Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2013, 05:49   #61
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Re: Dump Airhead urine in galley sink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Hilarious. I can't even believe the OP was serious, for all of the reasons given. For my case, my wife would make me regret the day I was born... and I'd agree with her. Pour it down the sink rather than walk outside? Cockpit drains? Simply pitiful.

I also find myself wondering if most improved port-a-poties (AKA composting heads) aren't purchased by folks that have either never seen a properly designed and executed installation or don't understand the subtleties. The reality is that the vast majority are happy with conventional systems. Perhaps if marine head systems could be designed and installed by the manufacturer they would work better, but the reality is that some are poorly installed. I'm certain a misassembled composting head would be a mess as well.

Mess? I don't have to deal with piss or semi-compost or bugs. Clogging? Never. Before any maintaince I flush it a bunch, the last time with some vinegar, and then flush again. No mess at all.

Odor? With good hoses, 10 years plus. Proper chemicals and or vent filters eliminate that problem. Head compartment? No different than home, not even if the boat is closed up.

Maintanance? Lube and replace joker every 2 years. Replace pump and hoses every 10 years.

Pump-outs? Far less hassle than humping semi-compost and piss. I will allow that there are inland locations where this is different.

Space? Yes, a bit less with the non-portable port-a-poties. But generally holding tanks are in very low value space and the head itself is smaller.

I figure they simply don't know.
My heads work well and Ive never had any troble with them, but Im going to try the composting heads to save on space of a holding tank- for me every little bit helps
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 05:51   #62

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
My heads work well and Ive never had any troble with them, but Im going to try the composting heads to save on space of a holding tank- for me every little bit helps
Ram, what unit are you going to go with?
Old 22-02-2013, 05:57   #63
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
not 100% sure ive only seen one, at the recent boat show">Miami Boat show the Air Head, the other 2 outfits have not made an effort to find someone in South Florida where I can look at theres so its likly going to be the Air head- i need 2
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 06:09   #64
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i was introduced to composting toilets by a friend a few years ago..
this is not a simple way of doing one's business. there are extra storage needs, there is e-choli loose in the boat being stored for disposal.
storage of peat moss in places wherein there is need to stow other items necessary for repairs and feeding of crew ...
there is the pee that needs to remain separated from the poo...this is not a simple way of doing anything.
pee is a sterile fluid and stinks after a few hours outside the body.
chlorine with urine, chlorine with any ammonia product--produces a noxious gas used in ww2 and ww1 for neurotoxin warfare. lol
there are many ways of disposing of urine without producing dangerous gases--try rinsing with water then pouring vinegar to neutralize the stink and urea ...
good luck.
i will remain happy with my occasional dripping leaks from the pump of my jabsco manual toilet, made especially for marine environments. a few extra flushes and no more smell...cannot say that for the composting head...this is one that the smell is constant and one may or may not acclimate to this odor on boat, depending on one's olfactory genetics....
if you guys can deal with this system, good on ye...i am not able to tolerate this in my boat.
it is great whenye have a farm for recyclement of th e products, but, i dont have that option, nor will i ever have that option.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 06:20   #65

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

You guys are getting really pissy about a shitty subject!
One of my favorite jokes on a new deck hand was to piss in his boots if they got in my way!
"Pass me another cabin boy, Jim!!"
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 06:22   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Old-time freighter and tanker crews had sinks in their quarters, but they were placed at chest level to prevent this from happening.
Which of course just means there was a jug sitting next to the sink.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 06:31   #67

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
We're installing a Nature's Head for this season. Happy to report back once we've lived with it for a while. I really don't see much difference between the AH and NH. NH fits better in our head is all...

As for dumping urine down the sink, we'll see... At first blush I don't see how carrying a pee bottle a few extra steps and hefting it overboard can be that much of a chore ... but perhaps I'll learn otherwise.
Old 22-02-2013, 06:35   #68
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Would it bother any when I say that you're not supposed to dump anything overboard in the no-discharge zones? And that pee is included in that "anything"...
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 06:48   #69

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Thinwater, I'm glad you found nirvana with your sanitation system. But I must say, how I wish it was as simple as you make it.
We have had an odor problem since I moved aboard, my husband didn't really notice anything truly amiss. New heads, new hoses.. and that slight whiff,, that #@! whiff is still there, ever elusive!
So have pity on some of us who are willing to consider anything to find the bliss you seem to have I think we won't find it till we are out of the no discharge zone and can pump straight overboard.
Cheers
Erika
Old 22-02-2013, 06:58   #70

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Would it bother any when I say that you're not supposed to dump anything overboard in the no-discharge zones? And that pee is included in that "anything"...
I didn't see ANYTHING ... :-)
Old 22-02-2013, 06:59   #71

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Dump Airhead urine in galley sink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
...We have had an odor problem since I moved aboard,...
Cheers
Erika

Problem seems obvious, honey...

Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 07:00   #72
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Hilarious. I can't even believe the OP was serious, for all of the reasons given. For my case, my wife would make me regret the day I was born... and I'd agree with her. Pour it down the sink rather than walk outside? Cockpit drains? Simply pitiful.

I also find myself wondering if most improved port-a-poties (AKA composting heads) aren't purchased by folks that have either never seen a properly designed and executed installation or don't understand the subtleties. The reality is that the vast majority are happy with conventional systems. Perhaps if marine head systems could be designed and installed by the manufacturer they would work better, but the reality is that some are poorly installed. I'm certain a misassembled composting head would be a mess as well.

Mess? I don't have to deal with piss or semi-compost or bugs. Clogging? Never. Before any maintaince I flush it a bunch, the last time with some vinegar, and then flush again. No mess at all.

Odor? With good hoses, 10 years plus. Proper chemicals and or vent filters eliminate that problem. Head compartment? No different than home, not even if the boat is closed up.

Maintanance? Lube and replace joker every 2 years. Replace pump and hoses every 10 years.

Pump-outs? Far less hassle than humping semi-compost and piss. I will allow that there are inland locations where this is different.

Space? Yes, a bit less with the non-portable port-a-poties. But generally holding tanks are in very low value space and the head itself is smaller.

I figure they simply don't know.
Perhaps it's because they simply do know after using both type systems. There's no doubt that a properly designed and properly installed system will work. But that goes for both systems. I think the jury is still somewhat out on the failure rate of composting heads as the jury has been in for a long, long, time on the failure rates of holding tank head systems. As far as smell reduction the composting head seems to win hands down. I probably visit 3-5 new boats every week and I can assure you that there is a large percentage of boats that have long out lived their conventional systems. It's interesting that I was just watching a news article on TV about the recent Carnival Cruise ship that lost it's power at sea. They interviewed this woman and she and others were asked if they used the red bags the ship provided to do their business in. She said "No, it's not my style" and that she and many passengers broke into the conventional head and preferred to do their business on top of other peoples business. I wonder if this mentality is more the real reason people poo poo the composting head idea over the conventional system. I've worked on boats for years, lived on boats for a few years, and delivered many boats over the years. And it seems, without fail, that I am always the only one on board in eight foot seas who knows how to fix the head when it fails. I'll take a composting head anytime. After when all is said and done, it is still just a hole that we do our business in.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 07:05   #73

Boat: Ohlson 38

What's all this about smell? My Airhead has zero odor. Even when I dump the compost into a trash bag...zero smell. The urine jug can smell if you don't put a lid on it while carrying it outside or to the galley sink.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 07:08   #74
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
What's all this about smell? My Airhead has zero odor. Even when I dump the compost into a trash bag...zero smell. The urine jug can smell if you don't put a lid on it while carrying it outside or to the galley sink.
You did start using it already? I think I remember you writing about yet having to use it for the first time

Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 07:09   #75

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
What's all this about smell? My Airhead has zero odor. Even when I dump it into a trash bag...zero smell. The urine jug can smell if you don't put a lid on it while carrying it outside/ galley sink.
Same here and we're into our 4th year living aboard with one. Only time you smell anything is when you are emptying the jug.

Tags
galley