Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2013, 05:27   #226

Boat: Mac 26X
Is it sad? I could get serious again if you'd like... I was just enjoying the banter
Old 24-02-2013, 05:56   #227

The old joke...you know how to cook kidneys?....boil the piss out of them...people eat kidney pie all the time (not me I don't like the taste)...
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 06:38   #228

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Dump Airhead urine in galley sink?

...and please hold the Gray Poupon... Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 06:42   #229

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Dump Airhead urine in galley sink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I always thought a bout of people here were just full of piss, now I know!

Don't forget the vinegar!*

'..."piss and vinegar" is considered vulgar, so is rarely used in "polite" conversation. www.usingenglish.com I take that to mean it's OK here.

The old joke...you know how to cook kidneys?....boil the piss out of them...people eat kidney pie all the time (not me I don't like the taste)... I am really sorry to read this! I had no idea kidney pie was actually mmade of real kidneys...what does that suggest for that ol' British favorite: spotted dick?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 07:35   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post

Don't forget the vinegar!*

'..."piss and vinegar" is considered vulgar, so is rarely used in "polite" conversation. www.usingenglish.com I take that to mean it's OK here.

The old joke...you know how to cook kidneys?....boil the piss out of them...people eat kidney pie all the time (not me I don't like the taste)... I am really sorry to read this! I had no idea kidney pie was actually mmade of real kidneys...what does that suggest for that ol' British favorite: spotted dick?
In case you want to try it...http://www.food.com/recipe/the-class...ney-pie-138782
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 10:26   #231

Boat: Catalina 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
One should not be swimming in a marina for several reasons. First and foremost is the risk of being electrocuted by power lines with poor grounding. Then there's the high bacterial contents; enough said! As for fish waste versus human waste...fishes' is biodegradable and does not have the same composition found in humans. Urea is not water soluble, is found in human waste and kills/bleach the corals. Mauritz
Not that I disagree with your basic point, but urea is very soluble in water. That's why it's found in urine.
Old 24-02-2013, 10:37   #232

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

I stand corrected, about urea! Thank you to all who pointed it to me! <What was I thinking?...crow never tasted so good!> Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 13:49   #233

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Would it bother any when I say that you're not supposed to dump anything overboard in the no-discharge zones? And that pee is included in that "anything"...
You NEVER pee over the side? Come-on!

In the Grand Canyon tourists (on the raft trips) are told to pee in the river. This is from the Forest Service. "its sterile as it is delivered; it is instantly dilluted with thousands of gallons of water. If you pee on the river bank creating smal concetrated wet spots you do risk harming the local eco-system." They do insist you burry the poop.

I would not think of dumping the urine in a marina but under way it is no different than leaning off the transom.

We have an Air head. Its great in the Great Lakes. Most of the time we can plan disposal in a marina toilet. We bought an extra pee-pot. The pot of bon-bons gets deliverd to the woods where I dig a hole. I recharge the pot using dried leaves and mulch. Two of us can operate two to four continuous weeks between servicing. If you only use it at the rate of weekend cruising, it may compost at the use rate and will not require emptying for our entire summer season. I have a solar operated vent on the pot. Plan to replace the crappy Ni-Cads with Li batteries. You can tell when the Ni-Cad quits.

The selection of AH vs. NH was based on geometry regarding the available space. The AH opens flat against the wall and the pee pot can be removed without disturbing anything else. Other items to consider is that the fan on the NH is at the unit rather than at the extreme end of the hose. Condensation in the hose for NH can run down the line into the fan. Not an issue if you use a solar deck vent.

We also have two Vacuflush toilets on the boat. One goes to a holding tank and one is straight out. Valves are, of course, locked out. The biggest holding tank we could fit was 18 gallons. This makes the AH very important cruising remote areas of the lakes & North Channel where you may be far away from a facility.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0342.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	393.1 KB
ID:	55662   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0343.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	367.7 KB
ID:	55663  

Name:	DSCF0345.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	346.8 KB
ID:	55664   Click image for larger version

Name:	SOLAR VENT 3.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	55665  

Name:	SOLAR VENT 2.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	383.2 KB
ID:	55666  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 13:54   #234

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
If you feel this way, fine.... The next time you're out eating in a nice restaurant, be sure to first use their public restroom urinal to wash your hands prior to dining.

I don't have any issues with anyone dumping human pee in the ocean; but I do however, take issue with pee being poured into a galley sink where hands, dishes and utensils are washed and food is prepared. That's just gross, no matter how you look at it.

Again, I'm not being judgemental here.... to each their own.... but I do find it rather hard to believe that there are so many posts on this thread debating the merits of dumping gallons of pee into the kitchen sink, and find it alarming that so many agree with the practice of doing so.
Heh!
That would raise some eyebrows.
I don't particularly agree with it. Why not just take it a step or three to the outside? How hard can that be.
I do however, recognize that "gross" is subjective and societies develop taboos.
Do you carry (or did you used to carry) a cloth handkerchief?

Off topic - Hey, where did my spell check button go. (new computer with Windows 7)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	no spell check.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	55667  
Old 24-02-2013, 13:58   #235

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
(Hospitals exist because people violate the laws of physics and undermine their hygiene.) Mauritz
That is a good one.

Not true at all.

But good.
Old 24-02-2013, 14:07   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggegner View Post
Most people put things in a sink you don't want to dip your food in. I have dumped wash water from the bilge, raw meat, washed out paint brushes, washed the floor under the cat box, etc. I wash out the sink well after something like that goes in. Then I make sure any sponges are put up where they are not used. Don't you people clean your sinks?
They don't have to.

They don't clean the counter tops or spills on the sole either I guess.
Old 24-02-2013, 14:09   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Fine...

Go ahead all of you pee-in-the-sink believers... you might as well crap in the sink too and wash it down with some of that sterile urine disinfectant. But don't be wondering where all your friends went or why nobody has taken you up on that dinner invite.
I can't afford to have any one over for dinner.

I live on $499 a month.
Old 24-02-2013, 14:18   #238

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

If you want the real and correct answer to the OP question, just ask your girlfriend or wife, (or both). As noted by one of the others. She'd skin me alive. I don't have to ask.

Perhaps if we could convince them to find a use for it? You guys let me know how it works out.
Healing Yourself using Urine Therapy
Cooking with urine - General Topics - Chowhound
Virgin Eggs (Eggs Hard-Boiled in Urine) Recipe | awesomebitch
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 14:28   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
About urine
Please dont drink the pee! Let's not forget the pharmaceuticals excreted through the kidneys, Pharmaceutical pollution is a problem, though a bit far reaching for this thread. More extreme example is the hormone fed cattle manure fertilizer leeching into the rivers, thus causing an imbalance between male female fish ratio. Yes, that is way off topic but what the heck.

About poo
Take heart all you puritans, there is always karma...nature is all about balance

About what we eat and where they and we swim
There are more and more cases of flesh eating bacteria. One of my patients contracted a form of this in his intestines. I can't remember if it was large or small intestines, and sadly it didn't really matter, it was all toast. Ate raw oysters I think it was. This was a young guy (46) who just went to new Orleans for the weekend, and came back with a death sentence. I've seen this stuff get the limbs, groins, but never in the gut. Sad. Health department sites many reasons for the jump in these types of infections. My guess is poop and pharmaceuticals dumped in areas that don't have much tidal exchange. I could explain further but I'm sure your eyes are well glazed over by now

And to contradict most of what I just said: Your pee needed to save the fish farms | SciGuy | a Chron.com blog
Excerpt: “Human urine is a stable liquid and contains valuable nutrients. I see no reason why it couldn’t be used for this purpose if it provides a suitable chemical environment for the zooplankton to grow,” says Stephen Smith, an environmental biochemist at Imperial College London.

I got it off the Internet, so it must be true
Ocean girl
good post but I want to also keep poking people.
Old 24-02-2013, 14:36   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
You NEVER pee over the side? Come-on!

In the Grand Canyon tourists (on the raft trips) are told to pee in the river. This is from the Forest Service. "its sterile as it is delivered; it is instantly dilluted with thousands of gallons of water. If you pee on the river bank creating smal concetrated wet spots you do risk harming the local eco-system." They do insist you burry the poop.

I would not think of dumping the urine in a marina but under way it is no different than leaning off the transom.

We have an Air head. Its great in the Great Lakes. Most of the time we can plan disposal in a marina toilet. We bought an extra pee-pot. The pot of bon-bons gets deliverd to the woods where I dig a hole. I recharge the pot using dried leaves and mulch. Two of us can operate two to four continuous weeks between servicing. If you only use it at the rate of weekend cruising, it may compost at the use rate and will not require emptying for our entire summer season. I have a solar operated vent on the pot. Plan to replace the crappy Ni-Cads with Li batteries. You can tell when the Ni-Cad quits.

The selection of AH vs. NH was based on geometry regarding the available space. The AH opens flat against the wall and the pee pot can be removed without disturbing anything else. Other items to consider is that the fan on the NH is at the unit rather than at the extreme end of the hose. Condensation in the hose for NH can run down the line into the fan. Not an issue if you use a solar deck vent.

We also have two Vacuflush toilets on the boat. One goes to a holding tank and one is straight out. Valves are, of course, locked out. The biggest holding tank we could fit was 18 gallons. This makes the AH very important cruising remote areas of the lakes & North Channel where you may be far away from a facility.
Three heads on one boat and only room for one 18 gal tank.
Hmm.
Not that composting is bad.

Tags
galley