Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2022, 17:15   #1531

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: WeatherFax ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
I don't know what was changed for 1.9.33. It is just working on my friend's PC after the upgrade.

Hakan, do you know if they followed these instructions?
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3634105

It would be very helpful to know.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 22:43   #1532

Boat: Najad 34

All plugin directories and the config file was "cleaned" from WF related files and settings during tests using version 1.9.32.1 but not in between the upgrade to 1.9.33
/H
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 00:29   #1533

Yes, I did. But there is no change. There are some other problems too. Starting open cpn lasts a pretty long time, even only with the background chart, and sometimes the program freezes when choosing a menu point like "about open cpn".
Naufragus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 04:58   #1534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naufragus View Post
Yes, I did. But there is no change. There are some other problems too. Starting open cpn lasts a pretty long time, even only with the background chart, and sometimes the program freezes when choosing a menu point like "about open cpn".

OK try this.
You don't say what OS or any detail about Opencpn version. I assume Win10 Opencpn 5.6.2. You should always state your OS and Opencpn Version otherwise we can't help.
  • Go to Options>Plugins and uninstall weatherfax_pi.
  • Close OpenCPN
  • C:\ProgramData\opencpn\opencpn.ini Rename to opencpn.ini.old
  • C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weatherfax Remove folder
  • C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\cache\tarballs Remove all weatherfax tarballs.
  • %localappdata%\opencpn\plugins\weatherfax_pi Remove folder
Now start Opencpn, and a fresh new ini will be created.
  • Options > Plugins Update the master catalog
  • Now use PIM (Plugin Manager - Options > Plugins) to install and enable weatherfax_pi.
  • Now it should work.
You can always rename your opencpn.ini.old back to opencpn.ini later.

BTW have you done a comprehensive update of your chart database? This is always required after an upgrade in version. Also necessary when you have updated charts using ChartDownloader. See FAQ in the manual

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...r_manual:faq&s[]=chart&s[]=database#why_is_recently_updated_opencpn_performi ng_badly
Old 06-06-2022, 11:52   #1535

Boat: To come

Tests done on my systems.
Please look at the workbook to read my findings/comments/questions.
Some additional explanations might help me to go further in the tests.

I also have the possibility to do tests on Virtualbox Ubuntu 22.04 & Debian 11.
If this is relevant, please tell me.
If you want me to work on previous versions of Ubuntu & Debian, I can do it in the VirtualBox. Just tell me which are really useful for you as I might not have the time to do it for all non tested platforms (I don't want to loose my motivation).

I really want to see WeatherRouting working. This is of the greatest interest for me. If I'm doing something wrong to see my calculated route and isochrones, please tell me.

Continue the good work.
Best regards,
Raoul
ALROCHARARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 12:44   #1536

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALROCHARARI View Post
Tests done on my systems.
Please look at the workbook to read my findings/comments/questions.
Some additional explanations might help me to go further in the tests.

I also have the possibility to do tests on Virtualbox Ubuntu 22.04 & Debian 11.
If this is relevant, please tell me.
If you want me to work on previous versions of Ubuntu & Debian, I can do it in the VirtualBox. Just tell me which are really useful for you as I might not have the time to do it for all non tested platforms (I don't want to loose my motivation).

I really want to see WeatherRouting working. This is of the greatest interest for me. If I'm doing something wrong to see my calculated route and isochrones, please tell me.

Continue the good work.
Best regards,
Raoul

These reports Testing Spreadsheet are very helpful and point us towards some issues on various OS which need to be resolved. I am not the person to respond about which OS's ould be best to test in a virtualbox. I would just say that any OS that are supported would be good but others may have better ideas. Thank you Raoul, good reporting!

I must say that failures reported for weather_routing on Win10 surprize me. Can we have a screenshot? The first weatherfax error will be fixed in the next version. I am going to have to try capture, I had not gotten to that yet. I have never captured, so it is the blind leading the blind here, but perhaps someone else knows more about this feature?
Old 06-06-2022, 14:51   #1537

Thank you, I think it should work now so far. What comes up again is the message "failure to find duration".
Old 06-06-2022, 16:45   #1538

Quote:
Thank you, I think it should work now so far. What comes up again is the message "failure to find duration".

We have the fix for that change needed in weatherfaxSchedule.xml to some of the final lines.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:31   #1539

Hi, I thought wefax would work again properly, but it doesn't. For example, I load the first chart from DWD, it lasts a long time (up to 1 minute) before the chart appears. Then I load the next chart (24 hour forecast), the chart will be downloaded, but nothing happens, it does not appear on the screen and in the window of the downloaded files. And so on. When I select a downloaded chart again, I will be asked whether I want to use the downloaded again, but the chart will not be shown on the screen. Sometimes when I want to load a chart, the message of an unknown exception failure will be shown. BTW, I use WIN 10 with the latest updates, an ACER Aspire E 17 notebook with INTEL and NVIDIA Geforce 940 MX Graphics and the newest version of open cpn. I followed all your hints, but that didn't solve the problems. Up to now I had never any problem with weatherfax.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:30   #1540

Quote:
Hi, I thought wefax would work again properly, but it doesn't. For example, I load the first chart from DWD, it lasts a long time (up to 1 minute) before the chart appears. Then I load the next chart (24 hour forecast), the chart will be downloaded, but nothing happens, it does not appear on the screen and in the window of the downloaded files. And so on. When I select a downloaded chart again, I will be asked whether I want to use the downloaded again, but the chart will not be shown on the screen. Sometimes when I want to load a chart, the message of an unknown exception failure will be shown. BTW, I use WIN 10 with the latest updates, an ACER Aspire E 17 notebook with INTEL and NVIDIA Geforce 940 MX Graphics and the newest version of open cpn. I followed all your hints, but that didn't solve the problems. Up to now I had never any problem with weatherfax.
Naufragus sorry about this. We need a copy of your log file and ini file attached here. The end of the log file is fine, the last couple of times Opencpn was started, if size is an issue.

See FAQ for how to do that. Read the Top ten questions. Also a couple of screenshots of the crucial parts of the event would be helpful.

Also I think OpenCPN possibly needs to process your charts with a database update so the senc files are all built? Can you try updating the entire database? Options > Charts > Force full database rebuild. How many charts are you using at one time? Are you using Chart Groups to manage your charts?
Old 07-06-2022, 04:47   #1541

Quote:
For example, I load the first chart from DWD, it lasts a long time (up to 1 minute) before the chart appears. Then I load the next chart (24 hour forecast), the chart will be downloaded, but nothing happens, it does not appear on the screen and in the window of the downloaded files. And so on
The weatherfax file I think you are trying to download is DWD > Europe > Europe Surface Analysis.

You are downloading a 4 mb file, please note the warning in the title!
Time to download completely depends on your internet connection.
For me it took less than a minute and it displayed properly.
I was then able to download and properly overlay the next 24hr chart which is smaller.

What do you think is causing the problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (449).jpg
Views:	28
Size:	427.2 KB
ID:	259110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (450).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	426.2 KB
ID:	259111  

Name:	Screenshot (451).jpg
Views:	37
Size:	442.7 KB
ID:	259112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (453).jpg
Views:	32
Size:	444.2 KB
ID:	259113  

Old 07-06-2022, 05:13   #1542

Quote:
Then I load the next chart (24 hour forecast), the chart will be downloaded, but nothing happens, it does not appear on the screen and in the window of the downloaded files. And so on. When I select a downloaded chart again, I will be asked whether I want to use the downloaded again, but the chart will not be shown on the screen.
I can confirm that use of DWD > Europe does not seem to complete after downloading the first 3, the download seems to occur, but the screen just blinks and nothing is mapped.
Note that this does not happen for NOAA, all the weatherfaxes can be downloaded. So, my suspicion is that the xml file for DWD has an error.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot (454).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	435.5 KB
ID:	259116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (455).jpg
Views:	32
Size:	436.5 KB
ID:	259117  

Old 07-06-2022, 05:14   #1543

Quote:
Sometimes when I want to load a chart, the message of an unknown exception failure will be shown.

You have to be more precise in describing this problem. I have nowhere to start to be able to repeat it.
Old 07-06-2022, 05:16   #1544

Ok, let's see. Sorry for making you so much trouble, but it would be great when wefax would work again as perfect as I know that.

I already made a complete rebuild of the database, at the moment I don't use a lot of charts. There is a chart of lake Chiemsee with KAP files, OESENC charts of croatia, and the RNC charts croatia from NV. And yes, I'm working with chart groups.

I'll try now to load up the ini and log file, perhaps it will help.
Attached Files
File Type: doc opencpn_ini.doc (61.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: doc opencpn_log.doc (86.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 07-06-2022, 05:26   #1545

Good Job. Found just one error, not related to weatherfax... I think I'd best check the data file weatherfaxInternetRetrieval_Europe.xml
Quote:
14:12:56.189 MESSAGE OCPNPlatform.cpp:1101 ERROR Loading translation catalog for: opencpn-nvc_pi

Tags
paracelle