Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2016, 09:05   #1

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56
BR24 radar plugin Beta 2.515 released

The first public beta release for the v2 release.

Codewise almost everything has been rewritten. Most code lines are still there, but the entire class structure has been rewritten completely. The source code would now be much easier to use for someone trying to adapt it to a different radar (like a Furuno or Raymarine, if someone would be willing to start that task.) Also we use fewer threads as all multicast addresses per radar are now using the same thread.

This introduces one or two (4G only) extra radar windows that show radar data without a chart overlay. It replaces the *fake* radar only display that had several problems. Now you can have side-by-side chart and radar data, with optional radar overlay. The radar data without overlay doesn't require heading input.

The other major point for this release is that it includes a very nice drawing method based on OpenGL *shaders*. You can also use the older *vertex* method if the shader method doesn't work for you. The shader method should work well on modern low-CPU / high-GPU platforms such as ARM boards with OpenGL support.

Components that work very well for me are:
  • Drawing of actual radar data in Shader
  • Most controls
  • Guard zones
  • Timed idle

I'm still compiling a list of issues that I want to fix before production, they revolve mostly about finishing touches to:
  • Opening of the radar control if radar windows are hidden.
  • Testing of the multi-sweep function.
  • There is a fluke somewhere in the Vertex drawer where the image is un-rotated by the heading for a second or so, but this passes quite quickly.
  • The info dialog always contains the text that the radar is off, even when it is on. Some polishing needed in general.
Please test this release and report any issues on https://github.com/canboat/BR24radar_pi/issues

You can download binaries for OS X, Ubuntu 14.04 amd64 and Microsoft Windows from opencpn-navico-radar-plugin.github.io

Here's a typical screenshot that shows the extra radar displays:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 13.26.23.jpg
Views:	885
Size:	337.9 KB
ID:	124457  
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 10:17   #2

Re: BR24 radar plugin Beta 2.515 released

If initial feedback is positive I will ask Pavel to switch the beta PPA to this branch, this will make the binaries available for multiple Ubuntu/Debian versions.

In the meantime, if you need the plugin for a different version because the 14.04 AMD64 version doesn't work for you and you are really not capable of compiling yourself (not that difficult on Linux) then send me a PM, and I will see if I can accommodate.
Old 17-05-2016, 14:22   #3

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I just realized something to improve drawing without shaders...

If you used the same texture for the shader support, you could simply draw exactly 2048 triangles in a fan to complete the circle using texture mapping. These verticies could be in a vbo so very fast...
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 06:05   #4

Second beta v2.518 released

Thanks to @NahanniV a number of bugs have been squashed.

As making a release is now only 10 mins work, here is another binary release.

In accordance with recent developments at Github I'm moving the actual released binaries to github on the project itself, see

https://github.com/canboat/BR24radar...ses/tag/v2.518

Binaries for Windows, Mac and Ubuntu 14.04 AMD64 are available there, as well as the source code for building yourself.
Old 20-05-2016, 04:55   #5

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

This version is looking very good !

Can someone test it on a Raspberry Pi 2 or 3 with OpenGL ?

Cheers,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 08:07   #6
Marine Service Provider

Re: Second beta v2.518 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrimac View Post
Thanks to @NahanniV a number of bugs have been squashed.

As making a release is now only 10 mins work, here is another binary release.

In accordance with recent developments at Github I'm moving the actual released binaries to github on the project itself, see

https://github.com/canboat/BR24radar...ses/tag/v2.518

Binaries for Windows, Mac and Ubuntu 14.04 AMD64 are available there, as well as the source code for building yourself.
Any binary for ubuntu x32 (deb) ??
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 14:13   #7

And we're a few weeks along, and over 30 big and small bugs have been fixed.

We're getting close to a release now.

The menus and controls work quite well now. Please note that some items have moved around to a new location, and a number of new items have been added.

There is a "target trails" feature now that allows you to see where echoes were in the past. This greatly helps in spotting moving targets.
Two EBL/VRMs per radar have been implemented. This greatly helps in tracking suspicious targets.

You can download new binaries from:

https://github.com/canboat/BR24radar...t/v2.628-beta3

Binaries are available for Windows, Mac, Linux x86_64 (compiled on Ubuntu 16.05) and i386 (compiled on Ubuntu 12.04).
Old 26-06-2016, 14:46   #8

Boat: Westerly Sealord

OK , maybe I'm a day late and a dollar short but does this mean that you can run a BR24 straight into a Mac running OpenCPN.?

I recently sailed with a Simrad G4 for a week... very impressed but the cost of a dedicated MFD would be a killer for me.
Old 26-06-2016, 15:53   #9

Yes, that is indeed what you can do. You need a wired Ethernet connection and fast heading source, but that's about it.

With the upcoming release we're getting close to parity with the plotters except for MARPA.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 26-06-2016, 16:27   #10

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Target tails are brilliant... especially as they will 'paint' very weak and transient targets. We used to - back when I had a day job - be able to see seabirds on their evening commute back to Mud Island from Sorrento.

Unstabilized or not ... it is a brilliant tool to have.. unstabilized you can still see the relative track..

OK this is a 25KW radar - north up - but you get the idea... bottom right is a yacht race using the Fawkner Beacon as a rounding mark on a Saturday arvo...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	satdeearvoradar (1).jpg
Views:	230
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	126954  
Old 21-07-2016, 00:43   #11

Boat: Eista Krammer

I tried the latest Navico plug-in (2.6xx) with OpenCPN 4.2 and it seemed to work OK, after that I switched to OpenCPN 4.4 and it didn't work at all ? Will try to get the latest downloads when the server is up-and-running again. The test setup is very basic: 4G direct to the pc's ethernet port and os W7pro. No heading/GPS but that can be added.
Old 21-07-2016, 01:47   #12

Are you able to compile from source? I'm on holiday right now with pretty bad WiFi here in Stavern, so can't upload a new binary version. We fixed quite a lot since the last binary release.

Still, there should be no difference between O 4.2 and 4.4 for the plugin.
Old 21-07-2016, 01:52   #13

Sorry, no can do ;( But there's no hurry, I posted more as an aid for de-bugging than for personal need. Enjoy the beautiful weather and keep an eye on the barometer !
Old 30-07-2016, 13:30   #14

After downloading and installing the files again all works A-OK

Great job and thanks to all for making this possible
Old 08-08-2016, 15:43   #15

v2.0 has been released, see new thread Navico radar plugin v2.0 released - Cruisers & Sailing Forums .

Tags
lease, plug, radar