Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 26-02-2022, 20:49   #3751

Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raincoast View Post
Isn't that the one that was up for auction last month with extreme osmosis pox?

It needs some work, they’re kind of rare i expected it , good and bad the hull isn’t as bad as it looks in the picture but it does need work , It has been sitting on the hard for over two years , dried out pretty good has been patched quality of the work has to be evaluated
Baby tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 06:34   #3752
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby tug View Post
It needs some work, they’re kind of rare i expected it , good and bad the hull isn’t as bad as it looks in the picture but it does need work , It has been sitting on the hard for over two years , dried out pretty good has been patched quality of the work has to be evaluated
Yeah, this is a good find. That's the kind of work that's perfectly doable for an owner who is handy and reasonably fit. In a 31 foot boat, that is...

You'll be paid less than minimum wage for a few months, but, who cares?
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 09:59   #3753

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Yeah, this is a good find. That's the kind of work that's perfectly doable for an owner who is handy and reasonably fit. In a 31 foot boat, that is...

You'll be paid less than minimum wage for a few months, but, who cares?
How many hours do I have to work at $50 an hour to pay for a new boat or how many hours do I have to work to pay for a $50,000 boat your estimate on the repairs is way off but I understand this isn’t everybody’s cup of tea . I like fishers and you can’t find them Unless you don’t mind traveling to England . This boat has 7200 pounds of iron in the Keel witch itself could be a problem when iron gets wet it swells and could be a major problem but I knew that going in as well so far doesn’t appear to be a problem , fiberglass in the hull should be quite thick the keel will be solid several inches thick the hull below the waterline in my estimation should be at least an inch thick or thicker because of all the weight if nothing else , so osmosis blistering shouldn’t be an issue at all, grind fill fair paint done four or five days , five hour days . based on years of experience , personally I’m glad a lot of people don’t want to refit older boats it makes them cheaper for me .Now I feel like I’m justifying what I do and I don’t like justifying anything . when I get it done I can sell it to you it’ll be ready to go or at least make it look like it is , I’ll charge you 50,000 just to prove that is worth buying . somebody told me once always put a high price People think it’s junk if you price it well price it high and they’ll think they’re buying something even though they’re not that proved over the years to be true .Of course everybody on this forum is too savvy for that , laugh out loud
Old 27-02-2022, 10:24   #3754

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Quote:
Yeah, this is a good find. That's the kind of work that's perfectly doable for an owner who is handy and reasonably fit.
Baby tug, I'm not sure how you could interpret this comment as anything but positive?
SailingHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 13:52   #3755

Boat: 1982 Cal 31

Quote:
Nice. Where is she?

Belhaven, NC right now, Washington Yacht Club is where she's going on the 11th.
Drummer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 14:31   #3756

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHoot View Post
Baby tug, I'm not sure how you could interpret this comment as anything but positive?
Sorry I guess I’m just having a bad day I do apologize
Old 27-02-2022, 16:01   #3757
SuW

Quote:
Hey, no worries! I salute your desire to have a really nice boat at an affordable price. And by the time you're done, you'll know it bow to stern and be ready for anything.

In England those boats are very desirable, probably because of the weather, which I have to say has some similarities to the PNW.

We completely renovated our present boat. No osmosis, but everything else except the basic structure, the engine and sails was in really dire shape. It's taken 12 years, but we've loved every minute of it!
Old 28-02-2022, 12:44   #3758

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Quote:
No problem it's easy for meaning to get lost over text.
SailingHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 19:39   #3759
SuW

Quote:
What Do you think about this one 1984 Fisher 31 , 750 hours on the Perkins ,11,000 Canadian ,Need some elbow grease but nothing I can’t do Bought it at an auction in Sydney bc had it towed To Roche Harbor Washington about 260 miles north of where I live , seems to run good trying to make the time to get up there and motor it home , Been wanting a fisher for a while now there not easy to find
What we really want to see is other pictures of the boat!
Old 28-02-2022, 23:02   #3760

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Hi, am I missing something or are the pics of two different boats. One has a bow platform and the other one doesn't. BTW I am a fan of the Fisher range, I have owned a 32 sloop for 10 years and still enjoy using and maintaining it.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 04:33   #3761

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Hi, am I missing something or are the pics of two different boats. One has a bow platform and the other one doesn't. BTW I am a fan of the Fisher range, I have owned a 32 sloop for 10 years and still enjoy using and maintaining it.
Yeah they are two different boats , I put that one on there so you could see what the boat actually Should look like only had one picture , The one of her being towed couldn’t see a whole lot , anyways pretty much looks about like that one , I’m headed there in a few hours to move the boat maybe I’ll get a few more pics and send them your way . If there’s any interest in the boat , I could do a whole rundown on everything that it needs for example the alternator is overcharging so i bought a new alternator going to be changing the fluids figuring out an auto pilot for a trip back home etc.
Old 01-03-2022, 05:47   #3762
SuW

Quote:
Yeah they are two different boats , I put that one on there so you could see what the boat actually Should look like only had one picture , The one of her being towed couldn’t see a whole lot , anyways pretty much looks about like that one , I’m headed there in a few hours to move the boat maybe I’ll get a few more pics and send them your way . If there’s any interest in the boat , I could do a whole rundown on everything that it needs for example the alternator is overcharging so i bought a new alternator going to be changing the fluids figuring out an auto pilot for a trip back home etc.
Yeah, I'm interested! I love a boat project
Good luck!
Old 03-03-2022, 10:06   #3763
SuW

1969 Allied Luders 33 $33K Canadian (~$26K US) on Salt Spring Island, BC.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/cow...oop/1607424753

This looks like a very clean boat, with decent gear. I don't have experience with Vetus diesels, but it has low hours fwiw.

Interior is nice with lots of light. Propane stove and heater.

A little old fashioned - long overhangs, and long keel.

I'd say it's a little overpriced, it's old, but they had a good reputation in their day. It appears to have been well looked after, so it might be worth looking at. And it's a beautiful location.
Old 04-03-2022, 20:11   #3764

Boat: Voyager 26 MK2

Solid pocket cruiser, Cape Dory 25. I haven't seen this specific boat in person, but they are very well made and have nice lines.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Cape-Dory-25-Sailboat-New-Jersey-/363750632775?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46 890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
KGarwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 06:44   #3765

Quote:
What Do you think about this one 1984 Fisher 31 , 750 hours on the Perkins ,11,000 Canadian ,Need some elbow grease but nothing I can’t do Bought it at an auction in Sydney bc had it towed To Roche Harbor Washington about 260 miles north of where I live , seems to run good trying to make the time to get up there and motor it home , Been wanting a fisher for a while now there not easy to find
Great boat for the northern climates , they are not uncommon in Scotland and Ireland ,a great boat to be in when the weather is being rough and wet , at that price it's a bargain ,well done
laird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price