Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2015, 05:04   #31

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Sailboat Sinks Rescued Family Disappears

They've been caught!

Fugitives rescued from sail boat in Galveston Bay arrested in Bahamas - Houston Chronicle

Fugitives rescued from sail boat in Galveston Bay arrested in Bahamas

By Mike Tolson | February 5, 2015 | Updated: February 5, 2015 9:21pm

• Karlien Winberg and her husband, Donald, are accused of defrauding farmers by promising to deliver hay that did not exist.

A mysterious couple who quickly disappeared after they and their seven children were rescued from a foundering sailboat in Galveston Bay last October have been arrested in the Bahamas.
Donald and Karlien Winberg and their children were found Wednesday or early Thursday on a different boat and carrying a "substantial" amount of cash, said the U.S. Attorney's office in Denver, where the couple were indicted for wire fraud last year.
An immediate return to the U.S. is expected without formal extradition, though no other details about that process or how or where they were captured was available.
The couple had been on the lam for almost five months, though Galveston authorities were unaware of their fugitive status at the time of the rescue. The Winbergs offered false names and a phony story about a long vacation trip. It was only weeks later, when no one came to retrieve the boat, that local officials discovered that the two were accused con artists whose ill-fated sailing venture was in fact a getaway attempt.
The Winbergs, 43 and 31 respectively, are charged with defrauding farmers from 2010 to 2012 by promising to deliver hay that did not exist. Their total take from the scam is not specified in the 15-count indictment, but one Colorado farmer wired two advance payments totaling more than $1 million after meeting the Winbergs in Idaho and Texas and being shown vast fields of hay. But the farms did not belong to them.
After an initial court appearance, the two were released on bond. Attorneys appeared at subsequent court settings, but the couple was a no-show for a required September hearing. They were living in West Texas at the time, but authorities had no good address for them.
The Winbergs apparently arrived in the Houston area the following month, buying a sailboat for cash and living in it until it half-disappeared beneath the waves. Their planned destination was not clear, though they had mentioned to acquaintances sailing to Mexico or the Caribbean.
One of the Winbergs' accusers says his son considered suicide after being scammed by the couple. Read more about that and the couple's alleged web of lies in this HoustonChronicle.com report.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:21   #32

It's kinda hard to fly under the radar with 7 kids. It's not much of a vacation when you take your 7 kids with you. Although it looks like they will get new orange jumpsuits and a long vacation from their kids pretty soon.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:05   #33

It must've been tough for them living on the boat all this time without a fryer.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 18:30   #34
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

One farmer defrauded by $1,000,000!!! Thats a lot of money!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 20:55   #35

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettw View Post
I'll ask next time I'm at the dock but they kept it on the 35' fingers in our Marina, I believe, so I don't think it was particularly big. My wife and I were just remarking on the exact same thing today.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

If I was on the run with over $1M and seven kids I would have been shopping in the 50+ footer range myself.

Old 06-02-2015, 22:14   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
If I was on the run with over $1M and seven kids I would have been shopping in the 50+ footer range myself.

I was thinking more like 8 one way tickets to AK and 1 ticket for me to the Maldives.
Old 06-02-2015, 22:33   #37

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
They've been caught!

Fugitives rescued from sail boat in Galveston Bay arrested in Bahamas - Houston Chronicle

Fugitives rescued from sail boat in Galveston Bay arrested in Bahamas

By Mike Tolson | February 5, 2015 | Updated: February 5, 2015 9:21pm

A mysterious couple who quickly disappeared after they and their seven children were rescued from a foundering sailboat in Galveston Bay last October have been arrested in the Bahamas.
Donald and Karlien Winberg and their children were found Wednesday or early Thursday on a different boat and carrying a "substantial" amount of cash
, said the U.S. Attorney's office in Denver, where the couple were indicted for wire fraud last year.
An immediate return to the U.S. is expected without formal extradition, though no other details about that process or how or where they were captured was available.
The couple had been on the lam for almost five months, though Galveston authorities were unaware of their fugitive status at the time of the rescue. The Winbergs offered false names and a phony story about a long vacation trip. It was only weeks later, when no one came to retrieve the boat, that local officials discovered that the two were accused con artists whose ill-fated sailing venture was in fact a getaway attempt.
The Winbergs, 43 and 31 respectively, are charged with defrauding farmers from 2010 to 2012 by promising to deliver hay that did not exist. Their total take from the scam is not specified in the 15-count indictment, but one Colorado farmer wired two advance payments totaling more than $1 million after meeting the Winbergs in Idaho and Texas and being shown vast fields of hay. But the farms did not belong to them.
After an initial court appearance, the two were released on bond. Attorneys appeared at subsequent court settings, but the couple was a no-show for a required September hearing. They were living in West Texas at the time, but authorities had no good address for them.
The Winbergs apparently arrived in the Houston area the following month, buying a sailboat for cash and living in it until it half-disappeared beneath the waves. Their planned destination was not clear, though they had mentioned to acquaintances sailing to Mexico or the Caribbean.
One of the Winbergs' accusers says his son considered suicide after being scammed by the couple. Read more about that and the couple's alleged web of lies in this HoustonChronicle.com report.

Shades of Billie Sol Estes, with seven kids and no class...but damned good con artists.

When they foundered in the Houston Ship Channel with the 'new' boat, you kind of assumed they weren't skilled sailors. But to survive some amount of time on another boat, maybe even voyaging to the Bahamas, they must have picked it up.

They'll do some major time. Meanwhile, all those Wall Street tycoons who torpedoed the whole world and got away with mega-billions of ill-gotten scratch haven't even been indicted (apart from a few small actions w/wrist-slaps). Gotta have the right connections...
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 23:51   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx J View Post
Shades of Billie Sol Estes, with seven kids and no class...but damned good con artists.

When they foundered in the Houston Ship Channel with the 'new' boat, you kind of assumed they weren't skilled sailors. But to survive some amount of time on another boat, maybe even voyaging to the Bahamas, they must have picked it up.

They'll do some major time. Meanwhile, all those Wall Street tycoons who torpedoed the whole world and got away with mega-billions of ill-gotten scratch haven't even been indicted (apart from a few small actions w/wrist-slaps). Gotta have the right connections...
Obviously you and I see things exactly the same on this topic!
Old 11-02-2015, 19:46   #39

They were scammers who were selling corn and hay without having product. Bought a new boat and we're just arrested in the Bahamas, turned in by American's who recognized their photos from the news.

Roseboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:38   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseboat View Post
They were scammers who were selling corn and hay without having product. Bought a new boat and we're just arrested in the Bahamas, turned in by American's who recognized their photos from the news.

They sure were stupid. Had they been selling securitized derivatives of junk bonds instead they would have been bailed out by the Fed and would be playing golf in Hawaii by now.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:18   #41
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
They sure were stupid. Had they been selling securitized derivatives of junk bonds instead they would have been bailed out by the Fed and would be playing golf in Hawaii by now.
Yep, ya gotta know the right product not to have
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:37   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Roseboat.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:56   #43

Boat: Skookum 53'

Sure, dump the miscreants in Alaska. What did we ever do to deserve that? We already have enough shady characters and con artists in politics here.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:53   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Good lesson for future scammers learning from this couple. This is what happens to you when you scam people out of a lot of money, and don't use any of it for campaign contributions later.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:57   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Good lesson for future scammers learning from this couple. This is what happens to you when you scam people out of a lot of money, and don't use any of it for campaign contributions later.
HA HA!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
family, rescue, sail, sailboat