Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2019, 09:05   #46

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: gun ads on CF??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
Whoa there!

Don’t be hating on the poly guns

There is a reason the G19 is such a highly regarded carry choice

That said I summer carry a small all metal, but winter carry a G19 sized polymer.
All tongue-in-cheek N-Mac. No hating' or luvin' on any of 'em, at least not on this forum.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 09:15   #47

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
All tongue-in-cheek N-Mac. No hating' or luvin' on any of 'em, at least not on this forum.

So you’re saying I shouldn’t start a thread about recommendations for a launcher setup to shoot skeet of the back of my cutter?
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 09:24   #48

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:

So you’re saying I shouldn’t start a thread about recommendations for a launcher setup to shoot skeet of the back of my cutter?
You should only start it if you are shooting skeet with a slingshot.

tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 09:31   #49

Boat: Valiant 42

I have never seen a gun add on CF. So I think this must have been a targeted ad. I see targeted ads all the time on CF and other sites. It’s kind of spooky but nevertheless benign.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 09:46   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
As a magazine writer to learned to always study the ads when I was pitching to a new market. This was a far better way to understand who the magazine was actually targeting, rather than believing what the 'contributor's guidelines,' or listening to what the editors said.

Advertisers and marketers have always been very good at knowing who we really are, not who we say we are. And now Google et al. has taken this to a whole new level (of understanding, and intrusion).
I dunno. When you see ads in a magazine, they're curated somewhat - chosen to fit to some extent and most importantly, to not actually offend the expected reader of the magazine. Not so with most web advertising. The matchups are not always appropriate and still often tasteless. At least it's not that woman stretching her face ( a la Katherine Helmond in Brazil) like used to come up everywhere a few years back. Yecch.

What I most hate though (and CF is mercifully free of) is those pseudo-news links that are just click-bait ("Doctors say to avoid these 5 foods", "Remember XXXXX from tv's YYYYY? You'll gasp when you see her today", etc) that show up on most news-y sites, even the BBC. Usually from link aggregators like Taboolah or Outbrain.

Definitely there's lots of improvement still possible in web advertising.

... and my CF is delightfully free of gun ads.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 09:47   #51
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

The ads may be benign.

The surveillance having become so constant,

including geolocation realtime tracking, history stored forever available for rewinding anytime by ever more sophisticated data-mining AIs,

multi-faceted sources databases all cross-referenced, consolidated and available to anyone with cash

certainly is not.

Bigger longer-term threat to freedom IMO than money's influence on our governance, potentially repressing citizens' ability to resist future totalitarian tendencies.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 11:30   #52

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I dunno. When you see ads in a magazine, they're curated somewhat - chosen to fit to some extent and most importantly, to not actually offend the expected reader of the magazine. Not so with most web advertising. The matchups are not always appropriate and still often tasteless. At least it's not that woman stretching her face ( a la Katherine Helmond in Brazil) like used to come up everywhere a few years back. Yecch.

What I most hate though (and CF is mercifully free of) is those pseudo-news links that are just click-bait ("Doctors say to avoid these 5 foods", "Remember XXXXX from tv's YYYYY? You'll gasp when you see her today", etc) that show up on most news-y sites, even the BBC. Usually from link aggregators like Taboolah or Outbrain.

Definitely there's lots of improvement still possible in web advertising.

... and my CF is delightfully free of gun ads.
My point with the ads in magazines LE is that advertisers and marketers know, usually better than the wordsmiths, who is actually reading the magazine. Editorial can be aspirational, but advertisers are more realistic because it's their bottom line.

But as for the ads here, I just don't see any of them. Haven't for years. I have never agreed to be be bombarded with advertising, and have happily blocked it ever since the WWW went to the dark side.

Remember those halcyon days when advertising was not only absent from the Internet, but was actually verboten? Back in the early days the Internet was ad-free, and strongly enforced that way (by users, not any police).

Ah, the good old days ... when everything was text-based, and it took 12 hours to download a decent image .
Old 25-12-2019, 11:36   #53
cruiser

Back when the fantasy the Internet would be good for humanity, was still a real possibility.

I remember when also true for television, my family was involved with Bill Paley's Philharmonic broadcasts.

Turned into the "cultural wasteland" we now live in, caused by the same forces

Why I've never lived in a household with a TV. . .
Old 25-12-2019, 11:43   #54

I’ve found not being cross logged in, clearing cookies on browser close and using a VPN pretty much takes out lots of those targeted adds and all.

Still seems odd how many on CF don’t like firearms.

And slingshot, man I think I had one when I was like 5 lol, been debating building something like this up, be ok for some skeet with the right choke, but mostly for some fun in three gun

Old 25-12-2019, 11:56   #55

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Back when the fantasy the Internet would be good for humanity, was still a real possibility.

I remember when also true for television, my family was involved with Bill Paley's Philharmonic broadcasts.

Turned into the "cultural wasteland" we now live in, caused by the same forces

Why I've never lived in a household with a TV. . .

Yup... about the same time, and the same fantasy.

Quote:
...Still seems odd how many on CF don’t like firearms.
It's not a question of like. Most cruisers (who travel outside the USA) understand they are mostly a useless tool.
Old 25-12-2019, 12:45   #56

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
I’ve found not being cross logged in, clearing cookies on browser close and using a VPN pretty much takes out lots of those targeted adds and all.

Still seems odd how many on CF don’t like firearms.

And slingshot, man I think I had one when I was like 5 lol, been debating building something like this up, be ok for some skeet with the right choke, but mostly for some fun in three gun

A slingshot is handy for dealing with sea gulls and other pests. If you really wanna go big you can use a real sling, or even a shepherd's staff sling. While there is debate about which one David used fighting Goliath they have stood the test of time; if you develop the skill to use one.

Never tried three gun. I do mostly silhouette shooting, CZ 455 and Volquartsen Scorpion, or long range stuff with my TAC A1. Have tried Cowboy Action Shooting but am not very good at it; use my trusty Uberti/Armi reproductions of the S&W Model 3, my CZ Redhead over and under, and a Henry 30-30. Truth be told this combination is probably one of the worst possible; but all weapons I have a strong emotional attachment to.

But now days I spent more time making moving pictures of matches than competing in them.

tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 14:27   #57
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

All said & done, of-course you need a CZ P09 with 19-round magazines aboard as well as a compact slide action shotgun
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 14:39   #58

Boat: Formosa 41

I think it’s great that some people carry guns on their boats.

If the bad guys could count on every yacht being gun free I suspect we’d be targeted more often.

Thank you.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 14:59   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
A slingshot is handy for dealing with sea gulls and other pests. If you really wanna go big you can use a real sling, or even a shepherd's staff sling. While there is debate about which one David used fighting Goliath they have stood the test of time; if you develop the skill to use one.

Never tried three gun. I do mostly silhouette shooting, CZ 455 and Volquartsen Scorpion, or long range stuff with my TAC A1. Have tried Cowboy Action Shooting but am not very good at it; use my trusty Uberti/Armi reproductions of the S&W Model 3, my CZ Redhead over and under, and a Henry 30-30. Truth be told this combination is probably one of the worst possible; but all weapons I have a strong emotional attachment to.

But now days I spent more time making moving pictures of matches than competing in them.

Nice!

How do you like the tikka?

Ive been wanting to do some semi longs distance stuff, the JP 223 wylde is great for 300ish yards, I know I'm not going to be around the real estate to makes sense for 338, and I like sticking to economical and plentiful NATO rounds, been wanting a nice precision 308 for some competition stuff and also some classes I want to take that AR framed tikka seems nice, especially if I could find one with a few MOA on the rail.
Old 25-12-2019, 19:43   #60
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
Since CF has an explicit policy discouraging the discussion of firearms, I was astounded to see this gun-related advertisement imbeded in a CF thread.
See what you started here?