Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2019, 13:02   #1066
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDouglasone View Post
Exactly.

I don't blame Greta, I blame the ones who simply want to make money off her obvious innocence like Al Gore and the "Carbon Offset" bullsh*t.

Total sham and he lives in a huge mansion.

Rules are for little people remember.

Meanwhile the price of electricity goes up and up! And they make illegal to heat your house with wood because CFC's yet that tree will fall and rot one day releasing the same amount of CFC's.

Do they even understand their own BS?

They can't.

Global warming has been happening off and on for as long as the Earth has existed.

This is not an opinion, nor politics, its frickin' science!

And science doesn’t agree with your thoughts
Old 01-12-2019, 13:05   #1067

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Too bad Orwell is gone. It could be a new best seller.
you dont need orwell ,, that sort of tripe is regurgitated in right wing reactionary denialist press on a regular basis
Old 01-12-2019, 13:09   #1068
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

it really does not matter what we do. As long as we pump out babies at this rate sooner or later we will run into another wall. Not a politician on the planet has the guts to say anything about this aspect.
Old 01-12-2019, 13:16   #1069

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
in fairness to activists (and the elephant in the room),which is global population that is unsustainable,climate inbalance is just a byproduct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
it really does not matter what we do. As long as we pump out babies at this rate sooner or later we will run into another wall. Not a politician on the planet has the guts to say anything about this aspect.
Which few want to talk about. @Breaking Wave's plea to avoid politics in this thread is simply unreasonable when the entire purpose of the passage is political.

When you look at resources on this planet the only life form of which there is no shortage is people, yet very few are willing to talk about that. There should be a test before reproducing.
Old 01-12-2019, 13:21   #1070

Boat: X442

I thought this thread was excellent, thanks to the OP and I salute the LV crew (especially the youtubers) for their excellent insights on how to become (I presume) excellent sailors. And getting paid for it too.

Two final words if I may be permitted. Firstly in response to the hypocrisy language heard elsewhere: the only way to be absolutely not a hypocrite is not to have any values. Personally, I have decided to for example not fly to my boat and take the train to wherever she is in Europe. And when my old car finally broke down the other day, I decided to not get another one. Mainly to do my bit for the climate. When I speak about this it is almost inevitable to not be asked "But your boat has an engine right?" Well yes, so I am a hypocrite I guess. And we would all be hypocrites if we tried to reduce our CO2 footprint a bit, or a lot even. I am not that concerned about Greta's CO2 footprint, she is fighting a war to bring peace, I support her all the way. Although I do agree that fighting for peace is a pretty screwed up concept.

Secondly, worthwhile to not forget the steps to disaster, with a span of about 5 decades:
1. Climate change is fake
2. Climate change is real but not caused by man
3. Climate change is real and probably caused by man
4. Climate change is real, caused by man and hard to reverse
5. Climate change is real. And it is too late.
We have almost arrived at step 5. Better get Greta to Madrid asap.
Old 01-12-2019, 14:19   #1071

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinSdL View Post
I thought this thread was excellent, thanks to the OP and I salute the LV crew (especially the youtubers) for their excellent insights on how to become (I presume) excellent sailors. And getting paid for it too.

Two final words if I may be permitted. Firstly in response to the hypocrisy language heard elsewhere: the only way to be absolutely not a hypocrite is not to have any values. Personally, I have decided to for example not fly to my boat and take the train to wherever she is in Europe. And when my old car finally broke down the other day, I decided to not get another one. Mainly to do my bit for the climate. When I speak about this it is almost inevitable to not be asked "But your boat has an engine right?" Well yes, so I am a hypocrite I guess. And we would all be hypocrites if we tried to reduce our CO2 footprint a bit, or a lot even. I am not that concerned about Greta's CO2 footprint, she is fighting a war to bring peace, I support her all the way. Although I do agree that fighting for peace is a pretty screwed up concept.

Secondly, worthwhile to not forget the steps to disaster, with a span of about 5 decades:

RE your last sentence: why?
Old 01-12-2019, 14:35   #1072

Boat: X442

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
RE your last sentence: why?
It was meant to symbolize: let's start listening carefully to what is being said and let's start finding solutions.
Old 01-12-2019, 14:39   #1073

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:

6. Climate change is real. The human role is likely significant. It may not be too late but the socioeconomic/political remedies being proposed have time & again proven themselves worse for humankind than the forecasted environmental harm.

From one of GT's (and others) latest pronouncements:

"That action must be powerful and wide-ranging. After all, the climate crisis is not just about the environment. It is a crisis of human rights, of justice, and of political will. Colonial, racist, and patriarchal systems of oppression have created and fueled it. We need to dismantle them all. Our political leaders can no longer shirk their responsibilities."

https://www.project-syndicate.org/co...-et-al-2019-11

Talk about alienating a huge segment of the population that are otherwise sympathetic to the environmental issue but don't want to have anything to do with the extreme politics that seems to be required to be "subscribed." I'll stick with more rational subscriptions thanks.
Old 01-12-2019, 14:56   #1074
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

And now
A brief interlude yet possible remedy for the woke woes of our world...[emoji4]

https://youtu.be/M29Cf-NxtEA
Old 01-12-2019, 15:00   #1075

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDouglasone View Post
What a shame.

"British yacht skipper, 26, wiped out the carbon emissions saved by Greta Thunberg's sail across the Atlantic by flying out to the US to help her"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Atlantic.html

Thanks, I asked about that several pages ago and there was a resounding silence at the time.
Old 01-12-2019, 15:07   #1076

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
i think most people recorgnise that if the girl is wrong then it does not matter
It matters a great deal when politicians listen to her ill informed rants and destroy economies.
It matters a great deal when XR types listen to her and disrupt the lives of Joe Public.
It matters a great deal when kids listen to her and suffer from all sorts of mental problems as a result.
Old 01-12-2019, 15:13   #1077
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
It matters a great deal when politicians listen to her ill informed rants and destroy economies.
It matters a great deal when XR types listen to her and disrupt the lives of Joe Public.
It matters a great deal when kids listen to her and suffer from all sorts of mental problems as a result.

Ah, your an oil man and afraid it may affect your pocketbook? That is the main reason for the disbelief? $$$$$$$$$?
Old 01-12-2019, 15:26   #1078

Boat: no boat any more

“There should be a test before reproducing.“

...easy there, Audacious. I am Austrian - & we have been along this road, fortunate for me before my time
Old 01-12-2019, 15:32   #1079

Our friends apparently have reefed down for the night, maintaining a rather modest boat speed of 7.6 knots, now on a ESE'erly direction (2316 GMT Sunday 1 December).
It appears that they are heading upstream the Tagus river, all the way up to Lisbon city center - ref the following tweet from Greta Thunberg:

Quote:
Day 18. We’re speeding towards Europe! Estimated time of arrival right now is Tuesday morning. We’ll be arriving at Doca de Alcantara, Lisbon. We are all looking forward to see you there!
@Sailing_LaVaga
@elayna__c
@_NikkiHenderson
Old 01-12-2019, 15:35   #1080

Quote:
I thought this thread was excellent, thanks to the OP
My pleasure. Was fun and interesting and I learned a few things, could not ask for much more.

There has been a lot of pent up forum energy and the 500 mb charts had long been forecasting a bit of a political posting explosion as the voyage ended so, I fully expected this. I was just grateful that by and large it did not derail the thread during the voyage.
Closed Thread