Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2022, 05:50   #31
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Switch from 12V to 220/110V for internal lights and appliances?

There is zero advantage going to 120vac for major boat accessories.

Firstly you have major safety issues secondly it’s country specific and mains codes are different everywhere.

No advantages lots of disadvantages.
Old 05-11-2022, 03:25   #32

Boat: Hunter Legend 420 Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaif03 View Post
...So I thought having only one system in place could be more accessible. Otherwise, I need to cable the 12V for lighting in each cabin plus 220v/110V for a socket.
You need separate 220v or 110v cables for ac outlets sockets and different cables for the lights and other 12v sources like bilge pumps, charger sockets, water pumps, nav lights etc,. etc, so in all these extra cables are needed and will have to be fused separately - just like the fuse board in your house. One fuse for everything would be fatal on a boat navigating at night and loosing all power.

AC is a complex installation which should only be done by a qualified marine electrician. He must be marine qualified!!!!!
sailinglegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 08:35   #33

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Firstly you have major safety issues secondly it’s country specific and mains codes are different everywhere.

Come on now! You have no shore power inlet on your boat - or an unused one? I would call an AC-powered inverter a major, necessary accessory unless huge solar installation. And dockside hot water heater. And HVAC unless a year-round benign climate, which simply doesn't exist.

As for safety, I'd trust my boat's standard installation more than my 70's era house's wiring. We bought our '14 Greenline Hybrid boat on the brink of turning 80 several years ago, after 50+ years of sailing, and cruising widely on our 37' F-P cat in the late 90's - from Seattle to the top of Cape Breton Is and back to Florida. We had diesel furnace heat, but no AC until we got to Ft Myers Beach, gods rest it's tortured soul now, from Mexico. There I installed dual 12,000 BTU AC units - under each side of the wide salon settee - with breaker panel for each.

Now we have a propane-free galley, and a bottle-fed Magma for the cockpit. I have lugged my last propane tank - Hallelujah! Too many long, dusty roads I carried them through Mexico and Central America. And I fear a propane interior explosion due to a hidden, leaky connection much more than the !20 VAC I've worked with all my long life.

Here's our 100% AC galley, and the huge Euro-home-sized fridge/freezer is the thing that sold Princess Louisa on the boat:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E-2 Fridge&Freezer.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	266843   Click image for larger version

Name:	E-1 Galley-all elect..jpg
Views:	50
Size:	427.0 KB
ID:	266844  

Name:	F-3 120VAC & 12VDC switches.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	449.5 KB
ID:	266845  
PineyWoodsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:10   #34

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyWoodsPete View Post
Come on now! You have no shore power inlet on your boat - or an unused one? I would call an AC-powered inverter a major, necessary accessory unless huge solar installation. And dockside hot water heater. And HVAC unless a year-round benign climate, which simply doesn't exist.

As for safety, I'd trust my boat's standard installation more than my 70's era house's wiring. We bought our '14 Greenline Hybrid boat on the brink of turning 80 several years ago, after 50+ years of sailing, and cruising widely on our 37' F-P cat in the late 90's - from Seattle to the top of Cape Breton Is and back to Florida. We had diesel furnace heat, but no AC until we got to Ft Myers Beach, gods rest it's tortured soul now, from Mexico. There I installed dual 12,000 BTU AC units - under each side of the wide salon settee - with breaker panel for each.

Now we have a propane-free galley, and a bottle-fed Magma for the cockpit. I have lugged my last propane tank - Hallelujah! Too many long, dusty roads I carried them through Mexico and Central America. And I fear a propane interior explosion due to a hidden, leaky connection much more than the !20 VAC I've worked with all my long life.

Here's our 100% AC galley, and the huge Euro-home-sized fridge/freezer is the thing that sold Princess Louisa on the boat:
I'm sorry, but that does not have the look and feel of a boat. It looks more like an RV, a small one at that.
Old 05-11-2022, 09:12   #35

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:

Some boats out there have cleared north of 10kV for ac distribution systems. [emoji15]
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:00   #36
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I’m sorry it’s one thing to point to a fridge. It’s a other time base key operating accessories on AC. It’s adds nothing to the pot. Sure big ships use lots of 3 phase gear but we in different land.

For small to medium. Low voltage DC has many advantages over AC
Old 05-11-2022, 10:53   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I'm sorry, but that does not have the look and feel of a boat. It looks more like an RV, a small one at that.

Just couldn't help yourself, huh? Your blatedly insulting comment has much more to say about you than the boat. Maybe you are familiar with it's long, low seaworthy lines derived from the express cruisers of the 30's-50's - one of which my grandfather had on St. Simons Is, GA - but I doubt it. And it was designed by the J&J brothers naval architects/marine engineers, arguably the most prolific around with well over 300 designs of all sorts for the Euro. builders. The Greenline 33 Hybrid was the first they built themselves - their yard having the largest 5-axis milling machine for producing female molds for their designs.

And might it change your closed mind if you knew that it was the Euro. motor-cruiser '09 "Boat of the Year" in the under 40' category? Or that it's layup is 100% vacuum-bagged vinylester resin & gelcoat? Or that it has a CE offshore safety rating of "B" - the highest for a boat less than 40'. It's interior is far from the dark, heavy teak of boats of your's era, and it suits we two old folks and grown kids/grandkids very nicely. It's a perfect "RV" for us to cruise the inhospitable 600nm waters from SF Bay to the Mexican border
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1016946-Web.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	266856   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1016949-Web-II.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	266857  

Name:	C-1 Int. fm Door.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	436.6 KB
ID:	266858   Click image for larger version

Name:	G-1 Masterr Stateroom.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	435.9 KB
ID:	266859  

Old 05-11-2022, 13:37   #38

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:

I have to agree
If I saw only these photos my first guess would be an rv
Second guess would be a very large cat
Not sure I’d guess a mv buy I will admit that foot for foot an mv has quite a bit of space
Old 05-11-2022, 15:18   #39

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyWoodsPete View Post
Just couldn't help yourself, huh? Your blatedly insulting comment has much more to say about you than the boat. Maybe you are familiar with it's long, low seaworthy lines derived from the express cruisers of the 30's-50's - one of which my grandfather had on St. Simons Is, GA - but I doubt it. And it was designed by the J&J brothers naval architects/marine engineers, arguably the most prolific around with well over 300 designs of all sorts for the Euro. builders. The Greenline 33 Hybrid was the first they built themselves - their yard having the largest 5-axis milling machine for producing female molds for their designs.

And might it change your closed mind if you knew that it was the Euro. motor-cruiser '09 "Boat of the Year" in the under 40' category? Or that it's layup is 100% vacuum-bagged vinylester resin & gelcoat? Or that it has a CE offshore safety rating of "B" - the highest for a boat less than 40'. It's interior is far from the dark, heavy teak of boats of your's era, and it suits we two old folks and grown kids/grandkids very nicely. It's a perfect "RV" for us to cruise the inhospitable 600nm waters from SF Bay to the Mexican border
PineyWoodsPete, You don't have to get so irate about it, my observation wasn't blatent and I didn't mean it to be an insult. It's just how it looked to me. By the way, how do you think the RV folks will feel if you claim that saying something looks like an TV is a blatent insult?

Thanks for all the information about the Greenline 33 and the additional photographs. They give a better impression (for me). But the galley areas which you showed doesn't have a "boaty" feel, you have to admit that.

A lot of people don't like my boat very much, I don't get mad about it. People have different likes and dislikes.
Old 05-11-2022, 19:10   #40

Quote:
PineyWoodsPete, You don't have to get so irate about it, my observation wasn't blatent and I didn't mean it to be an insult. It's just how it looked to me. By the way, how do you think the RV folks will feel if you claim that saying something looks like an TV is a blatent insult?

Thanks for all the information about the Greenline 33 and the additional photographs. They give a better impression (for me). But the galley areas which you showed doesn't have a "boaty" feel, you have to admit that.

A lot of people don't like my boat very much, I don't get mad about it. People have different likes and dislikes.

And thank the saints and sinners for that! I equate "boaty" with small, maybe U-shaped at best galleys and deep-dive counter reefers of limited capacity- with ice or thirsty 12V draw and no ice cube making ability.

And "RV" with just "cheap and ugly", which is why I replied as I did.

The finest galley we ever had outside the current was a Catalina 30 w/ huge dinette option. No elderly IOR design such as yours or my daughter and hubby's '77 S&S Swan 41 Tall Rig can even begin to match the down-below accommodations this has - sleeping six in comfort. We've spent too many uncomfortable nights in the Swan's aft cabin with small, split berths and slanted, slippery floor. But they love it dearly - recently retired academics, now in Fiji, with their grown Marine Architect son and his sweetie experiencing the same "dis-conjugate" berthing as well as the unending heat and rain, and claustrophobic below decks - sans A/C.
The Cat 30:

Name:	IMG_20150214_Dinette.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	432.0 KB
ID:	266862
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20150214_Galley.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	418.6 KB
ID:	266863  
Old 08-11-2022, 06:54   #41

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:

Our boat, a US boat, came to us with an interesting approach to multinational electricity. Here in the US, we run on a nice 110 volt inverter charger (3kva Victron). The inverter part is plenty big enough to run all the systems on the boat. In the US, it also simply passes shore power through to the 110 system.

However, the twist. There is a second shore power connection that runs a 50 amp Victron charger (and nothing else). The charger is multi-voltage multi-frequency. This allows the boat to plug into any shore power connection. This 50 amp charger works 24/7 to keep the batteries charged. The inverter then powers all the shipboard systems at native power. The system only breaks down if total shipboard loads averaged over the day exceed 50 amps of DC -- certainly not a possible problem for us!
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 12:41   #42

Boat: 2004 Carver 360 Mariner

PineyWoodsPete

Beautiful boat set up! I am looking to change to an all 120V galley also. What brand/model of refrigerator is that?

My generator died and they are asking for $5k in parts before trying to fix it. Looking at a battery bank instead.
Old 09-11-2022, 13:36   #43

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Pretty much all 240v boat for us
24v batts and a 5000/120 multiplus
Big solar

Nav lights and some pumps are 24v
Other lights and some nav gear is 12v
All running on smaller inverters.

Huge advantages going 240v as everything is cheap to buy and easily accessible.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3584_1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	401.4 KB
ID:	267097  
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 13:53   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Except for nav lights and 12v radios, some bilge pumps, etc., everything on my boat runs off the 120/240 inverter 24/7. Windless is 240, etc. Inverter and bank is 48v.
You have many more choices for lights and appliances on house power. Having run this way for 10+ years, I wouldn't do it any other way.
In the winter at my dock, when someone hits a power pole and cuts power, I don't notice it unless I look out and see everyone else dark.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 15:18   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverseTrekky View Post
PineyWoodsPete

Beautiful boat set up! I am looking to change to an all 120V galley also. What brand/model of refrigerator is that?

My generator died and they are asking for $5k in parts before trying to fix it. Looking at a battery bank instead.
Thanks Trekky! It's made by Gorenje in Slovenia (4th largest appliance maker in Europe), where the Greenlines are built. In our temperate climate - rarely over 75F for long in the cold E. Pacific - it cycles about 10 minutes every hour, and consumes about 1.5-2 kWh daily best I can calc. which the 500W solar covers. Trouble free over our 4 years ownership. We have a 5000W Victron inverter/charger and 48V 11.5kWh lithium pack.

It's interesting that the Victron supplies more power than the 30A shorepower - 5000W vs 3600W 120VAC, so we can use three high-draw kitchen appliences at a time if we wish cruising.

Pete

Tags
appliances