Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2018, 16:51   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
French Press coffee pot recommendation

2 of the glass pieces of the Starbucks french press coffee pots have been broken on board when washing. They seem so fragile when out of the holder for cleaning.
Is there a more robust make out there for the small single mug size?
My one cup a day of French Roast in the morning, is an addiction!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 17:02   #2

Boat: Amel 50
Re: French Press coffee pot recommendation

This is the best one I found. It is all stainless steel, nothing to break or rust.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 17:02   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

Actually Starbucks has a great stainless steel job, 2 cups. Best I've seen but at some point the handle comes off if you toss it ovbd every morning for cleaning.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 17:17   #4

Check out the Aeropress. Better tasting coffee, perfect for a cup at a time. You will need to use a finer grind since a french press grind is so course, so be forewarned.
MountainKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 17:18   #5

Boat: Catalina 30

I can vouch for the Frieling Boom suggested I've had mine for a little over 2 years now and it looks almost as good now as when I got it, and I've not been too nice to it, it's been gear adrift in the cabin on average about once a month salt water rinse on the regular, far better than the 12v drip I experimented with and faster than the percolator, but without the aromatherapy.
SV_Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 18:16   #6

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

I'm with boom23 type/make's irrelevant provided that it's all stainless, we used to bust a couple a year of the glass ones but our stainless one's been doing its job for 3 or 4 years now; also get a couple of these onboard too:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smartcafe-C.../dp/B0007MTNH2
they're invaluable offshore.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 18:19   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

I finally hav up my French press and switched to single serving bags of coffee
Old 01-11-2018, 18:26   #8

Boat: Catalina 30

I went through several French Presses over the last year looking for one that is robust and doesn't allow any coffee grounds through. By far the absolute best one I found was made by a company called Espro. They are a little pricey at $35ish for the single cup size but so worth it!!

Travel Press — ESPRO - Make it Better - Coffee and Tea Gear

This link is for their one cup size, but they have larger versions available too. It is a 3 filter press where it has 2 mesh screens that you sandwich a regular paper filter in between. I put in 17 grams of medium coarse ground coffee in the bottom, let it steep for 4 minutes, stir, and then press. The coffee comes out awesome and like I said there are Zero grounds that make it through.

The other awesome thing about these presses is they keep your coffee or tea super warm. I have to let mine cool for 20-30 minutes before I can drink it straight out of the press and if I want it to stay warm longer I'll put the lid on and it will stay hot for several hours. Even without the lid the coffee stays hot for a very long time.

I can't recommend these presses enough. I have turned into quite the coffee snob and refuse to drink coffee any other way.
Old 01-11-2018, 20:36   #9

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

Bodum makes some excellent and very expensive french presses. They are double walled vacuum thermos that is also a coffee press. All of the glass presses let the coffee get cold if you don't drink up quickly. Heat kills coffee but keeping coffee in a thermos type container preserves the heat and taste of the left over coffee.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 20:40   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Thermos makes a double walled stainless frech press. Great product. Ive owned several for many years, both ashore and afloat.

The stainless is high grade...I rinse ours in sea water regularly...never any rust.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Vacuu.../dp/B00JFDHMPE
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 20:52   #11

After breaking a couple glass french presses, I purchased the one Boom suggested and I love it. Stainless and well insulated. If just for me, i fill it half way and that gives me 2 mugs of coffee, one I drink then and another one for later. The press looks new after 2 years.
oilystain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 21:50   #12

Boat: Outremer 50S

We really like our Planetary Design French press. All stainless, a non-skid bottom, well insulated (keeps coffee pretty hot for 1-2 hours). With more people on board we like the 32 ounce/1 liter size but they make both larger and smaller.

One of these days we'll try the Aero or some vacuum system, but for the nonce (and in answer to the OP's question) this is what we have, use, and like.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:07   #13

Boat: Pearson 303

I can second the aeropress, for multiple cups we bought this which have served us well. Unbreakable, but looks like any regular press.

https://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Brazil-.../dp/B002UG46DO
sveinung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:39   #14
QBF

The Aeropress makes better coffee, that is unless you need extra fiber in your diet.
QBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:20   #15

We love our Bodum at home, but aboard we use one of these Stanley presses. I'm a bit nervous about the handle attachment, but otherwise it's been great.

We also have an AeroPress, which is my go-to when doing coffee for one, but one short cruise was marred when i forgot one of the bits at home.

The french press is fewer parts, easier to use, and produces coffee faster so it's won out on our boat.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, men