Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2013, 07:13   #76

Boat: Ohlson 38
Re: Dump Airhead urine in galley sink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You did start using it already? I think I remember you writing about yet having to use it for the first time

Nick.
Nope, I've used it enough to have had to empty the solids once.

...and I'm saving up so I can enjoy my airhead This coming Sunday too.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 07:29   #77

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Dump Airhead urine in galley sink?

VB: Guess I missed the post where you decided to give the boat another try. Glad to hear it.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 07:31   #78

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Problem seems obvious, honey...

He he, you got me there!
Old 22-02-2013, 07:35   #79

Boat: O'Day 28

Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 07:46   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Fish and marine mammals put more piss in the oceans in one second than you will pee in a lifetime. Just do a direct deposit. Healthy urine is sterile and does not hurt the ocean as well.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 07:48   #81

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
VB: Guess I missed the post where you decided to give the boat another try. Glad to hear it.
Thanks, it's amazing how just taking a long break from the boat completely restored my enthusiasm and my willingness to throw gobs of money at her.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 08:08   #82

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
Nope, I've used it enough to have had to empty the solids once.

...and I'm saving up so I can enjoy my airhead This coming Sunday too.
I wasn't going to say anything, but I'm glad to hear too!
Old 22-02-2013, 08:17   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
not 100% sure ive only seen one, at the recent Miami Boat show the Air Head, the other 2 outfits have not made an effort to find someone in South Florida where I can look at theres so its likly going to be the Air head- i need 2
I looked at all 3. picked the c head for 4 main reasons

reason 1

empty piss.....the c head uses a standard 1 gal jug...easy to dump and replace...after a while it gets nasty...throw it away and get a brand new one..probably already have one on hand. sometimes i change it just because i have a new jug that is going to get thrown away, so instead, i use it for piss....nice and fresh

with airhead and natures head, you would have to clean the inside of hte pisser tanks to get them clean.

reason 2

c head lets you lift the lid and grab the handle on a 5 gal bucket.....dump bucket in trashbag....very easy and clean...replace bucket and put in some peat moss....peat is like powder...coats poo...dries poo....does not even stick to sides as it is "powder coated" and dry..also, base stays in place while dumping poo

natures head and air head did not seem as sanitary..here is why....you have to take off the top of the unit....put it down somewhere....could be poo on it...then unclip/unhook the base and pick entire thing up after removing piss holder ...dump in bag...seems messier....

reason 3

c head is like regular toilet...direct deposit through a hole......very clean..nothing to "wipe" after...

natures head and air head have a trap door.....this gets poo on it...some use coffeee filters, but still not as clean as going directly into a hole...

reason 4

c head piss overflo...say your crew is lazy...happened to me one time....they dont empty piss, but decide to fill it over the top....it overflows into the basin that holds everyhing...it is still seperated from the poo...the design makes it physically impossible to mix poo and pee

airhead and natures head if pee gets to much...it overflows int the poo and makes a mess....no way around it...i have seen youtube videos..oozes ...yucky

i have seen all 3 on different boats....saw natures and airhead prior to my purchase of c head...made the decision based on thinking out the process of emptying or overflow and comparing notes
Old 22-02-2013, 08:18   #84

i feel as stong about my crapper as i do about my anchor:-) i have the boss btw...with the slot..dont like the slot, but love the anchor despite the slot
Old 22-02-2013, 08:20   #85
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Interesting that almost none you you would think twice about discharging untreated waste into a marina. Says a lot about you.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 08:21   #86

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Against the possibility that you haven't though about it, when one discharges a liquid into a sink aboard a boat, it doesn't simply "drain away" unless it is more dense than sea water which the material in question is not. It will simply mix with the water in the drain up to the level of the ship's water line and, if there is more of it than there is in the volume of the drain hose, displace the sea water that is in the drain hose without much if any dillution. It will take rather a lot of water, salt or otherwise, poured into the drain to dilute and/or displace the waste in the near term. Considering that, one's galley or head sink is likely to take on a distinctive aroma for some time absent thorough "flushing" by one means or another, which can be rather costly for ones fresh water budget. Accordingly, overboard discharge from on-deck from the leeward rail would seem to be rather more desireable.

I have never understood the "Whole Earth" mentality that dictates Air Heads (although I think the Name is apt). I have also wonder about the performance of these devices in the event of a knock-down, roll over, in extreme weather conditions, which could add rather an inconvenient aspect to all of the other problems one is likely to have to endure in such circumstances, Non?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 08:30   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Interesting that almost none you you give a damn about discharging untreated waste into a marina. Says a lot about you.
I said into the ocean. Into a marina is clearly wrong given most are an almost fully enclosed parcel of water with almost no circulation. And especially with divers who have full body contact with the water.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 08:34   #88
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Thinwater, I'm glad you found nirvana with your sanitation system. But I must say, how I wish it was as simple as you make it.
We have had an odor problem since I moved aboard, my husband didn't really notice anything truly amiss. New heads, new hoses.. and that slight whiff,, that #@! whiff is still there, ever elusive!
So have pity on some of us who are willing to consider anything to find the bliss you seem to have I think we won't find it till we are out of the no discharge zone and can pump straight overboard.
Cheers
Erika
I guess I should add that like the home loo, there is occasional need for ventilation after vigorous use! In my case a large computer-type fan provides for that, though a breeze and open windows is better.

Sail Delmarva: "A Bathroom Fan": or "No Blog Could be Complete Without a Tale of Head Repairs"

There are so many details. In my case the builder put the holding tanks and most of the plumbing in an externally vented bulkheaded compartment. That may be the key.
Old 22-02-2013, 08:34   #89
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
I looked at all 3. picked the c head for 4 main reasons

reason 1

empty piss.....the c head uses a standard 1 gal jug...easy to dump and replace...after a while it gets nasty...throw it away and get a brand new one..probably already have one on hand. sometimes i change it just because i have a new jug that is going to get thrown away, so instead, i use it for piss....nice and fresh

with airhead and natures head, you would have to clean the inside of hte pisser tanks to get them clean.

reason 2

c head lets you lift the lid and grab the handle on a 5 gal bucket.....dump bucket in trashbag....very easy and clean...replace bucket and put in some peat moss....peat is like powder...coats poo...dries poo....does not even stick to sides as it is "powder coated" and dry..also, base stays in place while dumping poo

natures head and air head did not seem as sanitary..here is why....you have to take off the top of the unit....put it down somewhere....could be poo on it...then unclip/unhook the base and pick entire thing up after removing piss holder ...dump in bag...seems messier....

reason 3

c head is like regular toilet...direct deposit through a hole......very clean..nothing to "wipe" after...

natures head and air head have a trap door.....this gets poo on it...some use coffeee filters, but still not as clean as going directly into a hole...

reason 4

c head piss overflo...say your crew is lazy...happened to me one time....they dont empty piss, but decide to fill it over the top....it overflows into the basin that holds everyhing...it is still seperated from the poo...the design makes it physically impossible to mix poo and pee

airhead and natures head if pee gets to much...it overflows int the poo and makes a mess....no way around it...i have seen youtube videos..oozes ...yucky

i have seen all 3 on different boats....saw natures and airhead prior to my purchase of c head...made the decision based on thinking out the process of emptying or overflow and comparing notes

Good comparison boatsail. I've been thinking of adding a second composter and the C-head is looking good.
I did actually talk a few times to the owner of Air Head this past weekend, he is really a nice guy, and had a long discussion on the urine removal/disposal and shot out a few ideas to him myself. It seems that there may something in the works to solve this and make it a lot more convenient. If these composting head manufacturers can lick this part I think their going to be making a lot more money.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 08:52   #90

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Interesting that almost none you you would think twice about discharging untreated waste into a marina. Says a lot about you.
Actually, this kind of comment says more about you. I don't think anyone said anything about dumping in a marina.

Tags
galley