Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2019, 07:40   #1

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Radar plugin v5.0.0 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verschuijten View Post
I have a Getac windows tablet win 10 pro 64 bits. I installed opencpn 5.0 and radar pi, opengl is checked.
The radar is recognised, got an ip address but will not get a navigation panel to work with the radar.
Is it possible that your pi radar plugin is 32 bits or maybe the opengl driver of the intel graphic card. I have a I5 intel 5200U CPU. On the other laptop with win 10 home and intel I-7-4500U CPU no problem at all, working flawless. Or is the possible problem caused by the pro version of windows 10?

The problem is not Win10Pro. What are your graphics specs exactly? OpenGL is not always implemented properly with some Intel HD Graphics.

Hakan or Douwe will have better info about this. I believe bdbcat has made a version of O that may fix this problem.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:08   #2

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
I have a Getac windows tablet win 10 pro 64 bits. I installed opencpn 5.0 and radar pi, opengl is checked.
The radar is recognised, got an ip address but will not get a navigation panel to work with the radar.
Is it possible that your pi radar plugin is 32 bits or maybe the opengl driver of the intel graphic card. I have a I5 intel 5200U CPU. On the other laptop with win 10 home and intel I-7-4500U CPU no problem at all, working flawless. Or is the possible problem caused by the pro version of windows 10?
Verschuijten..
Win 10 pro 64 laptop is what I have. No problem.
The Intel HD graphics 6xx that rgleason refers to was not disturbing radar_pi what I know.
What do you mean by "navigation panel"?
What radar type are you using?
If you open the radar info window what's the information? Screen shot?

Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:48   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Verschuijten..
Win 10 pro 64 laptop is what I have. No problem.
The Intel HD graphics 6xx that rgleason refers to was not disturbing radar_pi what I know.
What do you mean by "navigation panel"?
What radar type are you using?
If you open the radar info window what's the information? Screen shot?

Håkan
I have 4g radar, if i select radar a , it sees radar a, if i select a + b it sees both. I see ip addresses, but the panel where i can start/ stop and adjust the radar don't appear on my screen.
Maybe it's a problem with opengl but how to fix this.
Verschuijten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 15:08   #4

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
I have 4g radar, if i select radar a , it sees radar a, if i select a + b it sees both. I see ip addresses, but the panel where i can start/ stop and adjust the radar don't appear on my screen.
Maybe it's a problem with opengl but how to fix this.

Thank you. Have made a troubleshooting report.

Troubleshooting, Menu Display Problems
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 13:06   #5

Verschuijten..
Did you try the OCPN more or less general interface: Right mouse click menu on the chart window?
Close to the bottom:
->"Show radar"
or
->"Control 4Ga" or ->"Control 4Gb"
Håkan
Old 02-12-2019, 16:59   #6

Hi Hakan,

Very stupid from myself but found that control menu as told by you. It was still not working so found out that the problem was in my wifi network. It was in private and when i changed this to public it was working perfect over wifi.
Thank you very much.
Verschuijten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 22:38   #7

Verschuijten..
Very good you found it. Thanks for the report.
Have fun with the radar.
Old 18-12-2019, 05:57   #8

I am new to OpenCPN and I am trying to install a second navigation system using a 2013 MacBook with Open CPN that will connect to our Simrad 3g radar and Vesper 6000 AIS.

I built a very simple NMEA 2000 network, that currently connect our Simrad GO! Chart Plotter to our Vesper 6000 AIS and the 3G radar connects to the 2000 NMEA network via a NAVICO RI10 RADAR INTERFACE BOX 3G/4G.

From looking at support documation for OpenCPN and the Radar plugin I am planning to order the following hardware to connect the Macbook to our NMEA network to communicate with our radar and AIS.

I am planning to use a Simrad Ethernet adapter cable, a short ethernet cable with two male ends, and a Satechi USB 3.0 to Ethernet adapter to connect my laptop to the NMEA 2000 network.

Do you think this is a good set up? Any suggestions for things I should do differently?
Should I be able to get the radar and AIS communicate with the laptop running Open CPN with this setup?

Thanks for your help! I have spent hours reading through the forum and OpenCPN documentation, I just want to make sure I am on the right track before I start ordering cables and such.

Dave

wildernessdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 06:41   #9

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildernessdave View Post

I am planning to use a Simrad Ethernet adapter cable, a short ethernet cable with two male ends, and a Satechi USB 3.0 to Ethernet adapter to connect my laptop to the NMEA 2000 network.
I'm afraid that will not work. OpenCPN does not understand NMEA2000.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 07:17   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
I'm afraid that will not work. OpenCPN does not understand NMEA2000.

Wow! Glad I asked. Any links to documentation or suggestions for how I can connect the radar to our laptop without going through our NMEA 2000 network?

I am sorry, this is probably very basic. I am just learning.

Thanks!
Dave
Old 18-12-2019, 07:13   #11

Dave..
Could be a good set up.
Two parts. The radar and the NMEA network.

Radar to plugin radar_pi:
The internet cable will fit direct to the Mac-PC if there's a free port.
Be sure your IP port on the PC is set up to automatically get the IP-Address, DHCP.
If you have a compass connected to the RI10 interface direct or on the NMEA2000 bus it's fine. Then let radar_pi achieve that. In radar_pi Preferences check: "Pass radar heading to OpenCPN".

The NMEA data to OpenCPN:
You've to converse between your NMEA2000 to NMEA0183 and then to OpenCPN.
I'm not sure about your plans for the
Satechi USB 3.0 to Ethernet adapter? Unless your Mac don't have a IP port and you need it for the radar interface?
OpenCPN can't understand NMEA2000* so you have to get a device to:
1. Translate from NMEA2000 to NMEA0183 and
2. Get the NMEA0183 to a USB port on the PC.
There are a couple of such a device for example Acticense NGW-1. (It may be this will replace your thoughts for the Satechi USB 3.0....)

Take this as a start and come back for further discussion or report.
Håkan

*) There are some projects going on to get a handy conversion from NMEA2000 to NMEA018 and OpenCPN. For a Raspberry Pi, OpenPlotter and Signal-K it's soon doable. For a Win/Mac-PC and Signal-K it's not yet so easy. But if a device like NGW-1 is affordable I think that solution is the easiest for now. Others may have more to add here.

Old 18-12-2019, 07:52   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Dave..
Could be a good set up.
Two parts. The radar and the NMEA network.

Radar to plugin radar_pi:
The internet cable will fit direct to the Mac-PC if there's a free port.
Be sure your IP port on the PC is set up to automatically get the IP-Address, DHCP.
If you have a compass connected to the RI10 interface direct or on the NMEA2000 bus it's fine. Then let radar_pi achieve that. In radar_pi Preferences check: "Pass radar heading to OpenCPN".

The NMEA data to OpenCPN:
You've to converse between your NMEA2000 to NMEA0183 and then to OpenCPN.
I'm not sure about your plans for the
Satechi USB 3.0 to Ethernet adapter? Unless your Mac don't have a IP port and you need it for the radar interface?
OpenCPN can't understand NMEA2000* so you have to get a device to:
1. Translate from NMEA2000 to NMEA0183 and
2. Get the NMEA0183 to a USB port on the PC.
There are a couple of such a device for example Acticense NGW-1. (It may be this will replace your thoughts for the Satechi USB 3.0....)

Take this as a start and come back for further discussion or report.
Håkan

*) There are some projects going on to get a handy conversion from NMEA2000 to NMEA018 and OpenCPN. For a Raspberry Pi, OpenPlotter and Signal-K it's soon doable. For a Win/Mac-PC and Signal-K it's not yet so easy. But if a device like NGW-1 is affordable I think that solution is the easiest for now. Others may have more to add here.

Thanks for your detailed response. It looks like I have some more learning and research to do. I will dig deeper into your suggestions.

Thanks!
Old 19-12-2019, 10:21   #13

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Hallo everybody, I am new to opencpn, so excuse me for maybe some stupid questions.

I have set up a raspberry 4B with openCpn 5 and found the radar plugin in the repository. I get N2K/NMEA183 messages via WiFi from my Raynet dongle from the SeaTalk NG backbone, works great, then hooked up the LAN port to the SeaTalk HS switch, where the chartplotter and the Raymarine 4G is hooked up using ip protocol, the raspi gets an IP adress 10.x.x.x range, the netmask etc., so the network connection is OK.

I can start the plugin and it scans both networks, WLan and LAN, but does not find the radar.

Unfortunately I have closed the radar display windows to get to the menus behind, and now cannot find a way to bring them up again. Tried everything. Is there a way to bring them back? I see only the device selection popup. All other windows initially shown are gone forever.

Any hint how to get them back and how to register the IP adress of the radar to stop permanent scanning on all networks?

Thank you!
Old 19-12-2019, 10:49   #14

CatNewBee.
The mouse right click menu is your friend for many OCPN options and functions. Also plugins tends to add menu items to this menu. Radar_pi as well
See my examples below. My "Control Emulator" may be "Control 4GA" in your case.
Also ARPA functions are in this menu when radar is alive.
Good luck.
Håkan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	menus.png
Views:	58
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	205342  
Old 19-12-2019, 11:09   #15

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Thanks, the options menus are there, but not the overlay with the rings, even options, window, radar overlay on does not bring it back on top.

Tags
lease, plug, radar