Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2022, 01:11   #1

Switch from 12V to 220/110V for internal lights and appliances?

Hello guys,

I am considering upgrading all the electrical systems to use electricity from the inverter for all internal lights, electrical sockets, and appliances (except the fridge).
The navigation lights and electronics are still on 12V.

I would like to get your feedback about this idea.

Thank you
Phil
anaif03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2022, 01:39   #2

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Switch from 12V to 220/110V for internal lights and appliances?

Well, it’s your choice but the question is why?

Your battery provides the same 12V DC that your lights and all other DC equipment needs. Why introduce another piece of equipment that has power losses due to inverting and can go down unexpectedly for that equipment?

Bringing AC appliances onto the boat and providing AC outlets makes sense (e.g. microwave, coffee maker, electric toothbrush, etc), but why convert DC lights to lights that will still be DC but now will invert to AC and convert back to DC?

We do run our inverter 24/7 as we have an electric galley, but for anything that uses AC via a transformer to DC (e.g. laptop, monitors, router, LED light strings, etc) we cut off the AC plug and converter and wire directly to DC (including using converters 12V - 5V and 12V - 24V as needed).
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2022, 05:36   #3

Boat: Lagoon 380

Its lots of work replacing a two wire system with a 3 wire system. Plus, its not going to be called an upgrade by most.
team karst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2022, 05:40   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaif03 View Post
Hello guys,

I am considering upgrading all the electrical systems to use electricity from the inverter for all internal lights, electrical sockets, and appliances (except the fridge).

Thank you

Phil

Sure assuming you have enough invertor power. Just put a transfer switch on the incoming mains. It might be a good idea to disconnect the Mains battery charger fron this circuit.

Unless you need a voltage frequency change as others have said why bother.
Old 22-10-2022, 06:45   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Hello guys,

Thank you
Phil
Electricity up to 60v is considered low voltage. Above that voltage safety requirements are more stringent and there may be insurance implications.

This is why almost all EP (Electric Propulsion) systems are 48v.

Consider that, unlike a house, a small marine vessel is constantly in motion and there is usually significant moisture at hand. The potential for shorts and fires and shocks to personnel is greatly increased.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2022, 08:19   #6

Boat: Riva 48

Low voltage DC is safer and more reliable. Just connect a battery to the lamp and it works. The only reasons to go 220V AC is high power (galley, AC) and cost of the appliances (household appliances are much cheaper). You don't want 220V AC for your engine room lights, bilge pumps, etc. it is just not safe.

I can see why you would want to have a 220V TV for example (much cheaper and higher quality), so do that. I could see the case for an AC fridge or icemaker, again much cheaper. But for light fixtures, do stay 12/24V, there is plenty of inexpensive options.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2022, 08:46   #7

Boat: Carver 356

Agree with others…why?
I’m old school…if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Nothing wrong with 12 v lighting. If it’s not bright enough, replace the bulbs with stronger LED’s. As far as electrical sockets go, I assume you already have some 120v sockets and yes, they should be connected to your inverter. 12 v sockets (cigarette lighter style), just leave as they are.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2022, 09:03   #8

Thank you all for your precious feedback. I need to rebuild the electrical system from scratch because the past owner manipulated it so profoundly that it can be fixed. So I thought having only one system in place could be more accessible. Otherwise, I need to cable the 12V for lighting in each cabin plus 220v/110V for a socket.

On top of this, as many of your said TV and other appliance are cheaper and better.
I will have a lifepo4 battery system with BMS; I need, in any case, a little more complex system.

For these reasons, I thought about this solution.
anaif03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2022, 09:09   #9

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Thank you all for your precious feedback. I need to rebuild the electrical system from scratch because the past owner manipulated it so profoundly that it can be fixed. So I thought having only one system in place could be more accessible. Otherwise, I need to cable the 12V for lighting in each cabin plus 220v/110V for a socket.

On top of this, as many of your said TV and other appliance are cheaper and better.
I will have a lifepo4 battery system with BMS; I need, in any case, a little more complex system.

For these reasons, I thought about this solution.
We have a mix of 24VDC and low voltage AC lights (24VDC "bulbs") throughout. No clue why, can't find any advantage to that.

So I'm also in the "Why?" camp when it comes to lighting.

Feeding 120V outlets and appliances with an inverter can make sense. Frost-free fridges, TV/stereo stuff, microwave/convection oven, coffeemaker, etc. Even that depends, though. Ours is set up that way, but that's not a recommendation.

-Chris
Old 22-10-2022, 09:23   #10

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

One more reason: LED lights run on low-voltage DC internally anyway. Run everything you can on 12VDC. Cheaper, lighter and thinner wire, more reliable and safer implementation, no conversion or standby losses and one less point of failure in the system.

Appliances are another story. Most are only run briefly anyway, and aren't critical. Wire those for 120V for convenience. A 12/120V fridge is a good idea though. If you watch a lot of TV that might be another area where the extra cost of 12V is worth it.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2022, 15:57   #11

Boat: Carver 356

You must have a pretty decent size boat to have 220v appliances. All I have ever had was 120v.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2022, 16:24   #12

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quite a history on 220/230/240 volts. UK and continental Europe were 20 volts apart, settled on 230. A number of other countries at these levels also (homes and boats). A lot of the world has no 120v
team karst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 13:34   #13

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck34 View Post
You must have a pretty decent size boat to have 220v appliances. All I have ever had was 120v.

Welcome to the world outside of (mostly) the Americas!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_...ity_by_country
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 16:15   #14

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
Welcome to the world outside of (mostly) the Americas!
The OP mentioned 110VAC so I answered with that in mind. Obviously the same arguments apply whichever mains voltage we're discussing.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 17:31   #15

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Besides the already mentioned safety issues, one objection I have is overall electrical efficiency. Inverters do have parasitic loads, so for example, running the inverter to light a 120v (say) 20 watt lightbulb will inevitably take power power than running a 12v 20 watt bulb. Sure, the current is lower for the 120v bulb, but the power is higher due to inverter losses. Thus, the 12v approach results in somewhat reduced need to recharge the batteries.

We went the opposite direction in our boat, converting nearly everything to 12 v and were happy we did. Plus, a 12v boat really doesn't care if the shore power is US or EU -- the battery charger takes care of all that whereas many 120v (or 220v) loads/appliances do care -- often a LOT!
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appliances