Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2023, 12:48   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Is the gimbled propane oven obsolete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
certainly our oven / cooktop is not gimballed

cheers,
And just to give another perspective, certainly our electric stove is gimballed because I wanted it to so built it that way. The oven query? we use a Remoska, brilliant for fish, joints of beef and port or baking cakes.

How do you cook going to windward or even bashing through the waves if it isn't gimballed? Certainly in our 5T yacht, cooking would be impossible without gimbals and pan holders.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vango2.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	280977  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2023, 23:44   #17

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

He's got a cat.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2023, 02:52   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
He's got a cat.
Oh, I thought he had a yacht.

Sorry, I will get my coat
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2023, 03:56   #19

Boat: Hunter 340

I carry 3 x 5lb tanks of propane on board and each tank generally last for 3 weeks. Propane works fine for me.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2023, 08:05   #20

Boat: Bali 4.8 Sailing Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
The biggest risk of those disposable can style cookers is that a can will be lost or forgotten down the back of some storage locker and eventually rust.out and leak. At which point it fills your bilge with a very explosive mix..
Timely post - as just two days ago (on land at my house) I went to light my BBQ with a "Bernzomatic" propane torch. Previously I had been worried that the torch assembly had been leaking when not in use so I unscrewed the canister and set it to the side. Lo and behold the valve on the canister itself had actually been leaking and the cylinder was completely empty.

Can't even imagine what the result might have been down in the bilge of a boat.

FWIW - we have a built in combo stove/microwave and induction cooktop on our Bali 4.8 and would never go back to gas. Surprisingly efficient and with 2,200 watts of solar and Integrel generators there are no compromises vs. a home kitchen.
Bali43Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2023, 08:25   #21

I like propane and it seems to be the best option out there.
Alcohol is alright
I see electric with generator equipped boats. Then you have to go get gas.

I have a propane 2 burner/oven and use the oven for storage. ) 2 gallons propane every 6 months.
Goodxcharly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2023, 08:51   #22

Boat: Olson 40

I removed the 100lb propane system (tank, lines, oven, etc) and installed a Convection Microwave (Home Depot) and an induction two-burner(?) (Amazon) and built a drawer under for cutlery, all 51lb hanging on relocated gimbals.
[And then enjoyed a tall glass of hot Saki ...]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cooker Package .jpg
Views:	119
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	281154  
tdgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2023, 08:56   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bali43Cat View Post
Timely post - as just two days ago (on land at my house) I went to light my BBQ with a "Bernzomatic" propane torch. Previously I had been worried that the torch assembly had been leaking when not in use so I unscrewed the canister and set it to the side. Lo and behold the valve on the canister itself had actually been leaking and the cylinder was completely empty.

Can't even imagine what the result might have been down in the bilge of a boat.

FWIW - we have a built in combo stove/microwave and induction cooktop on our Bali 4.8 and would never go back to gas. Surprisingly efficient and with 2,200 watts of solar and Integrel generators there are no compromises vs. a home kitchen.

The 1# propane tanks really are a danger. I kept mine in the propane locker. They corroded and leaked out. I now keep them with my clothes but I added a positive screw cap. (On line). Never leave the valve attached. I only have them for my torch. At least I see the tanks daily and my clothes locker is vented out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9162.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	281155  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2023, 09:35   #24

Boat: Tartan 4100

I am happy with my gimballed propane stove/oven, I love roasting a chicken in the oven in the fall/winter, there's something about going down below and smelling a delicious bird cooking! plus it warms the cabin nicely.
I also carry extra tanks in the propane locker as others have mentioned.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Resized_20201107_182127.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	281157  
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2023, 09:42   #25

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

On a cat? Gimbal no big deal. I sold my propane stove/oven off. Where the oven stove went now holds a 2 burner induction cooktop. Space below is storage. I used to have a microwave oven. That was replaced with a very nice Cuisinart toaster oven complete with 12 inch pizza stone. I also have a 3 qt mini Instant Pot that sees a lot of use. Use it for making brown rice in 15 minutes, cooking a pot of dry beans in an hour, reheating everything and so much more. Truly an amazing cooking tool onboard and if it's really awful out, I can put it in the sink where it can't escape and cook just fine there. Also went with an electric kettle. Lifepo4 batteries, solar to come.

This system can't explode, don't have to refill tanks etc. And induction cooking is simply amazing.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2023, 10:00   #26

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bali43Cat View Post

The disposable propane cylinders are a particular hazard. I had the valve stick completely open on one once, took off the torch head, propane hissing out. There's really no good reason to use these for cooking any more. Plenty of better alternatives.

I don't believe the butane hairspray-sized canisters are as bad. The pressure is lower, and the withdrawal rate is more limited. I also like the isobutane camping stoves.

Any fuel source for cooking poses hazards.
Old 18-09-2023, 10:23   #27

Gimballed propane is our cooking method of choice, at anchor or underway. We cook a hot meal almost every day and two 5lb propane tanks last 3-4 months. I've sailed from Maine to Panama and everywhere between and haven't found getting propane an issue.

Electric induction cooktop look great, but they are energy hogs. If you aren't already set up with LiFePO⁴ (and have the inverter power and solar to handle the job, plan on upgrading to the tune of $10K+.
karkauai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2023, 10:32   #28

All Propane tanks should be housed in vented single-user lockers, or outside the boat. They should have a shutoff valve at the tanks which can be controlled from the galley and have a visual reminder whenever they are open that gets your attention if you forget to shut off after use.

All piping/hoses need inspection regularly with a sniff test when valve is open.

One cruiser let his stove gimbal all the time. He pulled the stove out for something else and found chafing on the propane hose that could have caused a calamity. All hoses will be safer if they are steel-clad.
karkauai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2023, 10:40   #29

Boat: Tartan 4100

Quote:
Originally Posted by karkauai View Post
All Propane tanks should be housed in vented single-user lockers, or outside the boat. They should have a shutoff valve at the tanks which can be controlled from the galley and have a visual reminder whenever they are open that gets your attention if you forget to shut off after use.

All piping/hoses need inspection regularly with a sniff test when valve is open.

One cruiser let his stove gimbal all the time. He pulled the stove out for something else and found chafing on the propane hose that could have caused a calamity. All hoses will be safer if they are steel-clad.
Great tips and in addition, make sure you have a propane sensor/alarm as well. Many systems allow for multiple sensors, put one under the appliance and one in the bilge
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2023, 12:41   #30

I've replaced the old propane oven/stove with:

* electric kettle aroma pro AWK-3000 316L stainless ($67)

* instantpot duo mini 3qt ($80)

* instantpot vortex+ 6qt airfryer ($100

* duxtop 9600LS induction cooktop ($115)

* metal grill for cooking over an open fire on the beach

Can only run 2 of the electric appliances at a time on my 3600w inverter. They all cook way faster than their gas equivalent and leave less heat in the cabin. Can also cook in the cockpit if not to heeled.
paulruiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven, propane