Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2018, 00:31   #46

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft
Re: The completely open plotter

Got the Raspberry pi B+ Formatted 32 GB sd card, copied Openplotter NOOB. Inserted card into Pi, powered it up waited for android tablet to recognize openplotter connected via VNC seemed to work okay. now to add charts. Put SD card back into PC it is now labeled recovery and capacity is now 2.84 GB, What happened. How do you put cm93 charts on the SD card. I have a lot more to learn but seems I am stumped on the basics.

Another 32gb sd card did the same
Old 28-09-2018, 00:40   #47

Boat: Halmatic 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee39 View Post
Got the Raspberry pi B+ Formatted 32 GB sd card, copied Openplotter NOOB. Inserted card into Pi, powered it up waited for android tablet to recognize openplotter connected via VNC seemed to work okay. now to add charts. Put SD card back into PC it is now labeled recovery and capacity is now 2.84 GB, What happened. How do you put cm93 charts on the SD card. I have a lot more to learn but seems I am stumped on the basics.

Another 32gb sd card did the same

Take an usb card reader/writer and connect the reader to the RPI. Then you can make a back-up copy of your system with the build in RPI copy software.

Adding cards can be done via internet Download. Or simply by putting the CM93 cards on an usb stick. Put the stick in the card reader and copy the charts to the Chart directory on the RPI.

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 00:42   #48

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by verkerkbr View Post
Take an usb card reader/writer and connect the reader to the RPI. Then you can make a back-up copy of your system with the build in RPI copy software.

Adding cards can be done via internet Download. Or simply by putting the CM93 cards on an usb stick. Put the stick in the card reader and copy the charts to the Chart directory on the RPI.

Bram
I'll try that but any idea why my SD card format changes?
Old 28-09-2018, 02:03   #49

Boat: Halmatic 30

Quote:
Hi Jubilee39,

the image of OpenPlotter is using Ext4 Linux format. If you use a Windows system. Windows can not use Ext4 format. However Linux can use Windows file formats. Therefore an usb stick (with windows file system) s readable by the RPI.

Your SD card is readable on a Linux system or the RPI.

The easiast way is to use an usb stick for transfering charts to the RPI Chart folder.

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 02:11   #50

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post

Not sure where you got this figure. Only very large hydraulic pumps draw this much power, most draw 8-10 amps. Linear drives use even less. Do you measure the current of the drive motor?
Not a large pump (volume is unknown to me), but I see current in typical usage eclipse 10amps. It's driving two Vetus MCT72 rams. The ACU 200 which is my current controller can pump out 15 amps continuous, while my old Ctrek unit pumps out a little more. It is nice to know the power is there if needed, and gives the option of upgrading.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 08:28   #51

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Not a large pump (volume is unknown to me), but I see current in typical usage eclipse 10amps. It's driving two Vetus MCT72 rams. The ACU 200 which is my current controller can pump out 15 amps continuous, while my old Ctrek unit pumps out a little more. It is nice to know the power is there if needed, and gives the option of upgrading.
The pypilot hydraulic controller can manage 20 amps continuous, 30 amps for a few minutes, and 50-60 amps for a few seconds. Continuous rating is measured and tested for safety and efficiency, but in practice the duty cycle ranges from 5-40%.

If the duty cycles is above 50% to hold course, the system is overloaded and won't steer well. You need to reef, or get a stronger drive.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 09:17   #52

So I love this idea. I have something sort of similar. I use a windows 10 tablet connected to a usb hub with serial connections to my Raymarine ST1000 autopilot and a GPS device. The tablet runs Polar Navy (I find the performance much better than OpenCPN and at $15 a year it's not expensive). I do need to run a usb cable. I originally had it set up with a wifi usb hub but the issue was I couldn't connect to that and tether to my phone at the same time.

I thought about the PI and such but the performance was frustrating since I find opencpn slow on a desktop.

The tablet is on a swing out mount I am really happy with so it can be viewed in the cockpit and also swung around inside. The nice thing is I can tether to my phone and use it for internet, netflix, etc.

I'll post some pics when I get back to the boat.
tschmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 11:08   #53
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

Can you configure an Android to run the code. You already have the screen and you can project onto a larger screen through a blue tooth connection or a software app.
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 11:50   #54

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:

If you are using Windows or Linux get to know how to use SSH to transfer files over Ethernet. On Windows there is a great free tool called WinSCP that connects to a Pi or any system running sshd. You never have to move the SD card around.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 12:17   #55

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

SD Card format for copying files between Win & RPI
Quote:
The image of OpenPlotter is using Ext4 Linux format. If you use a Windows system. Windows can not use Ext4 format. However Linux can use Windows file formats. Therefore an usb stick (with windows file system) is readable by the RPI.

Your SD card is readable on a Linux system or the RPI.

The easiest way is to use an usb stick for transfering charts to the RPI Chart folder.
TDan's suggestion for SSH transfer over ethernet

Quote:
WinSCP
Looks very easy.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 15:43   #56

Boat: Columbia 8.7; 29' - Penny Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersG View Post

Sadly, there is quite a glare on the screen.
I was using a netbook running Seaclear II with the original display replaced by a PixelQi display. They have gone out of business, but they made a wonderful 10.1 inch display that worked like a normal color display in normal or low light, and an almost paper white display in sunlight. The brighter the better!
Backlight turned off for very low power. The only time it was hard to read the display was if you purposefully held it so the sun was reflecting onto it over your shoulder.

You might find one on ebay.
G Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 16:19   #57

Boat: Dream 45'

Hello all,

See also Enriching an NMEA Stream

I'm following this thread.
iabmatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 17:40   #58

Boat: Catalina 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
I don't think your market and the openplotter market are the same thing. I know very few cruisers and DIYers who can afford a 32" TV let alone find somewhere to hang it and then power the thing. I see lots of big TVs on the boats I work on but they spend all their time in the marina planning what they will never do.
You should hang out with some of the catamaran crowd ;-)
mark0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 01:57   #59

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
The pypilot hydraulic controller can manage 20 amps continuous, 30 amps for a few minutes, and 50-60 amps for a few seconds. Continuous rating is measured and tested for safety and efficiency, but in practice the duty cycle ranges from 5-40%.

If the duty cycles is above 50% to hold course, the system is overloaded and won't steer well. You need to reef, or get a stronger drive.
Brilliant. The link through to the shop showed 3 amps (though Sean did say he can build higher powered ones), do you have a link to the 20 amp one you've seen?

Thanks.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 03:41   #60
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iabmatos View Post
Hello all,

See also Enriching an NMEA Stream

I'm following this thread.

Wow, that's a load of work!

Have you checked out openplotter yet? Signalk does so much now with numerous plugins for a host of kit and functions.

I've gone on to using influxdb for logging and chronograph for plotting, easy to set p and signalk has a plugin to send data to influxdb.

Signalk is the future!! We hope.....
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote