Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2016, 07:14   #781

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: WeatherFax ...

Sean,
I've added some items and screenshots for the Menus when weatherfax is on SurfacePro3 2110x ? screen.
https://github.com/seandepagnier/wea...x_pi/issues/25
While using v4.2 weatherfax 5001 from opencpn.org downloads,

not the one in git which has problems with showing Tiff in the image wizard window.
https://github.com/seandepagnier/wea...x_pi/issues/29

How to rotate a Polar file, to update Ice for Noaa - Boston?
https://github.com/seandepagnier/wea...x_pi/issues/32

Thanks.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:40   #782
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Sean,
I've added some items and screenshots for the Menus when weatherfax is on SurfacePro3 2110x ? screen.
Surface Pro 3 screen resolution: 2160 x 1440 (3:2 ratio)
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:16   #783

Updated NOAA - Boston XML files

Attached is the "NOAA - Boston Region" section of WeatherfaxInternetRetrieval.XML file. The Ice flow chart "NOAA - Boston - 6" from coordinateset.xml has not been completed because we need to be able to rotate a polar file in the Image Wizard. Then I'll be able to complete that record.

I have also checked the weatherfaxSchedule for the Boston Region and it looks the same as before.

I would like to suggest that others in various regions make necessary corrections to the weather XML files based upon what changes have been made at the local stations, and upload to this thread for inclusion with the plugin.

It is not terribly difficult to correct weatherfaxInternetRetrival files so they display properly, using the WeatherFax Image Wizard, and then finding your changes in the XML files.
Attached Files
File Type: doc wx-fax-InetRetrieval-NOAA-Boston-Region.xml.doc (5.2 KB, 55 views)
Old 11-08-2016, 14:53   #784

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Rick,

Really it would be ideal if you could make the xml changes as a pull request to github.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 14:56   #785

Yes, I agree Sean. I'll try that once I get it completed with everything working.

I am trying to add OPC color' weatherfax that are pretty nice... They would work for the internet.
Old 11-08-2016, 15:32   #786

Now the Polar diagram for "NOAA- Boston - USCG Latest Ice Limits Chart" is rotated and I've got the coordinates applied properly but when completed it is just scatter and no image. I've tried several of the filters, then tried conic and nothing seems to work.
The magic of the Image Wizard seems to have been challenged by this file.

I could just enter the correct coords for NOAA - Boston - 6 and leave it at that, but that would leave it kind of useless.

Do you have any suggestions? Have tried changing the phasing and the button seems to be all the way over to the right to get the image together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USCG ICE.png
Views:	154
Size:	354.3 KB
ID:	129395  
Old 11-08-2016, 15:50   #787

The coords for this are
<Coordinate Name="NOAA - Boston - 6" X1="691" Y1="336" Lat1="70.00000" Lon1="-50.00000" X2="429" Y2="1061" Lat2="50.00000" Lon2="-65.00000" Rotation="CW" Mapping="Polar" InputPoleX="603" InputPoleY="-357" InputEquator="2479.00000" InputTrueRatio="0.4890" MappingMultiplier="1.0000" MappingRatio="1.2955" />

At least it looks like iceburgs... so I'll just run with it.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:21   #788

Sean,
I need a little guidance. I've created a new server and region in the XML file and have entered the path, filenames and titles in the standard xml format and have not saved new coords (with unique names) for each file such that they are overlaid on the chart properly.

What do I do next? I think I need to move and consolidate the Coords from
the
C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weatherfax\Coordina teSets.xml
file to the
C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 4.2.0\plugins\weatherfax_pi\data\CoordinateSets.xm l

Is that correct? Do you have any suggestions or process points for me, as I would prefer not to mess this up.

Thanks.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:16   #789

Sean,
What a huge waste of work on this end. UserCoordinateSet.xml is not storing all the coordinate sets that I have created and have working properly!!

Where is this being stored? In Memory? Is there some way to save the Coordinatesets out of memory into a file? I obviously don't understand how this program works and I am going to stop wasting time until I understand, or there is some easy way to create and save coords pairs. This program does not appear to be working to save ALL user created coord pairs and projection info, at least on Windows.

I do not find any of the coords I saved (maybe 150 files) and I believe they will be lost when I shut down Opencpn!

This is no way to work. I am I expected to write down all the data next and then create an XML line for coordinated pairs and projection data?
Old 12-08-2016, 06:28   #790

Yes, When I closed Opencpn and reopened and started up Weatherfax,
I lost all 150 of the weatherfax coord pairs, as they no longer align.

I guess I am finished messing around with this now. I'm pretty disheartened. Sorry.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:21   #791

After I shut down Opencpn and Weatherfax, I did find some of the CoordinateSets under a file
C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weatherfax\UserCoor dinateSets.xml

It was not a complete list of all the New CoordinateSets that I made (150) just maybe 10 or 12. Can someone explain how this program works and what the correct process is for creating or modifying weatherfaxinternetretrival.xml and coordinatesets.xml in the following locations:

C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weatherfax\UserCoor dinateSets.xml
C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weatherfax\Coordina teSets.xml

C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 4.2.0\plugins\weatherfax_pi\data\CoordinateSets.xm l
C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 4.2.0\plugins\weatherfax_pi\data\WeatherFaxInterne tRetrieval.xml
Old 12-08-2016, 09:25   #792

Sean,
I think it would be very helpful if I could copy the coordset to the clipboard after using the image wizard and being sure the overlay works.
It would also be important to be able to select the new coordset file name given when using the image manager, so that we dont have to keep recreating the overlay.
It dont think the new coordsets are being saved reliably to usercoordsets either. It may be working in linux but not so well in win.
Old 12-08-2016, 14:47   #793

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Rick,

I am sorry you seemed to lose so much coordinate sets.

There are 2 xml files, normally in different locations.

The one "CoordianteSets.xml" is distributed with the plugin and contains the coordinate sets for most of the images in the internet retrieval. The plugin can read this file but never writes to it.

If the file "UserCoordinateSets.xml" does not exist, then the contents of CoordinateSets.xml is copied into it. Otherwise it is normally loaded, and the CoordinateSets.xml isn't used in that case.

From there on, you are simply augmenting your user defined coordinate sets, and can even edit the sets from internet retrieval modifying them.

To make a pull request, you would overwrite CoordinateSets.xml with your UserCoordinateSets.xml being careful to make sure it does the right thing. Alternately you could manually edit CoordinateSets.xml by copying the relevant entries from UserCoordinateSets.xml.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 02:30   #794

Sean,
In addition to the three xml files under the plugin data dir under program files x86, I seem to have under programdata/opencpn/plugins/wxfax two files coordinateset.xml and usercoordinatesets.xml.

These are the two diles that are most current. If I update and work on those files until they are correct. Then copy them back to the plugin programfiles x86/ ...data/ dir when finished?
And then delete the 2 working files and they will be recreated?
Old 20-08-2016, 06:16   #795

Sean, your description is good. I think I'll copy it to the documentation.
When I get a chance. Also I noticed your work on github and improvements, version bump. Will build at next opportunity and test.
Still working on xml fole update.

Others should update the xml for their favorite areas/stations for easy internet fax retrieval. Check and then attach to this yhread please.

Tags
paracelle