Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2021, 10:47   #46

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy
Re: Coffee pot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander-Chaos View Post
Also thinking about this same issue for our new boat a SF37, thinking we try both the italian Bialetti coffee pot or a kettle and stainless steel thermos with cone coffe filter. I own both, so i dont have to buy anything else except for a non marine kettle. Is that allowed?

What? Non-marine stuff on a boat !?! Oh the humanity of it all...

Just kidding. You are allowed. I scored a stainless steel kettle at a secondhand store a while back.
Old 25-12-2021, 10:48   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwin View Post
The trouble with french press is it makes "muddy" coffee that just isn't very good. The coffee from an aeropress is much better. It must be the filter quality. I use an aeropress when I travel,but on the boat my preference is a stovetop espresso, and as someone else has already said the induction models are good because they are stainless. I don't drink coffee at sea because it messes with my ability to fall asleep quickly which is in my view essential when off-watch periods are limited.

"Muddy"? I like my coffee muddy. French press is great, but it's a lot of trouble. Aeropress is even more trouble, and not better than French press in my opinion.

Sometimes on my boat, we have what we call "cowboy coffee" -- just pour boiling water over the grounds in the cup. Strain with your teeth. Yum! Talk about "muddy"
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2021, 11:52   #48

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
"Muddy"? I like my coffee muddy. French press is great, but it's a lot of trouble.
Lot of trouble? Add coffee, add boiling water. Wait 4 minutes. Enjoy a few great cups of coffee!
I have three different sizes on the boat!
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2021, 19:56   #49

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
"Muddy"? I like my coffee muddy. French press is great, but it's a lot of trouble.
Agreed, thick and chewy is the best . French press works great for us (did I say that already in this thread... seems like it's come back from the dead). I find it the easiest thing to manage. No filters, boil water and pour. And coffee ground all go over the side. I rinse the whole pot over the side using a dipping line tied to the handle.

Quote:
Sometimes on my boat, we have what we call "cowboy coffee" -- just pour boiling water over the grounds in the cup. Strain with your teeth. Yum! Talk about "muddy"
We call this camp coffee, but we just boil it in a pot. Once removed from the heat the grounds settle to the bottom. If you pour gently, you don't even get many grounds to chew on.
Old 25-12-2021, 20:14   #50

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
We call this camp coffee, but we just boil it in a pot. Once removed from the heat the grounds settle to the bottom. If you pour gently, you don't even get many grounds to chew on.
We used to pour a little cold water over the top of the grounds in the pot to make them sink. Egg shells thrown in will also settle the grounds so I am told.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2021, 20:22   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
We used to pour a little cold water over the top of the grounds in the pot to make them sink. Egg shells thrown in will also settle the grounds so I am told.
I've heard the cold water suggestion as well. I always found it unnecessary. Maybe I boil my ground longer . I do like strong coffee.

Egg shells is a new one though.
Old 25-12-2021, 21:25   #52
Marine Service Provider

Set the thermos in the sink to pour boiling water into it...I even do that at home on land.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2021, 23:33   #53

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Set the thermos in the sink to pour boiling water into it...I even do that at home on land.

--Peggie
Agreed! Pouring into a receptacle on a swinging gimballed stove is not so easy if there is a bit of pitching along with the rolling, and the chances of a disaster are too great. The sink stays put, and it rolls/pitches at the same time as the pourer does, and any spills are self curing!

And I use a cheepo plastic outside, glass inside insulated press purchased for small bucks around thirty years ago in some island store when our fancy glass one died a seaman's death. It is scratched and a bit dented on the outside and the internal plunger seal leaks, but I use a small tea strainer to "improve" the clarity when I decant. Kinda agricultural but it has made countless gallons of decent coffee and I'm right fond of it!

Jim

PS in re an earlier post by Pete7: My friend, if you happily use instant coffee on board, it is no wonder that you prefer tea. This is the sort of thinking that has lead to the decline of the BE. Reform before it is too late... salvation is as near as the coffee supply shops in your nearby village.
Old 26-12-2021, 01:17   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Lot of trouble? Add coffee, add boiling water. Wait 4 minutes. Enjoy a few great cups of coffee!
I have three different sizes on the boat!
It's grinding the coffee first, then cleaning the pot afterwards which is the trouble. It's not THAT much trouble. I guess it's ridiculous to complain about it. But in the event we usually go cowboy, ot Nespresso.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2021, 05:02   #55

Boat: Hunter 340

Starbucks makes excellent small one serving packs of instant coffee. No mess, no fuss and it's instant!
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2021, 05:19   #56

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I believe you crack an egg into the coffee. At least that's how Tom Sawyer did it.
Old 26-12-2021, 07:37   #57

Yes, put the French Press in the sink when seas are lumpy. Pour hot water. Safe. Easy, peasy.
Old 26-12-2021, 09:41   #58

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

PS in re an earlier post by Pete7: My friend, if you happily use instant coffee on board, it is no wonder that you prefer tea. This is the sort of thinking that has lead to the decline of the BE. Reform before it is too late... salvation is as near as the coffee supply shops in your nearby village.

Anchors and coffee
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2021, 16:11   #59

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Got one of these
https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/871...2&odnBg=FFFFFF
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 15:52   #60

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

At home we use a Rocket Milano to make espresso which can be repurposed in several ways (cappuccino, latte, long black, etc). But the Rocket is too big for our small boat and needs a lot of power as well. So on board we have multiple ways of making coffee, depending on the situation.

Usually we use a stainless French press. We like the kind of coffee that comes out of these things. The Admiral will often use a Melitta filter, but I don't like the paper taste that they produce. We use an Aeropress which get's close to espresso quality but also have several sizes of Bialetti's on board. Clearly coffee is important.

When the boat is moving, we more often than not use the stainless French press, keeping the press well anchored in the sink when adding the hot water.

Lastly, cowboy or camp coffee can also work well. We do that Indonesian style (Kopi Tubruk) which requires very finely ground coffee (=Turkish grind). Great taste but getting the coffee ground to the right degree takes a lot of time, so again the French press is a close second based on taste and convenience.