Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2023, 14:22   #1

Boat: S2-35C
Is the gimbled propane oven obsolete?

I have no aspirations of world cruising, crossing oceans or going to the furtherest reaches of the world. I do on the other hand plan to take off in November for the Bahamas and further south. I look at the size of my Force 10, the hassle of getting propane, the danger no matter how minimal of propane, especially in the tropics and question the benefits. Is this just another hold over of tradition with limited real need today, especially when the vast majority of boats are rarely ever out for extended periods of time.

Don't get me wrong, living aboard since 2007 in a marina I've cooked up feasts in my galleys, but now that I don't plan to be tied to the marina with ready access to a car and propane, look at this huge volume of space the stove occupies that could be better used as storage with a small portable Japanese style stove. Those of you cruising, especially in the Caribbean, what are you doing?
pas63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 14:26   #2

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058
Re: Is the gambled propane oven obsolete?

Gambled = Gimballed :-)... They are certainly still the primary way to cook. As more go to Lithium I imagine induction cooktops will take over. Still... How do you cook "oven-style"?
Old 12-09-2023, 14:36   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
Gambled = Gimballed :-)... They are certainly still the primary way to cook. As more go to Lithium I imagine induction cooktops will take over. Still... How do you cook "oven-style"?
Offing spell check lol
Old 12-09-2023, 14:37   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
And I have 400 amps of lithium and am installing 4 x 220 was solar panels. How do you cook oven style? Airfryer. How many want a propane oven on in the tropics?
Old 12-09-2023, 14:43   #5

Boat: Finnsailer 38

It depends on what you cook and eat. Sure, you don't need an oven, but the gimballed stove is still quite useful offshore for heating a kettle or a pot of soup. Even when in the tropics we often bake bread, muffins, brownies, cupcakes, and you name it. Baked fish and chicken is nice. We also do a lot of grilling on the stern. I carry enough propane to go a year or more of fulltime use, so I just plan on filling up when it is convenient. No, the oven is not essential, but we like having one.
Old 12-09-2023, 15:43   #6

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Is the gimbled propane oven obsolete?

Try a gimbled convection microwave with grill.

Easy.
Old 12-09-2023, 16:57   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas63 View Post
I have no aspirations of world cruising, crossing oceans or going to the furtherest reaches of the world. I do on the other hand plan to take off in November for the Bahamas and further south. I look at the size of my Force 10, the hassle of getting propane, the danger no matter how minimal of propane, especially in the tropics and question the benefits. Is this just another hold over of tradition with limited real need today, especially when the vast majority of boats are rarely ever out for extended periods of time.

Don't get me wrong, living aboard since 2007 in a marina I've cooked up feasts in my galleys, but now that I don't plan to be tied to the marina with ready access to a car and propane, look at this huge volume of space the stove occupies that could be better used as storage with a small portable Japanese style stove. Those of you cruising, especially in the Caribbean, what are you doing?
I will tell a secret

Marinas etc know boats use propane and places that boats go generally have propane refills either on site or they send them out for refilling . ...................... even in The Bahamas! You need to have an extra tank so you can wait till getting to a place, but that applies even cruising along the US coast.
Old 12-09-2023, 17:17   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We live aboard in the Caribbean. Propane is easy except French islands. Propane is everywhere in the US. If in Trinidad, refill with Trini mix. More BTU in a 20# tank than pure propane. One 20 pounder lasts at least seven months
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 06:38   #9

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
More BTU in a 20# tank than pure propane. One 20 pounder lasts at least seven months
We carry two 20# tanks when cruising fulltime, which gives us plenty of time to find the next convenient propane refill. So many boats use propane it is easy to find this out by just asking around any anchorage or marina.
Old 13-09-2023, 06:41   #10

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I wouldn't say the traditional gimballed propane stove is obsolete, but it's no longer the universal solution it was for a while. There have always been other options like alcohol stoves, but electrically powered options like induction have become viable on a far wider range of boats.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 07:28   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The fuel or source of energy for the stove/oven is the most critical factor. Over the years we have used most of the options, propane/butane, electric, diesel and alcohol, on various boat we have owned. There is no perfect solution. A mixture of options is hard to beat if your plans are to cruise diverse areas.

Gimballed propane is sometimes the best option, so is usually worth retaining, but the Caribbean has excellent solar insolation year round so if you are confining your cruising to this area and can install enough solar (usually at least 1000w) electric cooking is hard to beat. On the other hand propane refills are very easy in the Caribbean, so either fuel is OK if you have not enough room for adequate solar.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 07:50   #12

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas63 View Post
[....] the danger no matter how minimal of propane[....]

[....] the stove occupies that could be better used as storage with a small portable Japanese style stove.

I am not certain what you mean by a "Japanese style stove." If you are referring to the ones that use butane canisters the size of hairspray cans, I don't believe they are necessarily any safer than a propane installation. We had a thread on those a month or so ago, and the feedback from surveyors was that they will end up being flagged as a risk in a survey that most insurance will not accept.

All fuels pose risks.
Old 13-09-2023, 22:37   #13

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

The biggest risk of those disposable can style cookers is that a can will be lost or forgotten down the back of some storage locker and eventually rust.out and leak. At which point it fills your bilge with a very explosive mix.

I'm pretty sure there has been at least one fatality or very serious injury attributed to just this issue.
Old 13-09-2023, 23:14   #14

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

One other option, if you don't go electric, and you want to eliminate the oven (which I would do in your case) is the Omnia stove top oven which I have and we love it. With the silicon insert there is no muss, no fuss.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ture32970.html
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ture30751.html
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ture29119.html

https://www.omniasweden.com/us/
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 23:38   #15

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

certainly our oven / cooktop is not gimballed

cheers,

Tags
oven, propane