Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2017, 14:35   #76
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Smartgauge vs Mastervolt Easyview-5 vs Simarine Pico

If you're inspired sometime for science, an A/B test would be interesting.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 14:59   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
If you're inspired sometime for science, an A/B test would be interesting.
That's one of the reasons I have all the breakers -- so I can easily bypass the MPPT controllers and revert back to my parallel panel configuration. To do a good test I will need a sunny day and to have my batteries partially discharged. I won't be getting around to it for a while, but when I do I will report back with some comparison results.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 15:19   #78

Boat: Lagoon 42

I have a BEP 600 battery monitor (with shunt) I have a Pico plus (with several shunts) if someone wants to send me a smartgauge to do an onsite comparison between the 3 I'd be willing to hook up the smartgauge and take some measurements , and send back the SG when we're done
ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 17:55   #79

We have the Pico system from Simarine, just waiting to be installed in our super total refit
It's an awesome product and the customer service is really good.
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:39   #80
cruiser

Are there any other high quality battery monitoring devices that I missed which need to be included in this discussion?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:20   #81

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

On those boats that are predominantly using solar power, both Outback and Midnite have good battery monitors that become very good when there is communication with the solar controller, especially if this is supplying most of the power.

Interfacing with the solar controller has advantages for both battery monitoring, for example, the battery monitor knows when the solar controller is dropping back to float, and for accurate battery regulation.

There are many other battery monitors from other companies, but most seem to be relatively basic models.

I suspect many are deliberately kept simple to avoid putting off potential buyers, but the accuracy suffers and they give battery monitors a bad name.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 13:31   #82
cruiser

There are **many** but all based on just counting AH in and AH out, so needing frequent manual Full re-sets and periodic recalibration of bank capacity as that walks down, requiring tedious 20-hour load testing.

None will be accurate without those measures.

Out of those the Victron 702-BMV is top notch

As is Bogart's Trimetric and Pentametric.

The former will also control its SC-2030 solar controllers from the SoC meter, up to 62A total output.

Midnight's Whizbang Jr is similar.

Votronic, MasterVolt, Redarc, BEP, Samlex, NASA, Crisyec and Sterling also come to mind
Old 12-10-2017, 13:49   #83

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
There are **many** but all based on just counting AH in and AH out, so needing frequent manual Full re-sets and periodic recalibration of bank capacity as that walks down, requiring tedious 20-hour load testing.

None will be accurate without those measures.
The better models will do an automatic reset. Knowing the amps into the battery and the battery voltage this does not require much processing power.

The battery capacity declines with age, but this is not hard to estimate. Any errors in this parameter will not affect the important AHr out measurement, which is the most critical display for most users.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 14:32   #84

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
On those boats that are predominantly using solar power, both Outback and Midnite have good battery monitors that become very good when there is communication with the solar controller, especially if this is supplying most of the power.

Interfacing with the solar controller has advantages for both battery monitoring, for example, the battery monitor knows when the solar controller is dropping back to float, and for accurate battery regulation.

There are many other battery monitors from other companies, but most seem to be relatively basic models.

I suspect many are deliberately kept simple to avoid putting off potential buyers, but the accuracy suffers and they give battery monitors a bad name.
The BlueSky solar controller also works well as a battery monitor in the fashion you describe. This level of monitoring is all that a cruising boat will typically need. I know of no cruising boats that resort to 20hr load testing, even in the off season.
Old 16-10-2017, 14:36   #85
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanPlanet View Post
Great thread! We've ordered a Simarine system to test in our shop, alongside the new Masterview and of course the Philippi PSM. Have also been the Victron BMV/CCGX system on the test bench as well, for automatic battery capacity testing, etc. We'll chime in with overall impressions in a couple weeks...
Any results yet on the Mastervolt Masterview??
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 14:53   #86

Boat: Mull 42-cold molded NZ 1970
Send a message via Skype™ to OceanPlanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
The BlueSky solar controller also works well as a battery monitor in the fashion you describe. This level of monitoring is all that a cruising boat will typically need. I know of no cruising boats that resort to 20hr load testing, even in the off season.
If you have Blue Sky Energy controllers, with most models you can add their IPN Pro monitor that includes a 500A shunt. We don't sell a lot of them but do keep a couple in stock
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OceanPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 14:57   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanPlanet View Post
If you have Blue Sky Energy controllers, with most models you can add their IPN Pro monitor that includes a 500A shunt. We don't sell a lot of them but do keep a couple in stock
Yep, that's what I have. I actually use a single shunt for both the BlueSky IPN and my old Link10 monitor. Works fine.
The reset point is very programmable on the BlueSky, so I think it hits 100% reasonably accurately.
Old 16-10-2017, 14:58   #88
cruiser

Quote:
The better models will do an automatic reset.
See Maine Sail's post on this

Avoid Using Auto-Sync or Auto-Reset When Cruising!

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/p...attery_monitor

Quote:
The battery capacity declines with age, but this is not hard to estimate.
Not hard? Actually impossible.

Quote:
the important AHr out measurement, which is the most critical display for most users.
Sounds like flying blind to me.

Say my nominal 400AH bank is actually now 250AH, but I think it's 350AH, and I keep drawing 175-200 every cycle.

And that's assuming the Full mark was accurate, which if you're relying on Automatic likely won't be.

SmartGauge bypasses all these issues.
Old 16-10-2017, 14:58   #89

Boat: Mull 42-cold molded NZ 1970
Send a message via Skype™ to OceanPlanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Any results yet on the Mastervolt Masterview??
Nope...have been swamped here, and the screen shipped was DOA. Rough shipping trip? Anyhow, hopefully replacement will arrive soon.

Today half of the Simarine shipment arrived; one box was missing, hopefully wasn't lost by FedEx...grrr....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OceanPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 15:04   #90

Quote:
See Maine Sail's post on this

Avoid Using Auto-Sync or Auto-Reset When Cruising!

Keeping Your Battery Monitor More Accurate Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

Not hard? Actually impossible.

Sounds like flying blind to me.

Say my nominal 400AH bank is actually now 250AH, but I think it's 350AH, and I keep drawing 175-200 every cycle.

And that's assuming the Full mark was accurate, which if you're relying on Automatic likely won't be.

SmartGauge bypasses all these issues.
The bank would then have only 60% of original capacity. You would clearly see low voltage as an indicator that the bank was shot while taking the bank down to 20% SOC (200ah out of 250).

Tags
mast, marine