Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2017, 18:55   #2041

Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Can somebody identify this, please?
https://www.blocket.se/blekinge/Krys....htm?ca=11&w=3
50000 SEK ~ $5550
11.4 m is more like 37 foot.
"Needs paint", blisters?
Very tempted.
fishondryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 23:48   #2042

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishondryland View Post
50000 SEK ~ $5550
"Needs paint", blisters?
Very tempted.
Looks like a Sailcraft Apache to me. But they were 41ft if I remember correctly. Sailcraft made the 30 ft Iroquois, the 32ft Comanche, and the 41-44ft Apache (again, if I remember correctly).

The Iroquois was a great little cat, but had to be sailed well, because it was more performance oriented and the earlier versions suffered a (undeserved IMO) reputation for capsizing. The Comanche was a more cruising oriented update to the original Iroquois. I don't think the Apache was ever as popular as the Iroquois, I don't think many were built. I know the Iroquois has a very devoted following, and is supposed to be a very good boat. (I believe at least one has circumnavigated).

This is all done from vague recollection of an old Multihull book by Kanter, and might be completely wrong.

Here's one for sale on Yachtworld:

1977 Sail Craft LTD Apache Catamaran Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 12-03-2017, 08:18   #2043

Quote:
50000 SEK ~ $5550
"Needs paint", blisters?
Very tempted.
So, did a little more research this morning, and there's a model I missed, which is even more likely than the Apache. The Sailcraft Cherokee, which was 35ft. The original plans call for the Cherokee to have flat stern sections, but adding sugar scoops to increase waterline length was very common, so it's very possible that this is a Cherokee with sugar scoops added, that makes more sense in terms of length. The chine in the hull threw me off, I forgot about the Cherokee, and the Comanche doesn't have that forward chine in the hull like the Iroquois or the Apache, however, the Cherokee does have that same hull shape.

Here's a Cherokee for sale with a few pictures:

http://www.oceanlist.com/boat-for-sa...Cherokee-21348
Old 12-03-2017, 09:56   #2044

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

The Sailcraft cats were well made. The big one was the 45' Navaho. I thought of them but it doesn't quite look right for them. The house reminded me of what Prout did on a couple bigger models. Maybe on the Cherokee. The posted listing has had the upper part of the cabin updated with the longer windows. The originals looked a bit like a wedding cake. I keep changing my mind on this. The real problem with the Sailcraft idea is the sterns. They all had wide beam carried aft to big transoms for load carrying, the OPs find is almost a double ender like a Prout. Maybe someone got creative with a factory kit?
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:02   #2045

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
The Sailcraft cats were well made. The big one was the 45' Navaho. I thought of them but it doesn't quite look right for them. The house reminded me of what Prout did on a couple bigger models. Maybe on the Cherokee. The posted listing has had the upper part of the cabin updated with the longer windows. The originals looked a bit like a wedding cake. I keep changing my mind on this. The real problem with the Sailcraft idea is the sterns. They all had wide beam carried aft to big transoms for load carrying, the OPs find is almost a double ender like a Prout. Maybe someone got creative with a factory kit?
The house does look a little odd for a Sailcraft, but I think it's just a later production with some changes to the windows. The only Prout I know of with a "double tier" house is the Quasar, and that's a 50' boat. I didn't think Prout because it's got a tramp up front, I can't think of a prout of that size and generation that didn't have a solid foredeck. Also most of the prouts I've seen have the deck/hull joint a few inches down on the topsides, and they usually have some kind of rub rail there. And weren't Prouts cutter rigged?

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but personally, I think someone added those sugar scoop sterns, if you look at photo 4 in the ad it looks like the sugar scoops were bolted on, but it's just speculation on my part. If it's truly 40ft, then I think it's probably a mislabeled Apache, if it's 37ft (11.4M) then I think it's a Cherokee with added sugar scoops.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:25   #2046

I pretty much agree but.... the kit angle. Someone could have lopped off the bow deck mold etc... Doesn't that cabin look like someone was inspired by the Quasar? Same with the Sailcraft, I think those could be gotten unfinished. One clue that neither boat has is the pronounced reverse sheer towards the stern. The old Aristocat had that before the molds went to Tony Smith but the size would be too small. A custom mod could cut down the sheer in the building. The underwater profile would probably seal it. The Sailcraft boats had centerboards. Not really enough to go on but the hatch molding looks pretty distinctive. About the only thing for sure is it looks like a Brit cat!
Old 12-03-2017, 12:25   #2047

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
I pretty much agree but.... the kit angle. Someone could have lopped off the bow deck mold etc... Doesn't that cabin look like someone was inspired by the Quasar? Same with the Sailcraft, I think those could be gotten unfinished. One clue that neither boat has is the pronounced reverse sheer towards the stern. The old Aristocat had that before the molds went to Tony Smith but the size would be too small. A custom mod could cut down the sheer in the building. The underwater profile would probably seal it. The Sailcraft boats had centerboards. Not really enough to go on but the hatch molding looks pretty distinctive. About the only thing for sure is it looks like a Brit cat!
Well, it's gone now, so it's somewhat irrelevant. It certainly could have been a kit. The cabin did look like a quasar, the Sailcraft cabins had more rounded windows. The thing that sold me on it not being a Prout was the hull/deck joint. Even if someone had the hull molds and skipped the solid foredeck the hull/deck joint would have been the same. Even the Quasar had it.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:33   #2048

Too slow. The ad has been taken down. Thanks everyone.
fishondryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:56   #2049

Quote:
50000 SEK ~ $5550
"Needs paint", blisters?
Very tempted.
It is a design by swedish Holger Bäckström
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 13:36   #2050

Now that is interesting. Off my radar.
Old 12-03-2017, 17:26   #2051
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Definitely not a Cherokee. The Iroquois and Apache had centerboards, the Cherokee started out with a central centerboard mounted under the bridge deck but only built a few like that before going to mini keels. The Comanche had mini keels.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 23:43   #2052

Unique opportunity to own a 1/8 share ( 10 000 US) in a world cruising catamaran.
Edelcat 43 , fast and safe ocean cruising catamaran.
I am looking for sporty, young-minded singles or couples to share the dream of a circumnavigation. You also dream of the great journey around the world, but you can not leave the whole year for social or monetary reasons? You do not want to sail alone and look for nice sailors?
Sign up, the boat has already been bought and is waiting in France for a refitt.
Infos
https://friendsworldcruise.jimdo.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E43-Felsenbucht-Decksansicht-Bb45-04.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	451.0 KB
ID:	143310  
Joeedelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 15:26   #2053

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lg...045798930.html

pretty nice looking cross 32r for 16k
purvisgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 10:15   #2054

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeedelcat View Post
Unique opportunity to own a 1/8 share ( 10 000 US) in a world cruising catamaran.
Edelcat 43 , fast and safe ocean cruising catamaran.
I am looking for sporty, young-minded singles or couples to share the dream of a circumnavigation. You also dream of the great journey around the world, but you can not leave the whole year for social or monetary reasons? You do not want to sail alone and look for nice sailors?
Sign up, the boat has already been bought and is waiting in France for a refitt.
Infos
https://friendsworldcruise.jimdo.com
So it was you who beat me to the Edel. Looked nice, does she need much work?
Muddy Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 14:12   #2055

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Boat View Post
So it was you who beat me to the Edel. Looked nice, does she need much work?
Me too
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, paracelle