Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2019, 08:21   #76

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: gun ads on CF??

I just keep getting chicks with d^^ks ads. I have no clue as to why. Honest.
Old 26-12-2019, 08:27   #77

Boat: Valiant 42

I finally looked at the so-called “gun ad”. It was not advertising guns for sale. It was a clever ad telling criminals where they would most likely find armed and unarmed citizens.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 09:34   #78

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Well that's reassuring.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 09:59   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I finally looked at the so-called “gun ad”. It was not advertising guns for sale. It was a clever ad telling criminals where they would most likely find armed and unarmed citizens.

... but perhaps not in the way intended
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 10:15   #80

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
That’s like saying people with no hair have less hair loss than people with lots of hair. Duh.....
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 10:19   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poche View Post
Too funny...I recover stuff at our Condo dumpster and it usually is from IKEA. I sell it on CL but I have kept some decent things over time.
You should hit the local college campus' when they leave for the summer, all sorts of good finds to be had.
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 17:14   #82

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I believe you can always request a mod to lock a thread.

I believe most of them will only actively enforce such bans when people are making arguments that management doesn't agree with.
Really? You believe the mods' criteria for closing a thread is content-based? I've never noticed this and would be very surprised if true. There are some well-known topics that often produce acrimony, which in turn produce complaints/reports to the mods, and then warnings and/or actions. Besides, how can you possibly know what "management" agrees or doesn't agree with on CF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
As long as people can read to understand instead of reading to argue and respect different opinions, mods have an easy job and just cruise along.

It’s most often when people want to force their ideas upon others that things go downhill. It’s always when your type of boat is criticized or anchor, food, gun, reefing system etc.

Exactly. And forcing their ideas on others usually entails being completely intolerant of the other person's ideas and opinions. That's where the trouble always starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post

My experience with the eventually-closed Climate Change threads suggests that those mods who think that AGW is a hoax are quicker to want to close a thread than those mods who think that AGW is a real and present danger. Nevertheless, most of the mods appear to let a thread run until they can justify closing the thread due to uncivil words being used.
Again, maybe you (and John61) are privy to more "behind-the-scenes" info than I am, but I'm not sure I've ever gotten an inkling of where any particular mod stands on CC or possibly any other controversial issue. In fact, in an effort to avoid such potential conflicts, their participation in such threads renders them ineligible to act as mods with respect to that particular thread. That's my understanding anyway, and it seems like a good policy. Even if there was some bias in play in closing a thread, the sheer length of the CC threads I think you're referring to belies suggestions that some mods may be quick to close based on personal opinion. So does their policy of never making it a unilateral decision, but one which is arrived at by consensus. Their tolerance may be limited now, but it seems like they've been exceptionally tolerant of CC threads which usually only have a marginal (if any) relationship to cruising (despite the thread title & OP's intent).

Well . . . no gunny-related ads on CF for me today, but we've got a vendor selling telescopes, Hampton Inn offering discounted room rates, and a supermarket chain offering "cash back on top brands." Good times . . . .
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 19:32   #83

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
SNIP

Well . . . no gunny-related ads on CF for me today, but we've got a vendor selling telescopes, Hampton Inn offering discounted room rates, and a supermarket chain offering "cash back on top brands." Good times . . . .

Anyone who has followed my posts in this thread has some idea of my thoughts. But I have never seen a gun related ad at CF; which some might view as a big fail for AI.

On the other hand I do see an ad inviting me to donate to the Salvation Army and another to some fantasy computer game with a hot babe with a big sword and armor that looks like a bikini. Definitely another AI fail.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 19:44   #84

Here's one that's a bit spooky . . . maybe. Earlier this evening I was reading another one of these CF "Best Bluewater Boat" threads (can't help myself). The last post mentioned a brand new model from Hallberg-Rassy called a 40C. Never heard of it and don't really follow the latest offerings when it comes to new cruising boats. Awhile later I clicked on YouTube and, lo & behold, under "Recommended" videos I see for the first time a YouTube for a HR 40C. Coincidence?? (looks like a nice boat, btw).
Old 26-12-2019, 19:50   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Anyone who has followed my posts in this thread has some idea of my thoughts. But I have never seen a gun related ad at CF; which some might view as a big fail for AI.

On the other hand I do see an ad inviting me to donate to the Salvation Army and another to some fantasy computer game with a hot babe with a big sword and armor that looks like a bikini. Definitely another AI fail.
Yeah, it sounds like not "targeting" you (pun intended) for gunny ads could definitely be deemed an AI fail. But are you sure about the hot bikini babe with the sword & armor? Not that I wanna make assumptions or anything . . . but are you sure that one was really an AI fail??
Old 26-12-2019, 20:55   #86

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Yeah, it sounds like not "targeting" you (pun intended) for gunny ads could definitely be deemed an AI fail. But are you sure about the hot bikini babe with the sword & armor? Not that I wanna make assumptions or anything . . . but are you sure that one was really an AI fail??
You may be right, my boat is definitely a babe magnet.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:15   #87

Boat: 43 Mikelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I don't mind, and often seek out, CF supporting vendors when I'm looking to spend my boat bucks. I most especially appreciate the vendors who participate in the actual discussions here. But I have no interest in ads served up by Google, etc.

I know from past chats you are well versed in all this stuff Exile, but for the sake of the discussion let me say that ads, much like propaganda (of the kind you were also mentioning) can run the gamut of fairly benign to highly dangerous. But one thing is constant; there is always an intent to both inform AND manipulate.

In the past advertising and marketing was more scattershot. The Brave New World of the WWW, married with big data and constant surveillance now makes advertising far more effective. And by "effective" I mean far better

There are those who claim advertising doesn't work on them. There is mountains of research to show this is naive and false. The only way to avoid the manipulation is to avoid exposure.
If you want to know what businesses and government learn from your phone, computer, etc ,
Watch Joe Rogan’s interview with Edward Snowden on You Tube.
We probably aren’t there yet but China uses the same data to decide who can buy train tickets, airplane tickets, hold government jobs, get entrance into college , have a passport, etc.
Business buy the tracking info to learn where you go, what you buy, what you look at etc.
Not that any of us are doing anything illegal 😱
But all that information never goes away. What ever you have typed into a Google search box any time in the past is a permanent record.
Rogans interview is probably an hour or more. Whether you think Snowden is a traitor or a hero it is interesting to see how it all works.
Painless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:36   #88

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

OK OK OK how I'm I not getting these adds of sexy golfers , howitzers and little blue pills , come on people share the love
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:09   #89

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painless View Post
If you want to know what businesses and government learn from your phone, computer, etc ,
Watch Joe Rogan’s interview with Edward Snowden on You Tube.
We probably aren’t there yet but China uses the same data to decide who can buy train tickets, airplane tickets, hold government jobs, get entrance into college , have a passport, etc.
Business buy the tracking info to learn where you go, what you buy, what you look at etc.
Not that any of us are doing anything illegal 😱
But all that information never goes away. What ever you have typed into a Google search box any time in the past is a permanent record.
Rogans interview is probably an hour or more. Whether you think Snowden is a traitor or a hero it is interesting to see how it all works.

I'm a big fan of Snowden, and well versed in his talks and writing. He's done more to lift the veil of government surveillance of their citizenship (of the so-called "Five Eyes" nations) than anyone in generations. He should get the Nobel Peace Prize.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:30   #90

It used to be said that you could judge a man by the company he kept. Nowadays you can judge him by the content that shows up unrequested on his screens (at least that's what the guys who develop the AI in the first place do).

Complaining about receiving inappropriate content is like returning from Vegas with an itchy groin rash asking everyone "hey, what do they have in the water in Vegas that gives itchy groin rashes?"

Half agreed about Snowden, but rather than a Nobel, the establishment of a new prize called the Snowden Prize, awarded in Brazil every year with a $1984 honorarium.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote