Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2021, 11:56   #1

Coffee pot?

Hello all,hope all is well.
We're about to purchase our FIRST sailboat and looking for recommendations on coffee pots? We HAVE to have our coffee!! Haha
Thanks so much!
Mrs. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 12:15   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Coffee pot?

A kettle to boil water, a thermos bottle (the Thermos brand is EXPENSIVE, but worth it 'cuz they have a steel liner and and actually do keep liquids cold or hot for 12 hours...I have a quart size and a pint size), a cone filter and your favorite drip grind coffee. Heat the water, pour it over the coffee in the filter (amount determined by how many cups you want to make). You can even heat the water on an alcohol stove if that's all you have.

Others are certain to provide you with a variety of their favorite methods...that's mine when I can't use my over priced coffee maker.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 12:19   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Hmm, can't help there, we use instant coffee which comes in a little metal tin and goes into mugs with hot water. Normally made in the sink if we are bashing into a F4 so it doesn't matter when it spills.

Now tea, well making that is a whole ceremony as you would expect from the English Hot tea with a slice of lemon is refreshing in the afternoon.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 12:20   #4

Here's the best thread to answer your question:

Best Non-Electric Coffeemaker
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...er-249404.html

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 12:29   #5

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

If you really enjoy coffee vs bitter, black-colored water, then I recommend a Thermos stainless steel coffee press. I think there is a similar Nissan brand one. It’s essentially an insulated French press.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Vacuu.../dp/B0829BKC36
Old 12-09-2021, 12:38   #6

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. View Post
Hello all,hope all is well.
We're about to purchase our FIRST sailboat and looking for recommendations on coffee pots? We HAVE to have our coffee!! Haha
Thanks so much!
We have to have our coffee too.

We have a metal tea pot to boil water, and use a Melita filter system but put the funnel on a metal coffee pot.

Also, we buy dark roasted, whole, beans, keep them in the freezer after opening the bag, and grind them daily.

This system is simple, fast, and delivers excellent coffee, six cups at a time and the metal pots are unbreakable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	142634-Coffee set up.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	245159  
Old 12-09-2021, 12:45   #7

Boat: SeaRunner 37, 11.3 metres

It depends on your conditions, calm, rolling, tossing. You don't want to spill boiling water on yourself. A kettle with tight-fitting lid and a pour spout, strong handle. Click image for larger version

Name:	coffee pot.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	245160 This one has a wide base for stability, and it is also a percolater. I like the tea kettle Wingsail pictured if it's calmer, but for me it's just a little harder to pour accurately in rough seas. You want to minimize pouring hot water. If calm, a drip filter is my preference and into a Thermos.

If it's very rough I'll use a french press commuter mug to minimize spillage. I have a Thermos brand insulated French Press that is also a sippy-cup (commuter mug), so I just measure the coffee grounds into the Thermos, pour in the hot water, wait about 3 or 4 minutes, press the sieve down slowly, open the top and pour in the Half & Half, reseal and drink. Stays hot and little risk of scalding. Only one pour of the hot water.

Click image for larger version

Name:	French Press.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	245158 I got mine at Walmart for about $16 US.

And I'll share some empirical research with you. If you like dairy Half & Half, get the Walmart brand Half & Half that is ultra-pasteurized. I've stored it unopened for up to 3 months unrefrigerated (room temperature) and it remained perfect. And I've used it unrefrigerated for up to 4 days after opening, but if you've got the room put it in your refrigerator.
Old 12-09-2021, 13:04   #8

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRN View Post
It depends on your conditions, calm, rolling, tossing. You don't want to spill boiling water on yourself. A kettle with tight-fitting lid and a pour spout, strong handle. Attachment 245160 This one has a wide base for stability, and it is also a percolater. I like the tea kettle Wingsail pictured if it's calmer, but for me it's just a little harder to pour accurately in rough seas. You want to minimize pouring hot water. If calm, a drip filter is my preference and into a Thermos.

If it's very rough I'll use a french press commuter mug to minimize spillage. I have a Thermos brand insulated French Press that is also a sippy-cup (commuter mug), so I just measure the coffee grounds into the Thermos, pour in the hot water, wait about 3 or 4 minutes, press the sieve down slowly, open the top and pour in the Half & Half, reseal and drink. Stays hot and little risk of scalding. Only one pour of the hot water.

Attachment 245158 I got mine at Walmart for about $16 US.

And I'll share some empirical research with you. If you like dairy Half & Half, get the Walmart brand Half & Half that is ultra-pasteurized. I've stored it unopened for up to 3 months unrefrigerated (room temperature) and it remained perfect. And I've used it unrefrigerated for up to 4 days after opening, but if you've got the room put it in your refrigerator.
Yes, pouring hot water in a rough seaway is dangerous. My job is making coffee, every day. I think about that every time. Fortunately our boat's motion is pretty gentle even going to weather in bad stuff, I've never spilled the boiling water. But occasionally I knock over the whole filter & pot thing and what a mess (yesterday I did that at the dock) six cups and all the grounds all over the stove top.

About the thermos units: My friend (Judy's best friend) was pouring boiling water into an open thermos jug, (like the one pictured above) and a fishing boat drove by leaving a big wake. The jug tipped over and poured the boiling water right into her sea boot (they were in Alaska). This resulted in the most horrific burns and she had to be flown to a hospital and the recovery was long and painful. I would be very careful about filling any tall narrow container with hot water on a boat.
Old 12-09-2021, 13:14   #9

Boat: SeaRunner 37, 11.3 metres

Wingsail shares a very important point.

I always, even at dock when calm, secure items.

Typically I would only use the french press sippy-cup when conditions are rough, and mine fits tightly into the the grill of the galley stove, wedging it tightly in all directions except upside down. If it wasn't able to fit securely there I'd find another way, perhaps wedged into the sink against a sack of vegetables or something else that would ensure stability.
Old 12-09-2021, 14:09   #10

Boat: Rafiki 37

Another happy insulated stainless steel French press user here. Simple, easy to use, cleans up nicely without the need for filters. Makes a decent amount at one time (which is important on our boat ).
Old 12-09-2021, 14:36   #11

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

If we are in rough conditions I use a french press. I also have a mug that has a press built in(very convenient for night watch)
If we are at anchor I much prefer espresso. I use an electric Burr grinder and a Flair manual press. It's very easy and makes a great shotClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210912_173227101_HDR.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	245168
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 14:40   #12

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

We use the filter/drip cone mentioned by Peg. We drip it into a vacuum bottle for lasting hot coffee. We can wedge everything onto the sink if we have to.

Coffee in the morning is at the top of the food pyramid.
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 23:27   #13
cruiser

Hi! The sea, a sailboat and fragrant freshly brewed coffee... This is just a dream! I also can't imagine my life without this wonderful drink, so I understand you perfectly. I tried different coffee pots and coffee accessories. Many of them are not of good quality. Recently I found a very cool website where you can learn something new about the world of coffee and order coffee pots, coffee beans and everything you need to drink coffee was really nice…..
charleshilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 04:47   #14
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleshilll View Post
Hi! The sea, a sailboat and fragrant freshly brewed coffee... This is just a dream! I also can't imagine my life without this wonderful drink, so I understand you perfectly. I tried different coffee pots and coffee accessories. Many of them are not of good quality. Recently I found a very cool website where you can learn something new about the world of coffee and order coffee pots, coffee beans and everything you need to drink coffee was really nice..[/URL]

Anything called caramel vanilla cream ( artificially flavoured ) coffee can’t be right.

Get a decent expresso pot and some arabica coffee

It’s not hard
Old 28-09-2021, 05:26   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleshilll View Post
Hi! The sea, a sailboat and fragrant freshly brewed coffee... This is just a dream! I also can't imagine my life without this wonderful drink, so I understand you perfectly. I tried different coffee pots and coffee accessories. Many of them are not of good quality. Recently I found a very cool website where you can learn something new about the world of coffee and order coffee pots, coffee beans and everything you need to drink coffee was really nice……..

Hmmm, new CF member, joins and immediately makes two meaningless posts in other threads followed by a commercial link in the third post all in 4 minutes,

If i looks like spam and smells like spam.....
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote