Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2019, 20:05   #61

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: gun ads on CF??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
Nice!

How do you like the tikka?

Ive been wanting to do some semi longs distance stuff, the JP 223 wylde is great for 300ish yards, I know I'm not going to be around the real estate to makes sense for 338, and I like sticking to economical and plentiful NATO rounds, been wanting a nice precision 308 for some competition stuff and also some classes I want to take that AR framed tikka seems nice, especially if I could find one with a few MOA on the rail.
The TAC A1 is out of the box ready to go. I took a bore laser and sighted it in in my living room aiming at the door knob maybe 25 feet away. Three shoot group at 100 yards to fine tune and I was sub 1 MOA after that. I agree the 308 is cheaper to shoot and the BC is great. The Creedmoor shoots flatter but you really have to reach out a lot for it to be an issue. Lots of aftermarket 20MOA rails and even scope bases. But for 300 yards or less you could get along without one.

The thing about the Tika TAC A1 is it is ready out of the box, just put on the optics and it is ready. Many other options require new furniture. But what sold me on the Tika was simply trying the bolt. If you have a chance go to a LGS and compare the Tika to the competition. Only thing I did to mine was put on an Athlon scope and a Hornady bolt ball on the bolt. I also did some work on the knobs on the scope. Plenty of youtube vids explain how to clean out the heavy grease and replace it with a light oil; the adjustments get much more positive and smoother. But both of those upgrades I would have done on any rifle I bought.

On the other hand I also use my CZ 455 with the .17 HMR action and barrel for semi long range work. I was really shocked at the BC of the .17HMR out to 300 yards. No question it is the rifle I have learned the most with. Still have to do calculations for 200 and 300 yards, but the great BC makes it reasonable. Not to mention the light recoil and egronomics make it easy to repeat good habits. All at ammo prices you can afford.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 20:08   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
All said & done, of-course you need a CZ P09 with 19-round magazines aboard as well as a compact slide action shotgun
As a Stargate SG1 fanboy I will stick with my Hershel FN P90. Hard to argue with a 50 round mag dump.

Old 25-12-2019, 20:38   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
See what you started here?
Not my intention!

I'd rather argue about climate change. It has more relevancy to cruising.
SailOar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 20:43   #64

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
I'd rather argue about climate change.
Now THAT says a lot!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 20:47   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Now THAT says a lot!
What does it say (to you)?
Old 25-12-2019, 20:50   #66

Quote:
What does it say (to you)?
That you must really dislike guns.
Old 25-12-2019, 20:53   #67

Quote:
That you must really dislike guns.
Your logic with regards to my interest in guns appears to be as suspect as your logic in regards to AGW.
Old 25-12-2019, 21:19   #68

Quote:
Your logic with regards to my interest in guns appears to be as suspect as your logic in regards to AGW.
As I recall you didn't like the way the arguments went with regard to AGW, so when you commented that discussing guns was even less preferable I assumed you must dislike guns even more. My logic seems sound but perhaps my assumption about your original complaint about a gun-related ad on CF was incorrect. If so, then I apologize. Maybe it's that you have no problem with guns but find the idea of citizen concealed carry objectionable? It's all good with me. Lots of people disagree with each other over AGW, guns, and concealed carry laws. It's just the way it is these days and seems pretty pointless to continue to argue about it. I'm good with whatever opinions you may happen to hold, whether I agree or not.
Old 25-12-2019, 21:54   #69

Quote:
As I recall you didn't like the way the arguments went with regard to AGW, so when you commented that discussing guns was even less preferable I assumed you must dislike guns even more. My logic seems sound but perhaps my assumption about your original complaint about a gun-related ad on CF was incorrect. If so, then I apologize.
Yes, a number of your assumptions were incorrect.

Apology accepted.
Quote:
Maybe it's that you have no problem with guns but find the idea of citizen concealed carry objectionable?
Again, you are incorrectly describing my feelings towards guns. However, I have little desire to expound on them in this forum.

In my OP I was merely expressing my surprise that there would be a gun- related ad on CF. The discussion in first few pages satisfactorily explained why that happened.

The subsequent discussions on guns is off-topic to my original query.
Quote:

It's all good with me. Lots of people disagree with each other over AGW, guns, and concealed carry laws. It's just the way it is these days and seems pretty pointless to continue to argue about it. I'm good with whatever opinions you may happen to hold, whether I agree or not.
Thank you.

I would also encourage you to be less quick in putting words or opinions into other people's mouth.
Old 25-12-2019, 23:00   #70

Quote:
SNIP

SNIP
You must be new around here.
Old 26-12-2019, 00:31   #71
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
I believe you can always request a mod to lock a thread.

I believe most of them will only actively enforce such bans when people are making arguments that management doesn't agree with.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 01:14   #72
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

As long as people can read to understand instead of reading to argue and respect different opinions, mods have an easy job and just cruise along.

It’s most often when people want to force their ideas upon others that things go downhill. It’s always when your type of boat is criticized or anchor, food, gun, reefing system etc.

This is why you must have a monohull, a Bruce or Mantus, whole food, CZ and slab reefing. Other options just won’t do

About the Tikka in 6.5 Creedmore: everybody buys that. We went for a Bergara in .308 and challenge y’all up to 800 yards (after a bit more practice )
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 03:58   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 06:56   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
SNIP

About the Tikka in 6.5 Creedmore: everybody buys that. We went for a Bergara in .308 and challenge y’all up to 800 yards (after a bit more practice )
A Bergara was my second choice. Hard to tell the difference between the action of a Tika and a Bergara. The LRPs compare well with the TAC A1; HRMs too. Biggest downside of a Tika is cost of mags; but they are really great mags and I got two in the box and a coupon for the free one that came in a week. Bergara mag options are a big plus for them. Tika does have a shorter bolt throw; and by some accounts a smoother action than the Bergara; but the shorter throw was easier to notice the difference for me. Out of the box accuracy is probably luck of the draw; but both will be sub MOA.

Up to 300 yards I still shoot my Tika 455 in .17 HMR. Way less recoil which helps me with trigger control muscle memory and flinching; and for some reason I don't understand breath control. Not to mention a huge difference in the cost of a trip to the range. Not saying I would pick it over the Creedmoor for anything but training. But truth be told I literally shoot thousands of rounds at paper and steel compared to every round I shoot hunting. Did I mention I can stop at Walmart and pick up .17 HMR rounds while I mostly have to wait for the Creedmoor stuff to be delivered from online shopping; sure you can get it at some LGSs but often at twice the price.

Have to say even with how easy and cheap it is to get to the range with the 455 I still don't get to put as many rounds down range as I should. I need more practice too.
Old 26-12-2019, 07:52   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I believe you can always request a mod to lock a thread.
I am not neccesarily opposed to threads going off-topic. I just don't want others to think that the off-topic portion was my intention.

With regards to this thread, I don't wish to discuss guns myself, but I'll leave it to the mods to decide whether or not to close it.

Quote:
I believe most of them will only actively enforce such bans when people are making arguments that management doesn't agree with.
My experience with the eventually-closed Climate Change threads suggests that those mods who think that AGW is a hoax are quicker to want to close a thread than those mods who think that AGW is a real and present danger. Nevertheless, most of the mods appear to let a thread run until they can justify closing the thread due to uncivil words being used.