Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2017, 18:42   #346

Boat: Tanzer 22
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

PortCylde. You might not want to read this, I don't want you to get triggered

I've been watching sailing videos on YouTube for over a year now. And on Saturday I decided to sign up for Patreon for the first time. I'm now donating five dollars per video to Wicked Salty. They were the very first sailing blog that I ever saw on YouTube, and I've seen every video they have put out. I was inspired by their latest video, where they worked hard, saved their money, and paid cash for their boat. I am somewhat proud of them and felt like rewarding them for setting a goal and accomplishing that goal. They are living and pursing their dream and it's awesome to watch.
Old 05-07-2017, 18:51   #347

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
No. Just my opinion. However, and since you mentioned it, I come from the old school. Pre Internet. In those days, people supported people in need. That's it. UNICEF, Feed the Children, etc. Nothing wrong with that. The disabled. The homeless. The hungry. Whatever. Yet today, people seem to be nuts (again, my opinion).

Had a friend of mine approached me 30 years ago and said something like "Hey bro, I have a cool business idea. Let's take home movies every week, and then ask people -- in fact, strangers -- to pay us money for them. Cool idea, yes?"

I would have replied, and still would reply, "Are you nuts? Who would give money to strangers for home movies? Especially when the people making the movies are not homeless, and have plenty of money? Are you crazy? Nobody would do that."

Times have changed. Interesting. I'll keep my money in my pocket. That's just me.
I'm not sure I understand your stance on YouTube stars. Can you elaborate please?
Old 05-07-2017, 18:53   #348

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahTreat View Post

I've been watching sailing videos on YouTube for over a year now. And on Saturday I decided to sign up for Patreon for the first time. I'm now donating five dollars per video to Wicked Salty. They were the very first sailing blog that I ever saw on YouTube, and I've seen every video they have put out. I was inspired by their latest video, where they worked hard, saved their money, and paid cash for their boat. I am somewhat proud of them and felt like rewarding them for setting a goal and accomplishing that goal. They are living and pursing their dream and it's awesome to watch.
Hey man, that's cool. I'm never triggered. That's some new term that I don't understand. Like safe spaces, etc. Actually, I'm smiling. Especially on topics like this.

That aside, if you want to give strangers money, that's cool. Personally, I'll never understand it, but to each his/her own. Whatever. Maybe people want to feel like parents, helping their long-lost children ... who they will never see.
Maybe that's it. Who knows?

Thinking back to the old days, pre Internet, I enjoyed watching Gilligan's Island. Every week. So it would be like me calling up the local TV station and saying "Hey, I love Gilligan's Island. It's great. I cannot get enough. Please give me Bob Denver's home address, I'd like to send him $5.00. I'll give $5.00 to the skipper too."
Old 05-07-2017, 18:57   #349

Boat: Tanzer 22

Quote:
Hey man, that's cool. I'm never triggered. That's some new term that I don't understand. Like safe spaces, etc. Actually, I'm smiling. Especially on topics like this.

That aside, if you want to give strangers money, that's cool. Personally, I'll never understand it, but to each his/her own. Whatever. Maybe people want to feel like parents, helping their long-lost children ... who they will never see.

Thinking back to the old days, pre Internet, I enjoyed watching Gilligan's Island. Every week. So it would be like me calling up the local TV station and saying "Hey, I love Gilligan's Island. It's great. I cannot get enough. Please give me Bob Denver's home address, I'd like to send him $5.00. I'll give $5.00 to the skipper too."

I really want to respond to your comments but I'm not going to. You know what you are doing.
Old 05-07-2017, 20:20   #350

Quote:

I will say it. Trolling. Are so dense to think you were not paying for your Gilligans Island by watching commercials? Or just enjoying yourself being a troll. I get you don't support paying for YouTube. But you are being a derogatory troll using the term "home videos" .

Too bad you can't accept this new form of entertainment commerce. Too bad you have to be offensive.

Say good bye now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahTreat View Post

Old 05-07-2017, 20:27   #351
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Its really quite amazing. There are 1000's of different video series out there with people on Patreon asking for money. .
And those 1000's of different folks all send emails to vendors asking for free product in exchange for marketing. I get 1-2 emails like that per week. The 4th of July weekend was even busier...4 requests for a Free Water maker...
Old 05-07-2017, 21:00   #352
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Hey Rich....is it too late to ask for a discount?[emoji1]
Old 05-07-2017, 21:03   #353
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Old 05-07-2017, 23:03   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyman1122 View Post
I will say it. Trolling. Are so dense to think you were not paying for your Gilligans Island by watching commercials? Or just enjoying yourself being a troll. I get you don't support paying for YouTube. But you are being a derogatory troll using the term "home videos" .

Too bad you can't accept this new form of entertainment commerce. Too bad you have to be offensive.

Say good bye now.
It's cool, brother. I take no offense. Ask whatever you want, and state whatever you wish. That's what I've always done. I don't troll, except for when I'm fishing for mackerel. I find opinions to be very interesting, and often very informative.

As for Gilligan's Island, this is how it worked. First, the TV was purchased, brought home, plugged in, and turned on. Next, the channels were searched for Gilligan's Island. Once found, I sat back and watched TV. That was it. It cost NOTHING, except for the TV. It all came flying over the airwaves. No cable, just two antennas. Amazing. And here's the funny part, it's almost the same with the computer and the Internet. However, the Net has a monthly ISP charge, while YouTube does not. So be it. Again, just my experience, and opinions. Not trolling. If people wish to send other people money, that's cool. Have at it. Whatever.

It's interesting. I've been on the Net since '95. I never sent money to anyone. I first noticed YouTube around '06. Can't remember when, exactly. I do remember thinking "Oh, this is cool. A site where people upload videos." I never imagined that people would eventually start asking for money for uploading their videos. Which, no matter how you look at it, are personal home movies. That's not an insult, it's just actually what they are. People at home, or on a boat, or in a field, with a camera. That's it, and no, I will never pay. I also never payed for Gilligan's Island. Well, except for the TV.
Old 05-07-2017, 23:06   #355
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
It's cool, brother. I take no offense. Ask whatever you want, and state whatever you wish. That's what I've always done. I don't troll, except for when I'm fishing for mackerel. I find opinions to be very interesting, and often very informative.

As for Gilligan's Island, this is how it worked. First, the TV was purchased, brought home, plugged in, and turned on. Next, the channels were searched for Gilligan's Island. Once found, I sat back and watched TV. That was it. It cost NOTHING, except for the TV. It all came flying over the airwaves. No cable, just two antennas. Amazing. And here's the funny part, it's almost the same with the computer and the Internet. However, the Net has a monthly ISP charge, while YouTube does not. So be it. Again, just my experience, and opinions. Not trolling. If people wish to send other people money, that's cool. Have at it. Whatever.

It's interesting. I've been on the Net since '95. I never sent money to anyone. I first noticed YouTube around '96. Can't remember when, exactly. I do remember thinking "Oh, this is cool. A site where people upload videos." I never imagined that people would eventually start asking for money for uploading their videos. Which, no matter how you look at it, are personal home movies. That's not an insult, it's just actually what they are. People at home, or on a boat, or in a field, with a camera. That's it, and no, I will never pay. I also never payed for Gilligan's Island. Well, except for the TV.

Youtube was created by three ex-PayPal guys in....2005....

That's pretty consistent with your knowledge of modern business models, so....
Old 05-07-2017, 23:10   #356

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
Youtube was created by three ex-PayPal guys in....2005....

That's pretty consistent with your knowledge of modern business models, so....
I know. My mistake. I meant '06. Typing too quickly.
Old 05-07-2017, 23:51   #357

Old 06-07-2017, 05:42   #358

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
Good on them. They're making a product that people want to watch and there are some that want to help them continue so they can continue to watch. It's great that there's a choice to pay and not.

The ones I watch, SLV, Delos, Sailing Uma, WhiteSpotPirates, GonewiththeWynns, and a few others, are very clear about their beginnings and how they've funded it so there's no need to be so cynical and call out some imaginary con. It's simply not the case. If you don't like it, don't support it, everyone's happy. The continual harping on about some con and making up stories about people to support an argument is getting pretty old though. It's just jealousy, at the end of the day, despite the many contrary protestations.
Agree with that, Sailing Uma in particular is really quite amazing regarding their beginnings and the work they have put on their boat, especially considering that they both were total newbies to sailing, and took so radical decisions as going electric for their engine.

The ones I'm subscribed to right now (from memory) :

SLV (agree it's getting boring)
Delos
Uma
Ran
Jaeka (don't watch much)
And one or two others I don't remember.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:59   #359

Quote:
Hey man, that's cool. I'm never triggered. That's some new term that I don't understand. Like safe spaces, etc. "
I think he means getting all upset about people doing something that doesn't really affect you at all and continually posting about it (while saying, of course, that you are not upset or bothered by it). That's not exactly 100 per cent normal behavior, you know.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:18   #360

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Season 3 trailer is out for Alex!!

https://youtu.be/5AVoBSl9VtM

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard