Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2020, 08:05   #91
Registered User
 
Group9's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,664
Images: 10
Re: Substandard Housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
living aboard is fundamentally camping on the water regardless of size. It can be fun for a while but itís still camping
The tiny house movement is pretty interesting. You see a lot of younger people living in houses that are often similar in size to a lot of cruising boats.

It will be interesting to see if they can stick with it long term.
__________________
Founding member of the controversial Calypso rock band, Guns & Anchors!
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:27   #92
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Between Caribbean and Canada
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 6,780
Re: Substandard Housing

Oh, and my quarantine plan is pretty good! pffft!
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:41   #93
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 9,998
Re: Substandard Housing

Well, my view is that if you have fixed shelter, if you're not in real wilderness, and most especially if you travel other than via self-propelled means, then you ain't camping. But yes, that's my opinion.

I'm in no way demeaning RVing, or any other version of this kind of living. It's a great way to get around. Personally, I want to do more of it myself. Heck, I usually refer to my boat as an RV on the water. And just like most RVs, it has many of the standard luxuries as a land home; electricity, water, heat, fridge, lots of storage, a fixed roof, etc... All the luxuries of home.

This ain't camping.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:41   #94
Registered User
 
Woodland Hills's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Aboard
Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63í
Posts: 887
Re: Substandard Housing

Tiny houses are popular due to student loans. Once the debt gets paid off they can qualify for a mortgage and buy a full size home. Maybe by the time they are in their 40’s?

If your walls and roof are canvas you’re camping, if not you’re RVing.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:55   #95
Registered User
 
gamayun's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oakland, CA
Boat: Freedom 38
Posts: 2,331
Re: Substandard Housing

All the funny comments reminded me of dating my (now) ex-husband. One of the criteria that I'd had in a choosing a partner was that we had to get along within the confines of a tent. So I took him camping at my favorite spot. We got along alright but he was miserable and we never camped together again. He told me, "my idea of roughing it is not having room service." Seemed funny at the time. I've since read a lot about codependency
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:02   #96
Registered User
 
dwedeking2's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Location: Key West, FL
Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Posts: 867
Images: 1
Re: Substandard Housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Tiny houses are popular due to student loans. Once the debt gets paid off they can qualify for a mortgage and buy a full size home. Maybe by the time they are in their 40ís?

If your walls and roof are canvas youíre camping, if not youíre RVing.

I'm sure some of it is that. I also think there is a movement to get away from supporting a large debt load and spending life on experiencing it (vs purchasing items).



It's amazing when you get away from spending 50 - 60% of your paycheck on housing, food and debt management. All of sudden you have money to go and do things. When I lived on a dock my marina fees where 2/3 of the cost of an apartment in my "economically" expected price range. The savings paid for my boat after 18 months. Here in Key West a 1 bedroom apartment is 4x - 5x the cost of my mooring ball rent.



For now this leaves me a large chunk of $$ for boat projects. When my boat is finished I could work 1/2 the hours and still be comfortable. That's a big positive to the tiny/small house living (which I feel my lifestyle is a variation of).
__________________
S/V Pomaika'i Blog
dwedeking2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:15   #97
Registered User
 
Woodland Hills's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Aboard
Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63í
Posts: 887
Re: Substandard Housing

Regarding tiny houses: why not just buy a 2nd hand fifth wheel trailer? Cheaper, more amenities, more space with slide out walls. They also have air conditioning and hot water heaters. Never could figure that one out. Neither one is zoned for full time occupancy in most jurisdictions and both will need a septic hookup to be even marginally legal for part time occupation.

Living in a tiny or an RV is not too different from living full time on a boat. You need to find a way to legally deal with black water, you need to find a place to legally park/anchor and not every campground/marina allows liveaboards/permanent full timers.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:29   #98
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 9,998
Re: Substandard Housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Regarding tiny houses: why not just buy a 2nd hand fifth wheel trailer? Cheaper, more amenities, more space with slide out walls. They also have air conditioning and hot water heaters. Never could figure that one out. Neither one is zoned for full time occupancy in most jurisdictions and both will need a septic hookup to be even marginally legal for part time occupation.
I've been looking at the tiny home options, and have come to the same conclusions. I don't really see the point when there's so many better and cheaper RV choices out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Living in a tiny or an RV is not too different from living full time on a boat. You need to find a way to legally deal with black water, you need to find a place to legally park/anchor and not every campground/marina allows liveaboards/permanent full timers.
Exactly why I call our boat a floating RV. The similarities are many, except it's a lot easier to find a free place to anchor vs -- at least that's what it seems to me. Although I do know there are plenty of places in the American deserts, and even in the Canadian northern wilds, where it is possible to stay long periods in an RV.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:48   #99
Registered User
 
Woodland Hills's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Aboard
Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63í
Posts: 887
Re: Substandard Housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I've been looking at the tiny home options, and have come to the same conclusions. I don't really see the point when there's so many better and cheaper RV choices out there.



Exactly why I call our boat a floating RV. The similarities are many, except it's a lot easier to find a free place to anchor vs -- at least that's what it seems to me. Although I do know there are plenty of places in the American deserts, and even in the Canadian northern wilds, where it is possible to stay long periods in an RV.
I doubt there is anywhere in the American desert where you can dump your poop on the ground........ legally. But yes, there are places like Slab City where you can get away with it. If you are still mobile, you can drive to a dump station which is what the thousands who winter in Quartzite do.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:52   #100
rbk
Registered User
 
rbk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Canada
Boat: T37
Posts: 2,037
Re: Substandard Housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
I'm sure some of it is that. I also think there is a movement to get away from supporting a large debt load and spending life on experiencing it (vs purchasing items).



It's amazing when you get away from spending 50 - 60% of your paycheck on housing, food and debt management. All of sudden you have money to go and do things. When I lived on a dock my marina fees where 2/3 of the cost of an apartment in my "economically" expected price range. The savings paid for my boat after 18 months. Here in Key West a 1 bedroom apartment is 4x - 5x the cost of my mooring ball rent.



For now this leaves me a large chunk of $$ for boat projects. When my boat is finished I could work 1/2 the hours and still be comfortable. That's a big positive to the tiny/small house living (which I feel my lifestyle is a variation of).
While I agree with your statement I also find it odd that a generation so enamoured with saving the planet and reducing greenhouse gasses is gravitating towards a very inefficient housing model.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:06   #101
rbk
Registered User
 
rbk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Canada
Boat: T37
Posts: 2,037
Re: Substandard Housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Well, my view is that if you have fixed shelter, if you're not in real wilderness, and most especially if you travel other than via self-propelled means, then you ain't camping. But yes, that's my opinion.

I'm in no way demeaning RVing, or any other version of this kind of living. It's a great way to get around. Personally, I want to do more of it myself. Heck, I usually refer to my boat as an RV on the water. And just like most RVs, it has many of the standard luxuries as a land home; electricity, water, heat, fridge, lots of storage, a fixed roof, etc... All the luxuries of home.

This ain't camping.
Iím more or less with you Mike. I will be heading out in a few weeks time and most likely 2-3 more times before April if I can escape, where some friends and I will snowmobile 80-120km (50-75m) our into the wilderness just to make camp, military wall tent, with wood stove; Where we will spend a week or so hunting, sleeping on cocoa mats on the ground, cooking on an open fire and our living room will be outside and the fridge is the snow bank, all with an average temp in the -20íc (-5f) range. That to me is luxury camping, no freeze dried meals, a warm tent, access to chainsaws for large warm fires etc. Many consider that roughing it and some sort of crazy death wish.
We have a truck camper with all the same boat amenities and while I would call it truck camping we still spend the majority of our time outside around a fire, fishing, hiking etc. I know too many people with large travel trailers, 5th wheels/RVís that drag the family out to a campground only to sit inside the trailer watching movies on their 50Ē TV; thatís not camping. I think itís more attitude rather than what you use to camp. It is what you make it.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:21   #102
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 9,998
Re: Substandard Housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
I doubt there is anywhere in the American desert where you can dump your poop on the ground........ legally. But yes, there are places like Slab City where you can get away with it. If you are still mobile, you can drive to a dump station which is what the thousands who winter in Quartzite do.
Yeah ... poop is always the problem. My plan would be to use my composting head in any RV. Hard to fit one in a camper van though .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
I’m more or less with you Mike. ... I know too many people with large travel trailers, 5th wheels/RV’s that drag the family out to a campground only to sit inside the trailer watching movies on their 50” TV; that’s not camping. I think it’s more attitude rather than what you use to camp. It is what you make it.
Your snowmobile trip sounds like a great time.

And I agree. It's interesting to see the evolution of "camping." I guess it parallels the evolution of boating, but it seems even more extreme. These days you can get a fancy Class A bus that, with all the sliders and whatnot, turns out to have more floor space than any home I ever owned.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:39   #103
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,762
Re: Substandard Housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
And I agree. It's interesting to see the evolution of "camping." I guess it parallels the evolution of boating, but it seems even more extreme. These days you can get a fancy Class A bus that, with all the sliders and whatnot, turns out to have more floor space than any home I ever owned.

Exactly. RVs are fancy camping vehicles.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:07   #104
Registered User
 
Group9's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,664
Images: 10
Re: Substandard Housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Tiny houses are popular due to student loans.
That seems like a rather broad generalization.

Quote:
If your walls and roof are canvas you’re camping, if not you’re RVing.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/30/3e...4470e5bd6b.jpg

What would this be?
__________________
Founding member of the controversial Calypso rock band, Guns & Anchors!
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:09   #105
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 9,998
Re: Substandard Housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Exactly. RVs are fancy camping vehicles.

Fair enough...
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB Volvo MD7B Thermostat Housing Morning Glory Classifieds Archive 0 14-11-2009 23:08
bell housing mercruiser cutbrain Propellers & Drive Systems 0 29-03-2009 08:59
EDSON Instrument housing for sale fourgeau Classifieds Archive 0 13-10-2008 09:22

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:19.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.