Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2018, 12:37   #16
Moo

Re: The completely open plotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersG View Post
All have different needs/opinions. I am just hoping that the stuff I build, including the electronics that I will put in the public domain will be useful to someone. In this case a small PCB that will plug into the raspberry and allow you to connect just about any 40-pin TFT with touch and also accomodate several NMEA inputs as well as real buttons.
We do all have different needs and experiences that shape those opinions.

I think that your PCB is a good idea. My suggestion regarding its implementation would be to make it stackable with the Openplotter hats. Your PCB stacked with the Moitessier hat would make a very capable, almost plug and play, plotter.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 10:28   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
We do all have different needs and experiences that shape those opinions.

I think that your PCB is a good idea. My suggestion regarding its implementation would be to make it stackable with the Openplotter hats. Your PCB stacked with the Moitessier hat would make a very capable, almost plug and play, plotter.

Agree.

Moitessier Hat (available): AIS + GNSS + compass + heel + trim
MacArthur Hat (development): UPS (battery) + on/off switch + ...
Slocum Hat (development): Analog to digital converter + I2C/1W/GPIO easy connection + ...

Let me know if you are interested in a modular system and interact with these hats to coordinate. But I'm afraid you're interested in a compact solution, right?
Old 18-09-2018, 10:46   #18

Boat: Riva 48

There are issues with an OpenPlotter. Radar integration and autopilot integration. Some can be solved (use a 3G or Garmin radar some, feed autopilot with waypoints via nmea) but you would never be able to get to the ease of use of a decent integrated system from Raymarine or Garmin.

The best way I see is to have a powerful Intel mini PC with multiple monitors (one small, sunlight readable in the cockpit, one small in the nav station area, one big 32" main TV and a wireless trackball. You can then use the big monitor for planning, weather, etc. and the small monitors for navigation. You can also replace the monitors as the technology matures, keeping the CPU and the connections to the boat systems. It is nice to have but not sure if it can compete with the dedicated systems. Even a 20 year old Pathfinder system will have better integration and hand off between the two radar displays.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 11:59   #19

Boat: Nordisk Familjebåt, 30ft

@Sailoog

Yes, I am interested in a compact solution and I have AIS reception in my VHF, but thanks for pointing me out to those hats. I was not aware. The DPI interface will blag most f the GPIO pins however.

Nevertheless might someone have use for bits and pieces of what I do, so I will keep you posted. I am toying with the keyboard now. Just to add a few real keys for stuff like zoom +/- etc. Will probably cram NMEA concentration into the same cistcuit.
AndersG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 12:04   #20

@Pizzazz

I love my old Garmin, but their support truly sucks. I asked them several times if there was an internal battery that needed replacing, they said no, but finally when it took literally hours to get an initial fix, I opened up the unit and guess what? There was a battery. Cost a few bucks and was easily replaced.

Also found out that whet that battery goes completely flat, the unit will not even start and that is something that I regard as a design fault beyond comprehension. OK, they would rather sell a new unit for €500 than a battery for 5€...

I juat hate all of this planned obsolescence. That is why I embarked on this.
Old 18-09-2018, 13:03   #21
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
The best way I see is to have a powerful Intel mini PC with multiple monitors (one small, sunlight readable in the cockpit, one small in the nav station area, one big 32" main TV and a wireless trackball.
I don't think your market and the openplotter market are the same thing. I know very few cruisers and DIYers who can afford a 32" TV let alone find somewhere to hang it and then power the thing. I see lots of big TVs on the boats I work on but they spend all their time in the marina planning what they will never do.

Your arguments are very definitely from the consumer camp. Openplotter is very definitely in the DIY and low budget/geek camp.

Sure some of the integration of Openplotter / OpenCPN to some components of a system such as Radar and pilot are lagging, but other aspects are a generation ahead.

As for RADAR - all of the consumer radars integrated into plotters from Garmin, Far, Simrad etc.. suck. They are so dumbed down as to be almost useless and in some aspects dangerous.

This dumbing down is to get them off of the retailer's shelves with the downside that the consumer who buys them knows nothing and learns nothing. These are not the people who will be, or should be, running OpenPlotter.. . therefore there is no conflict.
Old 18-09-2018, 13:13   #22
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersG View Post
@Sailoog

Yes, I am interested in a compact solution and I have AIS reception in my VHF, but thanks for pointing me out to those hats. I was not aware. The DPI interface will blag most f the GPIO pins however.

Nevertheless might someone have use for bits and pieces of what I do, so I will keep you posted. I am toying with the keyboard now. Just to add a few real keys for stuff like zoom +/- etc. Will probably cram NMEA concentration into the same cistcuit.
AIS on the plotter is awesome though

I am thinking about putting a pad such as the one in the pic on my next incarnation. Probably built from IP67 parts though. I picked this one up in clearance to play with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20180919080540.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	177600  
Old 18-09-2018, 22:12   #23

I will start with a 4x4 matrix, plus 1-2 modifiers (ctrl, alt). That will give me 16 keys. We will see how far that get sme.
Old 19-09-2018, 12:45   #24

Boat: 1975 Isander 28

I am happy with the Lilliput A7S 7" 1920x1200 500 nits photo field monitor. Some with say not bright enough but I disagree. Also high resolution makes up for small screen size... 12V OK... $155 from Amazon. I taped all the vents up and it ran OK for days (a bit hot but not too hot), so I am going to try and weatherproof it now.
skkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 05:55   #25

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
There are issues with an OpenPlotter. Radar integration and autopilot integration. Some can be solved (use a 3G or Garmin radar some, feed autopilot with waypoints via nmea) but you would never be able to get to the ease of use of a decent integrated system from Raymarine or Garmin.
pypilot is the autopilot of openplotter. It's extra that other autopilots can work, don't expect the same level of integration, you wouldn't expect this mixing raymarine and garmin components would you?

pypilot has the best integration with openplotter and already in this early phase offers features not available to other autopilots.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 08:26   #26

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:

Even a 20 year old Pathfinder system will have better integration and hand off between the two radar displays.
I have disagree. I have a Lowrance/B&G 3G radar connected directly to OCPN via RJ45 (no head unit) viewable both in the cockpit and at the nav station, the integration especially MARPA combined with AIS overlay is millions of miles ahead of my old Raymarine unit and even the latest boat show offerings and for a 10th of the price.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 06:11   #27

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

I am happily using Opencpn on a Jetway 12V computer with a USB powered 15 in monitor. I display raar overlay from a Garmin HD directly through ethernet connection. Power consumption is very low.
Having said that I came across this thread and hurriedly ordered an Arduino rasberry for my wife to bring down from the UK. My interest would be to build a remote monitoring system for the boat as we frequently are away for a period of time. I find that I lack much of the knowledge to do this although I have assembled several boat computers integrating all the nmea data for navigation.
My hopes are to have a system to monitor battery voltage, bilge GPS etc via the web powering up only the Arduino and a 4G router via the web. Is this feasible and assuming yes, any pointers would be appreciated. I just started studying the arduino system so assume complete ignorance on my part
Old 21-09-2018, 10:56   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee39 View Post
I am happily using Opencpn on a Jetway 12V computer with a USB powered 15 in monitor. I display raar overlay from a Garmin HD directly through ethernet connection. Power consumption is very low.
Having said that I came across this thread and hurriedly ordered an Arduino rasberry for my wife to bring down from the UK. My interest would be to build a remote monitoring system for the boat as we frequently are away for a period of time. I find that I lack much of the knowledge to do this although I have assembled several boat computers integrating all the nmea data for navigation.
My hopes are to have a system to monitor battery voltage, bilge GPS etc via the web powering up only the Arduino and a 4G router via the web. Is this feasible and assuming yes, any pointers would be appreciated. I just started studying the arduino system so assume complete ignorance on my part
sounds like you want to use openplotter - have you seen Home | Sailoog
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 11:00   #29
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee39 View Post
Arduino or Raspberry Pi? or is there a hybrid "Arduino Raspberry"?
Old 22-09-2018, 00:01   #30

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

As I stated I lack knowledge of Arduino. The home page of open plotter lists many exciting possibilities but nothing links to how to accomplish them. I have limited bandwidth so have not downloaded the program yet. I ordered off Amazon a raspberry pi which I assume is arduino. I will not get it until next week along with a gps module for it and an experimentation pack.
Will I be able to connect the Arduino to my 4G router directly without using the PC to monitor the boat while away?