advertised, a long way from the main markets, so I would think the price should be negotiable. Caveat emptor.
Old 25-01-2022, 23:09   #3611

Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho
1973 Irwin competition 37

1973 Irwin competition 37
$12,500
Wilmington, NC

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/663985214979948/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&refer ral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A699a9ce b-c3ed-49d4-be9a-aa85428c47a0
CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 23:14   #3612

1979 Trident voyager

1979 Trident voyager
$15,000
Galveston, TX

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...f-5fa48d5603e3
Old 25-01-2022, 23:17   #3613

1973 Gulfstar 44

1973 Gulfstar 44
$15,000
Texas City, TX

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...f-5fa48d5603e3
Old 25-01-2022, 23:37   #3614

1980 Alberg 37

1980 Alberg 37 For Sale $17,500 OBO

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/li...are_attachment
Old 26-01-2022, 00:42   #3615

Boat: Custom Catamaran
Re: 1979 Trident voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWho View Post
A good friend of mine has one of these in the UK and I can highly recommend them. They sail nicely, have a good amount of storage space and that deck saloon / pilothouse is excellent for cold, grey days with the heating on, or hot, humid days with AC going.

As long as it’s not completely rotten, I’d definitely have it on my list.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price