Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 27-01-2017, 13:02   #2236

Re: Feature Requests

Is it possible to change AIS target setting for "Set target tracks, lenght (min).
It looks like maximum setting here is 60 minutes. If I set higher setting and restart Opencpn than setting is reverted to 60 min. I have installed Open CPN on a schrimp trawler vessel. It is useful information to see AIS tracks for last 48 hours to avoid trawling in same path as other trawlers allready has been trawling last days.
deep diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 14:10   #2237

Boat: Najad 34

Deep_diver..
There's another function you may try:
Open Target query for a AIS target and click the "Record track" button. A track should be recorded until you close OCPN or stop it by yourself.

But I haven't tried it for so long as you mentioned my self so make a try and report any issues please.

Håkan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	target querr.PNG
Views:	99
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	140268   Click image for larger version

Name:	ais_capt.PNG
Views:	78
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	140269  

Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 12:14   #2238

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Ingo,

The latest development version of OpenCPN in git now permits the NMEA 4.1 messages to reach the satellite status instrument. So this fix should be in that next release version.
Hello to all and sorry for being off the last weeks,

as soon the next release is published I will try this.

Meanwhile I take the chance to explain some of my tried settings. First of all you have to know that I use U-Center as OPEN CPN with virtual serial device. Thus the data stream for U-Center and for OPEN CPN is the same (in opposite to a special API, which is also available for U-Center to use USB directly). Therefore, whatever I tried I never managed to have a confirmed use of Gallileo proofed by U-Center and with the same setting HDOP information in OPEN CPN (including change of talkerID). I think this is exactly due to the reason described above. And to answer another question raised before by Gerhard- I use Firmware version 3.01 which is the latest for the navilock device.

So, I will wait for the new release. If you need more data or NMEA-stream let me know.

Thank you all,
Ingo
Ingo_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 12:19   #2239
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Ingo,

the 4.5 beta is available - just try
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:08   #2240

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Ingo,

the 4.5 beta is available - just try
Hello all,

OPENCPN BETA is installed an I tried several settings for my GPS-mouse.
Baseline for communication is NMEA 4.1 as discussed above.

I started the tests with a pure system meaning either GPS or Glonass or Gallileo switched on (but not combined).
In all three cases a got a proper fix shown in OPENCPN, an appropriate signal quality displayed and a correct number of satellites in use (compared U-Center with OPENCPN).
Afterwards I changed to the combined mode with all systems used to calculate the fix. Again I got a proper fix shown in OPENCPN. But I think the quality signal and number of used satellites is not correct.
The attachments show different screenshots (UCenter and OPENCPN). Please, have in mind that U-Center and OPENCPN uses the same signal and thus cannot run in parallel. So, there is a small delay between the pictures and therefore especially the number of used satellites might change. However, it is definitely higher as 10.
In conclusion I am fine with the result because it gives an impression of the quality of the signal even if it is not accurate. For me it is more of being warned in case of poor signal. And I think this will do.

Thank you very much for the support.

Greatings,
Ingo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Satshot.PNG
Views:	87
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	140714  
Attached Images

Ingo_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:20   #2241

Boat: Valiant 42

Ingo,

OpenCPN cannot display all the satellites in combined mode. There isn't room on the satellite gadget plus there is no standard in the NMEA protocol for multiple constellation messages. If you feel strongly about this then create an account on the OpenCPN flyspray and request the feature you want. But it will not be easy because the manufacturers of GPS receivers do not all agree on the message format. I think we have to wait until the industry agrees on a standard messaging system for multiple constellations.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:44   #2242

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

What kind of gps is that? I have only bu353 I don't think it can pick up russian or is it european?

In any case, is the fix more accurate? How much? Does it work better in storms when gps can be blocked? Does it get the initial fix faster? Can it detect if satellites are jammed? Can it work better if someone is jamming your gps?

Can it give accurate heading with gps in bow and stern?

As far as plotting the constellation, you would just have to hack it into the dashboard if you knew how to interpret the right message.... might only work for your type of message.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:02   #2243

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Can someone PLEASE put the "select ALL" option back into the chart downloader! it really sucks having to select 100+ charts one by one when you are downloading them. it used to be there a couple of versions ago!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:14   #2244

Boat: Phantom 19

pcmm...
Could you please elaborate a little bit on your platform and OpenCPN version you talk about? The "Select all" option is in the right-click context menu of the chart list as it always has been and I don't remember it ever being removed.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 04:36   #2245

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

pcmm, first update the catalogue! Charts that need updating will be automatically checked.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 05:00   #2246

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
pcmm, first update the catalogue! Charts that need updating will be automatically checked.
That only works AFTER the initial download. I just reloaded openCPN and had to manually select over 300 charts to download (enough for the ICW).

P
Old 13-02-2017, 09:43   #2247
Marine Service Provider

pcmm...

In the ChartDownloader, if you right-click on the chart list, you will see an option to "Select ALL" for downloading.

Do you not see this?

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	selectall.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	141126  
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 11:23   #2248

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
pcmm...

In the ChartDownloader, if you right-click on the chart list, you will see an option to "Select ALL" for downloading.

Do you not see this?

Dave
Hmm, Now I see that. Right click never used to do anything in that window! and there used to be a checkbox right on the window for select all. learn something new! thanks!
Old 14-02-2017, 11:21   #2249

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Pcmm see the manual right click is explained.

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...downloader_tab
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 07:31   #2250

hello
I’m a user of Open CPN, and I want to give you some tips for future improvements.
The big issue for me is the ETA panel and the way it’s showing all information.
I use for a long time Transas 3000.And a very important feature was showing ETA like day-month-year hrs-min. And it was updating automatically as you proceeding to waypoints and he was calculating ETA when arriving at each waypoint.Also another feature is when you like to calculate a ETA to a specified waypoint with a different speed.
For example your present speed is 15kn but you want to see your Eta with 14kn.
And when you have a 5000Nm route from Japan to USA I think is important to show you full ETA not only how many hours you run and only time without date.
I know have an option to put your departure time and date from first waypoint and then he calculate,but is not updating later one and it’s not showing and you don’t have any option to adjust time difference between first waypoint and last one. Like +9utc in Japan and -8 in USA.
Another issue in my opinion is the xte. Is showing Left and Right. In seaman vocabulary we are using port and starboard.And is a good idea to have an option to choose the limit. In open ocean you can keep a limit like 2nm xte but in coastal waters to adjust like 0.5 or …0.2 and so on…
Just from my experience this thing will improve a lot our seaman life.I’m using version 4.4 and I started long time ago from version 2…I was unlucky to be on big old cargo ship with without official approved ECDIS so I used Open CPN as reference.
I appreciate all the good work that all people involved in this project ,but all the time is place for improvements.
Thank you!
dj_app85 is offline   Reply With Quote