Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2019, 10:17   #31

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: gun ads on CF??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
Out of all the adverts a site that makes draconian laws easier to understand, I’d think that would be cool with CF, not to mention how most gun and ammo taxes go into conservation, and freedom being a strong theme in sailors?
I think the explanations provided above are that CF has little if nothing to do with who's ads are rotated through the site, other than some of the sailing vendors who pay them directly to have a permanent presence (e.g. Ocean Planet).
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 10:56   #32

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I’m seeing ads for hearing aids and a new Corvette. The corvette sure does look sharp but no thanks.

Now give me an ad for a WW1 Erith Vickers and I’ll click it so fast the internet will be on fire.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 11:07   #33

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Personally, I find the ads for merchandise rather harmless, and the boaty ones occasionally useful since I'm always curious about the latest & greatest tech from places like Ocean Planet and the like.
I don't mind, and often seek out, CF supporting vendors when I'm looking to spend my boat bucks. I most especially appreciate the vendors who participate in the actual discussions here. But I have no interest in ads served up by Google, etc.

I know from past chats you are well versed in all this stuff Exile, but for the sake of the discussion let me say that ads, much like propaganda (of the kind you were also mentioning) can run the gamut of fairly benign to highly dangerous. But one thing is constant; there is always an intent to both inform AND manipulate.

In the past advertising and marketing was more scattershot. The Brave New World of the WWW, married with big data and constant surveillance now makes advertising far more effective. And by "effective" I mean far better at manipulating us.

There are those who claim advertising doesn't work on them. There is mountains of research to show this is naive and false. The only way to avoid the manipulation is to avoid exposure.
Old 24-12-2019, 11:24   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I don't mind, and often seek out, CF supporting vendors when I'm looking to spend my boat bucks. I most especially appreciate the vendors who participate in the actual discussions here. But I have no interest in ads served up by Google, etc.

I know from past discussion you are well versed in all this stuff Exile, but for the sake of the discussion let me say that ads, much like propaganda (of the kind you were also mentioning) can run the gamut of fairly benign to highly dangerous. But one thing is constant; there is always an intent to both inform AND manipulate.

In the past advertising and marketing was more scattershot. The Brave New World of the WWW, married with big data and constant surveillance now makes advertising far more effective. And by "effective" I mean far better at manipulating us.

There are those who claim advertising doesn't work on them. There is mountains of research to show this is naive and false. The only way to avoid the manipulation is to avoid exposure.
Totally agree Mike, and I wouldn't presume to believe myself nor anyone else is immune from manipulation. It may vary depending on the makeup of the target victim customer, but it clearly wouldn't be done if it wasn't effective on a broad scale. To that end I certainly understand why an increasing number of people are taking steps to block ads and maintain their privacy, and I may opt to do that at some point as well.

With the further development of algorithms I suspect we'll reach a point where every ad that we see is personalized. Pretty scary when you consider the consequences beyond the purely commercial realm as has been discussed in other threads. I don't hold out much hope for big tech cos. to restrain themselves, and am concerned that govt may wind up having to do it for them with all of the potentially negative consequences which may follow.

In the meantime, I'm now seeing ads for an Audi I would never buy, a watch which I haven't worn in years, and some furniture where you can conceal a handgun which I'd never use.
Old 24-12-2019, 11:32   #35

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
And 70% off for a backpack, and the usual boaty-related ones, and ... HA! ... one from a law firm (that Ranger probably sent ). Are you suffering from [insert disease/device defect]? "We can help."

Those with ad-blocker apps are clearly missing out.
"You might be entitled to compensation!"

But I didn't send it (that one), I swear!

-Chris
Old 24-12-2019, 11:35   #36

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
With the further development of algorithms I suspect we'll reach a point where every ad that we see is personalized. Pretty scary when you consider the consequences beyond the purely commercial realm as has been discussed in other threads.

I read an article last week or so about a recent study that suggests political ads on Facebook end up being targeted toward those most likely to want to hear a given message. So not only do people hear (translate, interpret) what they want to hear... they are also only served messages they want to hear anyway. Resulting in even broader polarization...

-Chris
Old 24-12-2019, 12:03   #37

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Totally agree Mike, and I wouldn't presume to believe myself nor anyone else is immune from manipulation. It may vary depending on the makeup of the target victim customer, but it clearly wouldn't be done if it wasn't effective on a broad scale. To that end I certainly understand why an increasing number of people are taking steps to block ads and maintain their privacy, and I may opt to do that at some point as well.

It's just interesting how often one hears people say, "advertising doesn't work on me." Or that privacy doesn't matter because, "I've got nothing to hide."

Quote:
With the further development of algorithms I suspect we'll reach a point where every ad that we see is personalized. Pretty scary when you consider the consequences beyond the purely commercial realm as has been discussed in other threads. I don't hold out much hope for big tech cos. to restrain themselves, and am concerned that govt may wind up having to do it for them with all of the potentially negative consequences which may follow.
Yup. We're pretty close to that already. The sci-fi flick where the person walking down the mall is being beckoned BY NAME, and with a unique offer, is really not far off.
Old 24-12-2019, 13:21   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

To me it's well worth the $15.01 p.a. to become a CF supporting member just so that I don't see all the ads.

A couple of Control panel options and all I get is one small "strip" ad across the top of the page.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 01:49   #39
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Geolocation tracking for outdoor advertising

https://www.consumerreports.org/priv...see-their-ads/
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 05:29   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: gun ads on CF??

Well apart from 7 anchor ads the only others are one from Thinkfinity, a Tech ad and another about Unlocking my Superbrain..
Reckon someones pissed I'm still a Bruce fan.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 05:41   #41
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

The algorithms are so dumb that they show gear that I already bought. And not even guns & ammo, just boring boat stuff
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 07:07   #42

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

The point of the ads is not that one purchase the 'product' advertised, but that one purchases the idea of profligate consumption.

And no, there's no great conspiracy, just regular dumb human (if not just life-in-general) nature at work.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 07:49   #43

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The algorithms are so dumb that they show gear that I already bought. And not even guns & ammo, just boring boat stuff
I have also noticed if I buy something I get a lot of ads about that product well after the purchase has been delivered. I got a new 360 camera several months ago. Recently I was searching for a water proof case and ND filters for it. I started getting tons of ads for the original camera. Since it was a top tier camera it was not likely I would be buying another one. On the other hand I would have liked to get other options for the water proof case and ND filters.

Same thing goes for what I will call poorly targeted things. I use Black Magic's Da Vinci Resolve to post process my vids. Switched over a few years ago from Adobe CS for what I consider valid reasons. But I still get lots of Adobe ads even though I have no intention for switching back. One of the biggest reasons is you have to pay a monthly fee every month for CS while Resolve is a straight up buy it and you own it. Since the switch I would have paid more in fees than it costs to buy Resolve. Not to mention some of the Resolve features I use a lot are not that well implemented in CS. In any case the AI generating ads seems unable to understand what is happening; and not just in my case, lots of other post processers have switched to Resolve for the same reasons I have.

As for ads for guns and ammo I still don't understand why the AI can't understand I would never buy a Glock (since I am a CZ fanboy) and I only shoot Creedmoor 6.5 on the long range course and would never consider 300 Win stuff. Same goes for plastic frames for pistols; I only own steel frames. Pistol whipping someone with a plastic frame simply does not get your message across.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 08:43   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
As for ads for guns and ammo I still don't understand why the AI can't understand I would never buy a Glock (since I am a CZ fanboy) and I only shoot Creedmoor 6.5 on the long range course and would never consider 300 Win stuff. Same goes for plastic frames for pistols; I only own steel frames. Pistol whipping someone with a plastic frame simply does not get your message across.
I strongly suspect it's because the AI designers have learned all of their gunny knowledge from video games. I mean, if they can't even figure out the obvious differences btwn long-distance calibers, or why steel-framed pistols are so obviously superior, then what good are they? That's it, I'm installing ad blockers.
Old 25-12-2019, 08:48   #45

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
I strongly suspect it's because the AI designers have learned all of their gunny knowledge from video games. I mean, if they can't even figure out the obvious differences btwn long-distance calibers, or why steel-framed pistols are so obviously superior, then what good are they? That's it, I'm installing ad blockers.
Whoa there!

Don’t be hating on the poly guns

There is a reason the G19 is such a highly regarded carry choice

That said I summer carry a small all metal, but winter carry a G19 sized polymer.
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote