Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2021, 18:05   #1

Boat: Currently boatless and shopping
Where to put the cat box ?

Does anyone out there have a 38' sailboat and a cat? Where do you put the catbox on a 38' sailboat? What kind of litter do you use? Is the cat a good passenger?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Andym0097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 19:29   #2

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'
Re: Where to put the cat box ?

Years ago, I knew a couple who had a 'boat cat'. They modified their companionway steps/ladder to accommodate a covered cat box underneath.

As far as litter? We like/use Arm & Hammer.
garyfdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 03:21   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Hopefully, our resident 'cat lady' [cat herder, extreme blacksheep] will chime in.
Zeehag ➥ https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...hag-15904.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 14:17   #4

Boat: Jan Juan 21

I don't know how you feel about you tube sailing channels, but MJ Sailing did very extensive refit and placed the litter box under the companion way stairs
jhubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 18:09   #5

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

Many people train their cat to use the head, no joke. Youtube it. We have two cats, one learned quickly, the other is such a scaredy cat we had to give up. They both do fine passage making though.
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 18:10   #6

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

Forgot to add, we have the box in the head and just stock up on clay litter.
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 19:29   #7

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlyons View Post
Forgot to add, we have the box in the head and just stock up on clay litter.
Thread drift alert! You also have a beautiful boat.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 17:30   #8

Boat: Sabre 34 MrkI

We cruised for a year with a cat. We modified the area under the 'V' in the v-berth. We put a hooded version under there to keep litter from being kicked out. I wish I would've taught her to use the head. It would've been time well spent. We were always sweeping and it kinda kept me from going barefoot because I hated stepping in it.
Funny story about the cat, she got sea sick all the time. The rougher the weather, the more puke. We'd measure the weather by how many piles there were. We'd say "It was ony a 2 puker. Weather was good." or "Man, that was a rough passage, it was a 6 puker!" Other cruisers got involved in the lingo and we laughed about it the entire coast. My wife loved it...yeah.
The Resailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 17:54   #9

Boat: Gallart 13.50 MS

We put some fake grass up on the bow with some plastic under it. Tie a rope to the grass and flip it overboard in the mornings. Probably works because we have a female cat that won't leave the boat. She stays outside unless the weather gets bad, or we're under way.

During longer sails we put the grass over the shower grate since she stays inside.
Corvidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:19   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Resailman View Post
We cruised for a year with a cat. We modified the area under the 'V' in the v-berth. We put a hooded version under there to keep litter from being kicked out. I wish I would've taught her to use the head. It would've been time well spent. We were always sweeping and it kinda kept me from going barefoot because I hated stepping in it.
Funny story about the cat, she got sea sick all the time. The rougher the weather, the more puke. We'd measure the weather by how many piles there were. We'd say "It was ony a 2 puker. Weather was good." or "Man, that was a rough passage, it was a 6 puker!" Other cruisers got involved in the lingo and we laughed about it the entire coast. My wife loved it...yeah.
We’re you ever able to resolve the puking? We have 3 cats and a catamaran… 2 will be fine, but the 3rd starts frothing at the mouth as soon as she gets in the car… we want to cruise extensively with them, but it’s proving a hinderance… and they are our family :-(
Seacatoars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 04:22   #11

Boat: Gallart 13.50 MS

Most cats I've seen get over the sea sickness after a while. Ours was violently ill the first few trips, but now just voices her complaint at the beginning of each trip. Within a few hours of travel she's up on deck doing fine, giving us angry looks.
Corvidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 05:41   #12

Two cats, two boxes. In the bows. Our preference is for the pine pellets, which is stocked up. The pine breaks down and doesn’t get underfoot although they do track it some

One of my guys had foam at the mouth seasickness initially. The vet prescribed gabapentin. After a few months the cat adjusted. He still doesn’t like ruff, but now he just wants to be near the helm and will generally just snooze.

I can’t imagine living aboard without them; good company and even better varmint control
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 06:04   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Put the box on the poop deck of course!
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 07:33   #14

Boat: Currently boatless and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
For what it's worth I have a pirate flag story. Many years ago I was stuck at the Dry Tortugas waiting out a particularly bad norther. Several fishing boats were also there waiting out the weather and we hung out with the crews for a few days. Got to be friendly with one captain who mentioned he just got back to fishing after a five year absence. I asked how come and he confessed he just got out of jail for catching square grouper instead of the usual kind.

After a few beers one night he gave me the whole story. Took his boat to Jamaica, loaded up and headed back to the keys. Coming through the Yucatan they were boarded by the USCG and busted.

Two things I found interesting in the trial. He had a skull and crossbones flag below in a drawer which was found in the search. At the trial the CG witnesses and the prosecutor made a really big deal about the possession of a pirate flag on board, like these guys were real pirates instead of a bunch of stoner fishermen. Tried to use that as a factor to give them a much longer sentence.

The other thing that was interesting, the CQ presented a verbatim transcript of everything the crew said on the fishing boat while the CG vessel was watching them from a couple of miles away. Apparently the crew was talking about the cargo and expressing concern about being boarded. So since this was all heard they were of course boarded.

So one conclusion, some authorities in some situations might take a dim view of a pirate flag.
Am I missing something? What does this have to do with the cat box?
Andym0097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 07:34   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andym0097 View Post
Am I missing something? What does this have to do with the cat box?
Sorry, Clicked on the wrong thread. Deleted the post but you were too fast for me. Go read the thread about pirate flags for a context.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote