Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2017, 10:33   #361

Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Season 3 trailer is out for Alex!!

https://youtu.be/5AVoBSl9VtM
Ugly stuff for sure.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:38   #362

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvest View Post
Ugly stuff for sure.
It takes more than bikinis to make a great YouTube channel. Alex is a former pro video producer. His camera work and editing are some of the best you will see on a sailing channel. His dedication to refitting his boat and his dream of sailing around the world are inspiring. I no longer watch La Vagabonde as they have gone too Hollywood for my tastes. Give me a real story like Alex any day of the week.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Old 07-07-2017, 14:19   #363

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

Quote:
Originally Posted by willpower1 View Post
I still see no reason to fault any of these people for doing what they want and getting paid. I do feel the Vaga is starting out rough. Whereas Delos keeps on steady eddy producing an enjoyable product from far away places. I noticed on their web site they are in the middle of the atlantic right now headed to the west. I wonder where they are headed? I admit I am delos homer.
They are headed to the Caribbean. I would bet that they are interested in an ~ 70' expedition boat at the better prices found during the hurricane season. I think they are a smart group so I watch with great interest.

I also weary of scrolling past "ItsAllAboutMe" posts. More issues than the post office has stamps...
Old 07-07-2017, 16:59   #364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I think he means getting all upset about people doing something that doesn't really affect you at all and continually posting about it (while saying, of course, that you are not upset or bothered by it). That's not exactly 100 per cent normal behavior, you know.
Not upset. Us over here at Group10 enjoy examining human behavior. In fact, I called my mom today. She just turned 80. I asked her "What television shows are you now watching?" Then I told her to get out some stationery and stamps, and start sending $2.00 to each show. She said "That's odd behavior." I replied "Yes, I know, but all the kids are now doing it. Crazy, ain't it?"

By the way, "percent" is one word. "Per cent" means "per penny". Just thought I'd help you out.
Old 07-07-2017, 17:24   #365

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Not upset. Us over here at Group10 enjoy examining human behavior. In fact, I called my mom today. She just turned 80. I asked her "What television shows are you now watching?" Then I told her to get out some stationery and stamps, and start sending $2.00 to each show. She said "That's odd behavior." I replied "Yes, I know, but all the kids are now doing it. Crazy, ain't it?"

By the way, "percent" is one word. "Per cent" means "per penny". Just thought I'd help you out.
With the subscription she pays for the cable/satellite tv, and/or the ads that are played during the show? Why would she send money to shows that have already been funded?

As for Per cent, back on the mainland it is two words.
Old 07-07-2017, 20:02   #366

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
With the subscription she pays for the cable/satellite tv, and/or the ads that are played during the show? Why would she send money to shows that have already been funded?

As for Per cent, back on the mainland it is two words.
She has an old Zenith, with two antennas. She pays nothing.

By the way, the percentage of humans who now understand that America fixed the English language is rapidly closing in on 100. I wear boots, and my car has a trunk. Thank God the Mayflower set sail.
Old 08-07-2017, 14:51   #367

My wife an I have been watching Delos for a few months now...still not caught up! We started with La Vagabonde but the vibe changed with the videographer joining. But more so, the more experience Delos got it just simply way, way outpaced La Vagabonde in terms of videography, editing, and most importantly, storytelling. The story telling has gotten amazing. If you ever tried to write fiction, the experts say the #1 thing is not to tell the story but show the characters live the story. Read the comments on for example when Josje left the crew and everyone is saying they were sobbing as they watched...it was that emotional and well done. La Vaga, they way too often just sit there and talk to you. Delos goes out and shows it to you, and with care and emotion. When we started, we said we would NEVER give money to YouTubers. But seeing how much care and devotion Delos puts into each episode, we are compelled to give them some support. Their episodes I dare say are as expertly done as anything on mainstream television. Like others have said it is not all about sailing, but there is enough there for those who want that...but I think sailing alone can't make 100 interesting episodes...it has to be about maintaining the boat, the people, the places, the connections made, diving, etc. etc.
Old 08-07-2017, 15:25   #368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke95 View Post
My wife an I have been watching Delos for a few months now...still not caught up! We started with La Vagabonde but the vibe changed with the videographer joining. But more so, the more experience Delos got it just simply way, way outpaced La Vagabonde in terms of videography, editing, and most importantly, storytelling. The story telling has gotten amazing. If you ever tried to write fiction, the experts say the #1 thing is not to tell the story but show the characters live the story. Read the comments on for example when Josje left the crew and everyone is saying they were sobbing as they watched...it was that emotional and well done. La Vaga, they way too often just sit there and talk to you. Delos goes out and shows it to you, and with care and emotion. When we started, we said we would NEVER give money to YouTubers. But seeing how much care and devotion Delos puts into each episode, we are compelled to give them some support. Their episodes I dare say are as expertly done as anything on mainstream television. Like others have said it is not all about sailing, but there is enough there for those who want that...but I think sailing alone can't make 100 interesting episodes...it has to be about maintaining the boat, the people, the places, the connections made, diving, etc. etc.

Agreed....this is why I referred to them as the professionals of this genre. They work very hard on it but I think they find it satisfying and plan on careers in sailing with the next stop being excursions on a much larger boat with paying passengers. I think they will do well.

Bryan is a bit stiff, he is worried about "weirdness". His brother embraces a spot of weirdness which is generally entertaining.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:24   #369

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

Delos last episode (7-7-17) was pretty great. The dive scenes, saying good bye to a cew mate and fixing the starter connection were all well done. As said above, Delos makes you feel it.

Anyone comparing Sv Delos videos to home movies these days makes about as much sense as a flat earther.
Old 09-07-2017, 17:34   #370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahbrown View Post
Delos last episode (7-7-17) was pretty great. The dive scenes, saying good bye to a cew mate and fixing the starter connection were all well done. As said above, Delos makes you feel it.

Anyone comparing Sv Delos videos to home movies these days makes about as much sense as a flat earther.
I am somewhat surprised that "ItsAllAboutMe" has been permitted to spew his garbage at the level shown. Seems absolutely crazy. If we don't want to help out then we don't have to. Seems to be 75% driven by jealousy and 25% by some mysterious condition.

This is a sailing and liveaboard forum. Being able to view the experiences of others is simply fantastic. I also tend to trust the knowledge departed from them a bit more than from random internet persona's. There is great knowledge on the internet. Along with a fairly large amount of utter garbage. Some flock to the internet to fight and argue and spread fake data.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:25   #371

I can't believe this argument has gone on for this many pages...
Old 10-07-2017, 09:17   #372

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
I am somewhat surprised that "ItsAllAboutMe" has been permitted to spew his garbage at the level shown. Seems absolutely crazy. If we don't want to help out then we don't have to. Seems to be 75% driven by jealousy and 25% by some mysterious condition.

This is a sailing and liveaboard forum. Being able to view the experiences of others is simply fantastic. I also tend to trust the knowledge departed from them a bit more than from random internet persona's. There is great knowledge on the internet. Along with a fairly large amount of utter garbage. Some flock to the internet to fight and argue and spread fake data.
For the first time ever, I put someone one ignore. May I suggest you do the same? If everyone ignore that person, he will finally go away. Personally I am disappointed the mods continued to allow his baiting on this subject. I wasn't aware that attacks of that nature were allowed.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:31   #373

Quote:

Now let me see, "DownyFabricSoftener" joined this forum in April 2017, and started THIS THREAD, entitled "Youtube liveaboard stars?" Notice the word "star?" and the question mark? In "Post #1", the OP wrote "How did that young buck come up with the cash for that yacht and endless voyage anyway?"

Thus, some smart folks here, myself included, responded with our opinions. I did not assume that this was a thread about applauding people. Now the OP is upset? Did the OP merely wish to join this forum to start a thread applauding these people? Is the OP, or others here, maybe related?

Back on topic, a few posts back, someone here wrote that he and his wife now feel "compelled" to support (i.e., send money) to people with a $200K+ yacht and a $500K yearly Patreon income who sail around every day on vacation. When I read the word "compelled" I started laughing. Personally, I've never felt a compulsion to give my money to strangers on the Internet, or people on the street, especially those who are not poor.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:35   #374

Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
The sailing stars of youtube? I have settled on:

SVDelos: The real professionals of this genre. They probably work at least 40 hours a week on their internet brand. Mostly entertainment with some education thrown in here and there. Their two hour question and answer video is extremely educational. Very smart and conscientious couple. Excellent ambassadors for the sailing genre. Very concerned about the reefs and the oceans.
(I trimmed softdown's comment)

I'm a total fanboy for Delos and would like to see them start experimenting with a torqueedo (or similar non-gas > acid sheen > leeched coral) motor for their Ocean Craft dink.

Delos has such a podium to speak from and if you can make it in Nosy Hara ...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4032.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	151567
Old 10-07-2017, 12:14   #375

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
(I trimmed softdown's comment)

I'm a total fanboy for Delos and would like to see them start experimenting with a torqueedo (or similar non-gas > acid sheen > leeched coral) motor for their Ocean Craft dink.

Delos has such a podium to speak from and if you can make it in Nosy Hara ...
Attachment 151567

I translated Secondbase comments for you:

I chose to use someone elses post to further my personal agenda. Mostly cause I didn't want to take the time to make a reasonable, well thought out post for myself. But hey, I'm too cool to do that!!
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard