Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2022, 18:40   #1

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Wiring up the 24V Muir electric winch

I'm about to wire up the 24V electric winch. I have all the very heavy cabling in place and the isolation switch and circuit breaker are in place. (I'm buying the appropriate sized cable lugs today as well as a 3A circuit breaker nominated in the circuit diagram)

Now I plan to wire up the UP/DOWN rocker switch in the cockpit. It needs to be a X3 cored cable and I'm thinking of using a 240V AC 10A cable.

My calculations tell me the cable could not handle 3A load (The cable would be rated for domestic use at 240V AC 10A). But my observation tells me otherwise.

Please advise!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 10-37-38 VR_VRC_850_900_1000_1200_1250_2200_Manual_(2016).pdf.png
Views:	34
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	266989  
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 22:17   #2

Re: Wiring up the 24V Muir electric winch

Thinking a bit more about it.

The cable could handle a 2400W load. (240V X 10A) as per manufacturers warranty.

Therefore the cable should be able to handle 240W (24V X 10A). Since the circuit breaker (or fuse) is only rated at 3A the load must less than 72W. (24V X 3A) So the cable could handle X3 times the load.

How am I going?
Old 08-11-2022, 22:22   #3

just pick up a 16/3 tined marine cable. whatever that is in mm. that's probaly what your 10a cable is.

cable is rated in amps.

the 10a cable can handle 10a. in 24v or 230v. there is no need to cacl watts.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 22:48   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
just pick up a 16/3 tined marine cable. whatever that is in mm. that's probaly what your 10a cable is.

cable is rated in amps.

the 10a cable can handle 10a. in 24v or 230v. there is no need to cacl watts.

Yep! I can see that now.

It's the first time I'm about to use a 240V AC cable on my 24V DC cabling so I'm still crawling.

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2022, 03:22   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Now I plan to wire up the UP/DOWN rocker switch in the cockpit. It needs to be a X3 cored cable and I'm thinking of using a 240V AC 10A cable.
Quote:

It's the first time I'm about to use a 240V AC cable on my 24V DC cabling so I'm still crawling.

Thanks.
There is no requirement for 3 cored cable. Three single wires will work just as well as will a twin core plus a single wire. The only reason to use a multicore cable is for ease of running the wiring. You could use 3 single wires and fit them into expandable sleeving or in spiral warp or just cable tie together etc. You could use 5 core trailer cabling and have two spare conductors.

Using 240V AC cabling for a 24V DC circuit is a really really a third rate amateur option. Electrically it will work but the industry goes to great lengths to keep high voltage AC circuits isolated from low voltage DC circuits (for obvious reasons). Using what is clearly a high voltage AC cable in a low voltage DC circuit flies in the face of all conventions; I implore you to reconsider...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 03:31   #6

This stuff (expandable sleeving) is your friend
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/32461525...BoCzYwQAvD_BwE

and

https://www.jaycar.com.au/expandable...xoCiEwQAvD_BwE

use some heat shrink on the ends to keep everything tidy.
If you hunt around, you can also find similar products in a fire proof material.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 09-11-2022, 03:36   #7

Even better 3 Core Silicone Sheathed Cable Wire Flexible Tinned Copper Power Cable
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/17510050...xoCNxUQAvD_BwE

or 3 core trailer cable
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/23314315...RoChnYQAvD_BwE
Old 09-11-2022, 03:49   #8

OK, OK Wotname, you win.

I've been buying all my cable online (eBay) but I want the winch operating on Friday so I'll probably buy from Jaycar.

As an aside what do you think of these? Would I be wasting my money? (I think I know the answer already) AU $3.54 - 7.41 / lot (80 Pieces)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3290...8daBvm8dv&mp=1

Old 09-11-2022, 03:50   #9

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I’m confused. It happens are you running heavy cable from the switch to the motor don’t. You can run 18 or even wireless. Pretty relays waiting to do the heavy lifting.
I have an old anchor roller and relays I’m trying to give away. It needs a new 24V motor. The switch only had 12V and 12V 5amp fuse. The one in the current boat is way nicer and has the hand crank. In both cases the battery’s for the fore gear are in the bow. The 3rd house bank. If you are running battery power from aft you are going to add a couple hundred pounds of copper.
In street lighting we run 347V to increase the number of fixtures and the distance vs 120V.
The US uses 277V for a similar benefit. Now with LED electronic controls we have metric tons of copper in the ground where we no longer need it.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 03:56   #10

Quote:
OK Wotname, you win.

I've been buying all my cable online (eBay) but I want the winch operating on Friday so I'll probably buy from Jaycar.

As an aside what do you think of these? Would I be wasting my money? (I think I know the answer already)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3290...8daBvm8dv&mp=1
Those are NOT acceptable. Wire terminals should have CLOSED ends to insert the wire into, be heavy enough to properly crimp in place, and should be tinned to protect from corrosion.

This article is probably way more into the weeds than you are interested in, but making proper connections on high amperage wires is IMPORTANT. Crappy connections start fires. At the very least, read this one and follow his recommendations.: https://marinehowto.com/making-your-own-battery-cables/
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 04:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDepends View Post
Those are NOT acceptable. Wire terminals should have CLOSED ends to insert the wire into, be heavy enough to properly crimp in place, and should be tinned to protect from corrosion.

This article is probably way more into the weeds than you are interested in, but making proper connections on high amperage wires is IMPORTANT. Crappy connections start fires. At the very least, read this one and follow his recommendations.: https://marinehowto.com/making-your-own-battery-cables/
Thanks for that: I won't go any further with the idea. (The ones I am using are nice shiny silver lugs and cost a few dollars each)
Old 09-11-2022, 04:44   #12
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Here, this is only $18, ready for 24V, completely wireless and you get 2 remotes! Just hang one in the cockpit

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081YS7ZSX

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 15:02   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Here, this is only $18, ready for 24V, completely wireless and you get 2 remotes! Just hang one in the cockpit

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081YS7ZSX

Thanks for that. I'll look at them but after get the yacht in the water
Old 09-11-2022, 15:13   #14

Boat: Volkscruiser

SV Jedi those remotes work really well, here in Australia the most common ones you see are exactly the same and have a blue casing. We have been using ours for four years without a problem. Probably 15% of the boats I survey use them.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, wiring, winch