Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2021, 19:06   #1

Dog to Panama

I have a dog Labrador / Pit pull mix. Planning on sailing to Bocas del Toro in Panama then leaving boat for awhile. Then flying back to the states with my dog. Does anyone have experience with taking dogs to Panama and flying back to States. Cost and and quarantine before and after.
I read pitt bulls are not allowed in Panama but mine is a mix breed. I would appreciate any help on the subject.
sailman2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 08:34   #2

Boat: 2019 Tartan Fantail, Torqeedo Cruise 2 motor
Send a message via Skype™ to mghorton
Re: Dog to Panama

We took a dog to Panama several years ago. The process is quite tedious with documentation of a vet check needed plus evidence of rabies and other vaccinations. I recall that the requirements are listed somewhere on the Embassy/visa web sites. On arrival, which for us was Tocumen, an appointment is required with one of the Veterinary offices and they give clearance for the dog to enter the country, or go to quarantine if the documentation is not in order. We were fine and the official at the airport was extremely polite, and even called a couple of days later to make sure the dog had settled in OK. Bocas is probably more laid back, but best to follow all the requirements so your friend does not have to go into quarantine in less than ideal conditions. Departure is not a problem.
mghorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2021, 08:56   #3

Thank for information mghorton. Not sure if I want to hassle with the process or not. But I have some time to look into it. Do you know if you have to go through the same process if you were going straight through the canal and not ending the trip at Panama
sailman2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2021, 14:15   #4

Boat: 2019 Tartan Fantail, Torqeedo Cruise 2 motor
Send a message via Skype™ to mghorton

I am really not sure. Clearly you will have to check in to Panama on arrival but I would expect the "pet" rules to be different for a transit. ACP might have something on their web site or I can ask friend down there to check if you want to get a definitive answer.
mghorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 23:23   #5
cruiser

Your dog will be a real traveler
charleshilll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Panama