Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2019, 06:58   #226
cruiser

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably in an anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 5,031
Re: Smartgauge vs Mastervolt Easyview-5 vs Simarine Pico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I'm not sure I would be all that interested in logging this data. I may be nerdy, but I have better things to do than obsess over the whole history of my batteries. I don't want to spend that much time with them.
It's gold dust! Just cos it's there doesn't mean you have to look at it every minute of every day But very likely will flag up any issues long before you'd stand a chance of noticing something was up just looking at the numbers.

Signalk will do it for you just by installing an influxdb database. Already apps to talk to victron battery monitors and victron bluesolar.

conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 08:20   #227
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2017
Boat: Retired from CF
Posts: 13,304
Re: Smartgauge vs Mastervolt Easyview-5 vs Simarine Pico

Getting an accurate comparison on meters' SoC% accuracy requires running multiple CC load discharge tests, as you do for SoH/residual capacity.

Not something most boaters are equipped to do, even in the workshop on land, and even pretty ambitious for a professional.

Maine Sail's SmartGauge article
https://marinehowto.com/smartgauge-b...nitoring-unit/

This is the main thread on Balmar's new SG-200 unit, oft confused with the Merlin SmartGauge that they have been selling and supporting (well) in NA market for many years.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...or-209056.html

IMHO should hold off on that, unless your House bank is LFP, or a specific model of lead that you see others have been happy with that meter's performance.

Maine Sail's article: https://marinehowto.com/balmar-sg200...ttery-monitor/

Like the Simarine Pico, firmware updates are likely to improve things in future.

Xantrex Link-Pro and Victron's 712-BMV are known-good SoC meters as well, if you want the Ah-counting approach.

Read these carefully first
https://marinehowto.com/programming-a-battery-monitor/
https://marinehowto.com/installing-a-battery-monitor/

While I was there, came across this:
https://shop.marinehowto.com/product...attery-monitor
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 12:50   #228
Moderator
 
noelex 77's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Boat: Bestevaer.
Posts: 12,266
Re: Smartgauge vs Mastervolt Easyview-5 vs Simarine Pico

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneJK View Post
if you move all the shunts to a different screen instead of the home screen you will suddenly see the Ah' . this feature is not explained in the manual but I think it has to do with display real estate and what can be shown at once
Thanks for the tip.

I tried this and it does give the AHr display that I prefer, but when I add the complexity of the three solar shunts (which is information I need) the amp hour capacity is lost.

Perhaps there is a workaround, but I have not found it yet.

BTW you can see on the photograph of my display that the current going into the batteries is displayed twice. It would be nice to replace one of these with the total of the solar shunts, which should be possible (without losing the individual numbers), but I have not figured out how to do this, so any hints would be great.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 13:45   #229
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bonaire making our way to Panama
Boat: 2004 Beneteau 473
Posts: 286
Re: Smartgauge vs Mastervolt Easyview-5 vs Simarine Pico

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Thanks for the tip.

I tried this and it does give the AHr display that I prefer, but when I add the complexity of the three solar shunts (which is information I need) the amp hour capacity is lost.

Perhaps there is a workaround, but I have not found it yet.

BTW you can see on the photograph of my display that the current going into the batteries is displayed twice. It would be nice to replace one of these with the total of the solar shunts, which should be possible (without losing the individual numbers), but I have not figured out how to do this, so any hints would be great.
regarding the Ah's they do seems to get lost the minute you add shunts to the same screen , I added all my shunts to a 2nd screen that then does not display the battery info but only shunts , so I have to switch between 2 screens to get all the info like Ahs remaining , current going in and out

the way I display it is I added 2x 20A shunts together for solar , but its then displayed as single shunt , it seems to be that way , I cant think of a way to show *and* the single shunts *and* the total of those , unless you add a big shunt and route all solar through that one after going through smaller shunts ?

I wish there was a manufacturer forum for Simarine like Victron has , would be a lot easier
__________________
www.svbluepearl.com
ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 19:14   #230
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bonaire making our way to Panama
Boat: 2004 Beneteau 473
Posts: 286
Re: Smartgauge vs Mastervolt Easyview-5 vs Simarine Pico

Ive been bolting my 600Ah lifepo4 pack together for the last 3 days

1 of the things I wanted to make were separate 'High voltage cut-off' and 'Low voltage cut-off' as first line of defense with the BMS as a 'last resort'

My idea was to use our current battery monitor (The Simarine Pico) together with the BlueSea 7700 Latching relays

This has taking me quite some time to solve as it seems that none of the current BMS manufacturers can operate 2 separate latching relays , some can do 1 , Mastervolt can do 2 (but I dont have a Mastervolt system) but afaik no one can operate 2 BlueSea 7700 latching relays

After a lot of searching I came across a Philippi box that could operate the 7700 latching relay based on a simple NO/NC signal, so I ordered 2 of these boxes

And to my utter amazement it works   everything works as I had it planned

The 500A shunt measures the battery voltage on the BMS and sends this info to the Pico system , when the voltage hits 14.3 volt an audible alarm is triggered and after 5 minutes the high voltage relay is activated , this activation puls triggers the philippi box which operates the ML-7700 relay

When the voltage drops below 14.3 volt the alarm goes off, a pulse is sent to the philippi box and the relay is engaged again >

There is a 5 minute delay between audible alarm and the relay activation so enough time to do something (shut down chargers etc)

The other relay works in the exact same way but with a low voltage alarm (12 volt) through the same shunt but through a different simarine box with a separate NO/NC contact

This way I have separate HVC and LVC
The BMS itself also has a 'last resort' cut-off but operate om much more critical voltages , 11v and 14.8v , and I would like to stay away from those voltages as much as I can

anyway , Schematic diagram
I will post some pics later , sadly it hasnt rurned out quite as neat as I planned but I cant get everything I would like here in Colombia so I had to repurpose some old used 70mm2 cables etc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 7.34.54 PM.png
Views:	91
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	201575  
__________________
www.svbluepearl.com
ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 20:26   #231
Registered User
 
Delfin's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Anacortes, WA
Boat: 55' Romsdal
Posts: 2,097
Re: Smartgauge vs Mastervolt Easyview-5 vs Simarine Pico

FWIW, I finally got the new BT Gateway installed for the SG200 today and although I am pretty sure it was essentially brainwiped, after updating the software its calculation of SoC for an LFP bank partially discharged was pretty much spot on. Encouraging. State of Health was at zero, since it had no learning cycles under its belt yet. My issue with it before was that SoH never went above 92%, which I knew was wrong based on capacity testing and I was not impressed with SoC. With updated software, hopefully SoH will be more accurate.

Scant to no documentation to guide users, but perhaps that will be remedied.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 01:12   #232
Registered User
 
CatNewBee's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2017
Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Posts: 2,998
Images: 3
Re: Smartgauge vs Mastervolt Easyview-5 vs Simarine Pico

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneJK View Post
Ive been bolting my 600Ah lifepo4 pack together for the last 3 days

1 of the things I wanted to make were separate 'High voltage cut-off' and 'Low voltage cut-off' as first line of defense with the BMS as a 'last resort'

My idea was to use our current battery monitor (The Simarine Pico) together with the BlueSea 7700 Latching relays

This has taking me quite some time to solve as it seems that none of the current BMS manufacturers can operate 2 separate latching relays , some can do 1 , Mastervolt can do 2 (but I dont have a Mastervolt system) but afaik no one can operate 2 BlueSea 7700 latching relays

After a lot of searching I came across a Philippi box that could operate the 7700 latching relay based on a simple NO/NC signal, so I ordered 2 of these boxes

And to my utter amazement it works   everything works as I had it planned

The 500A shunt measures the battery voltage on the BMS and sends this info to the Pico system , when the voltage hits 14.3 volt an audible alarm is triggered and after 5 minutes the high voltage relay is activated , this activation puls triggers the philippi box which operates the ML-7700 relay

When the voltage drops below 14.3 volt the alarm goes off, a pulse is sent to the philippi box and the relay is engaged again >

There is a 5 minute delay between audible alarm and the relay activation so enough time to do something (shut down chargers etc)

The other relay works in the exact same way but with a low voltage alarm (12 volt) through the same shunt but through a different simarine box with a separate NO/NC contact

This way I have separate HVC and LVC
The BMS itself also has a 'last resort' cut-off but operate om much more critical voltages , 11v and 14.8v , and I would like to stay away from those voltages as much as I can

anyway , Schematic diagram
I will post some pics later , sadly it hasnt rurned out quite as neat as I planned but I cant get everything I would like here in Colombia so I had to repurpose some old used 70mm2 cables etc
Just a hint, NO/NC relays can trigger the blue sea 7700 latching relays, but then there is always a small constant current on the 7700, therefore I created a impulse interface to reduce this. See my thread about the details and the circuit implemented. You need a capacitor, a LED and a resistor per channel to decouple the permanent current into the 7700.
__________________
Lagoon 400S2 refit for cruising: LiFeYPO4, solar and electric galley...
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 06:56   #233
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bonaire making our way to Panama
Boat: 2004 Beneteau 473
Posts: 286
Re: Smartgauge vs Mastervolt Easyview-5 vs Simarine Pico

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Just a hint, NO/NC relays can trigger the blue sea 7700 latching relays, but then there is always a small constant current on the 7700, therefore I created a impulse interface to reduce this. See my thread about the details and the circuit implemented. You need a capacitor, a LED and a resistor per channel to decouple the permanent current into the 7700.
it was my understanding that the 7700 needs a 7A switching current ? , the pico (according to the tech dept.) cant do this

anyway the 'problem' was solved with the philippi boxes
__________________
www.svbluepearl.com
ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 10:51   #234
Registered User
 
CatNewBee's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2017
Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Posts: 2,998
Images: 3
Re: Smartgauge vs Mastervolt Easyview-5 vs Simarine Pico

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneJK View Post
it was my understanding that the 7700 needs a 7A switching current ? , the pico (according to the tech dept.) cant do this

anyway the 'problem' was solved with the philippi boxes
Its different. The solenoids have a dedicated plus wire and minus wire providing the 7A current during the switching, the set and reset wires draw only around 50.. 100 mA for switching signals that are internaly amplified, so the pico can do this directly. But if you not use impulses to switch, this currents flow permanently. No big deal usually, but if the battery rests a long time without charging, you may drain it and even deep discharge it if wrongly wired.
And the Philippi boxes can do the same.
__________________
Lagoon 400S2 refit for cruising: LiFeYPO4, solar and electric galley...
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 12:17   #235
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 7
Re: Smartgauge vs Mastervolt Easyview-5 vs Simarine Pico

Hi,
How far did you get with reverse engineering the Pico protocol?
I've tried and think it's a modified modbus protocol. Standard CRC didn't apply and it took some help to get that done.
For now I don't have a full understanding of the protocol, but I am able to read the values from the device and insert it into SignalK.
Code can be found here:
https://github.com/htool/Pico2SignalK
hanst is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mast, marine

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smartgauge w/ 3 batterys tml Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 260 21-10-2017 21:44
Smartbank w/ Smartgauge - contactor becomes very hot bikesherpa Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 19 01-09-2017 21:30
SmartGauge -- Real Life Experience Dockhead Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 75 28-07-2016 11:06
For Sale: Balmar SmartGauge New in Box Ex-Calif Classifieds Archive 6 22-06-2016 10:28
For Sale: Sterling Batt Charger & Balmar SmartGauge SailRedemption Classifieds Archive 0 04-06-2015 06:08

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:59.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.