Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2017, 15:15   #46

Boat: Tayana 58 DS
Re: Stacked washer/dryer takes 4 sq feet...worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
I'm a bucket and plunger guy. *grin*

I think there are two important things to reflect upon with onboard washer dryers:

Can you wash one full set of sheets, pillow cases, and towels in one load? If not, consider the time/energy implications.

The ventless units use an obscene amount of water. You are much better off with a vented model and figuring out how to keep water from getting into the boat through the vent. That isn't hard - just requires some thought.
We have a ventless combo washer/dryer -- as I recall it is an Indesit make, but I do not recall the model. It runs on 220/50. It will not work fully on 220/60 (It starts, then stops before spinning).

Unlike what you've found, Auspicious, the washer doesn't use much water at all, but the ventless dryer is useless. All it seems to do is heat the clothes. If it isn't raining, putting the (washed) clothes on the lifelines is a much better solution. As for washing -- it isn't as large as our commercial size machines at home, but it'll do a full set of sheets + a few clothes. It does require running the genset, so we try to plan loads for when we are charging the batteries and making water at the same time.

Depending on where you're cruising, and your style of cruising, using shore-side laundromats may be a better idea. We sometimes cruise with a dozen aboard, including 9 kids. I like not having to dedicate a day to laundry -- ferrying all the clothes to shore, waiting for the machines, etc.. If it were just the two of us and we were near civilization, I might not miss the washer. Also, in many ports there are laundry services for small money. Unless you know you need a washer, I'd go without and think about adding it later. As for the dryer, I'd say skip it.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 15:38   #47

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
Unlike what you've found, Auspicious, the washer doesn't use much water at all, but the ventless dryer is useless.
Correct. It is the ventless dryer that uses a lot of water. It uses the water to cool the exhaust air from the dryer and to attempt to capture the lint from the dryer. They don't work very well as you have experienced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
Depending on where you're cruising, and your style of cruising, using shore-side laundromats may be a better idea.
Which is why I'm a bucket and plunger guy. *grin* Of course I don't have nine kids.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 16:05   #48
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

These really work great, use a little hot water, just give it half a turn every few minuteshttps://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg
Key with a big family is making it a daily habit, kids can help, really very little effort, no electricity, takes little space (stow stuff inside too) very durable, low cost.

Amazed more Americans don't use them!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 17:56   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
These really work great, use a little hot water, just give it half a turn every few minuteshttps://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg
Key with a big family is making it a daily habit, kids can help, really very little effort, no electricity, takes little space (stow stuff inside too) very durable, low cost.

Amazed more Americans don't use them!
Yeah I thought about this machine but I like a little more comfort.... sort of throw it in, push the button and forget about it. There is no pump for draining

The big wet stuff is heavy and to get out a decent amount of water itīs a real effort.
I understand the spinning takes out most of the water. Itīs not totally dry but itīs not dripping anymore. After the spinning it should take considerable less time to dry with sun and wind.
Maybe good enough when itīs raining and cloths have to be left hanging somewhere down below for drying ?????
If they are too wet they will be dripping and there will be a mess on the wooden floor panels. I want to avoid that.

No electricity... that certainly is an advantage

But I plan on 400 amp Lithium bank with sufficient solar and high output alternator. This might not be enough for a Splendide together with all the other power hogs. This spin type machines have only an electric motor and a little pump.

Accomblice You write.....All it seems to do is heat the clothes. If it isn't raining, putting the (washed) clothes on the lifelines is a much better solution.
I come to the same conclusion and heating also takes a lot of power
I asume You are spinning to kind of semi dry before ????

You have to run the genset....Yes the Indesit is a real power hog but at least You have a bigger boat and the space. I have only two small double berths that are useless for my plans and there is no other decent space on the boat where I could hide a washing machine in an estetic way. So only solution is portable and top loading
I am in planning and I want to get by with only solar if possible. My second source is the high output alternator.
And a little Honda for emergency. I can fix it myself and get spares everywhere
I also have issues with the weight. Over loaded Cats donīt sail so well. Those machines only way around 30 Lbs
Old 26-06-2017, 18:19   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
Looks like the washer has a 3.2 cubic foot capacity. I would guess that is a medium load on a larger home washer.

I just did seven loads on a large home washer. Being an XL guy doesn't help any. Though cruisers tend to wear fairly brief clothing in comparison to someone in Colorado's second coldest region.
3.2 cubic feet is a little less than 18in x 18in x 18in.

I won't go into the details of our experience with an all-in-one-vented, but can suggest looking for spare parts availability and pricing for the model you may be looking at. Stuff like belts and control panels. Ask questions such as the possible vibration while operating off-level at 1000 + RPM. And finally would suggest a pan with drainage to an area with bilge pumps be installed under the appliance.

In summary, it's nothing we'd want, however best of luck with your laundry endeavors.
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 22:51   #51

Boat: Riva 48

This was discussed in another thread but here is the info for completeness. On a small sailboat, you want to use a dual bin machine because it saves water. You can wash and spin at the same time which saves time. One of the better washing machines is the Do Mini on Amazon, $119, 23" x 22" x 15". It has a 120W motor for spinning which means it takes about 10 amps @ 12V for a couple of minutes. Washing is a bit more. I would say you can do 5-7 loads in one hour for about 15-20 AH, which is reasonable without a genset. Note that you need a few other items on the boat: a water heater for hot water, typically using excess heat from the engine. A watermaker (otherwise it gets old very quickly).

On my 31 ft boat I keep the washing machine under the cutout portion of the v-berth. Nice and tidy. For small loads it is used right there. If it will be a bigger wash, I put the machine in the head and do all the washing there (you end up spilling some water when you move the clothes back and forth).

Does it work? For me it is a great addition: small loads, kids clothes, sheets, towels, pretty much everything. You do not need to accumulate stinky clothes in a corner of the boat for weeks at a time. Also, it is not wasted space as you the drums for storage (of stinky clothes).
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 23:35   #52

Pizzazz, this one ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	MINI.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	150766

The name is Mini but not a Do Mini ???? https://www.walmart.com/ip/8LB-Elect...Pump/106284954
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 01:40   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
This was discussed in another thread but here is the info for completeness. On a small sailboat, you want to use a dual bin machine because it saves water. You can wash and spin at the same time which saves time. One of the better washing machines is the Do Mini on Amazon, $119, 23" x 22" x 15". It has a 120W motor for spinning which means it takes about 10 amps @ 12V for a couple of minutes. Washing is a bit more. I would say you can do 5-7 loads in one hour for about 15-20 AH, which is reasonable without a genset. Note that you need a few other items on the boat: a water heater for hot water, typically using excess heat from the engine. A watermaker (otherwise it gets old very quickly).

On my 31 ft boat I keep the washing machine under the cutout portion of the v-berth. Nice and tidy. For small loads it is used right there. If it will be a bigger wash, I put the machine in the head and do all the washing there (you end up spilling some water when you move the clothes back and forth).

Does it work? For me it is a great addition: small loads, kids clothes, sheets, towels, pretty much everything. You do not need to accumulate stinky clothes in a corner of the boat for weeks at a time. Also, it is not wasted space as you the drums for storage (of stinky clothes).
Thx Pizzas, thatīs what I needed to know.... and another big item of my wish list.... 120W motor, thatīs a piece of cake. I am suprized with the location on Your boat. Thatīs really amazing.... and no more stinky cloth waiting for the laundromat. Of course the watermaker is a must.
Yes, those machines are a 100% winner

Thxs again
Old 27-06-2017, 05:39   #54

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

In my experience the electric dryer portion of a 110 v combo unit is pretty much useless. This was a non-vented unit (Combi). Have heard the vented versions are better, but air drying works just fine.

Would not cruise without a washer on board. Uses water but can run off the inverter with no problem. Never have to trek to a laundromat and I don't end up missing a favorite shirt or with someone else's size 60 underware. Both have happened when I dropped of laundry to be washed. Other issue is that in many countries (Mexico and Central America the detergent has a lot of lye in it which I guess is very hard on clothes.

Bought my current top loading Heir at Home Depot for little over 200 and it is still going stron diespite the standard salt water washdowns that happen on boats.

Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 08:15   #55

Boat: Riva 48

This is the one I have. I had to cut it up a bit to fit but it does not impact operation. One thing to keep in mind is that is has gravity drain. It is best to direct it to the shower sump then take it out of the boat. You do not want to let that water run through the bilge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170627_080206117~2.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	150783

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=i...prefix=do+mini

By the way, I had a Hair in that space before. It was a lot more work to make it fit, it only had a 100W motor and it used too much water so I got rid of it.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 08:44   #56

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

Big problem with watermakers is that a good one with decent production easily costs $5000 plus considerable work involved with installation. This is where a cat shines, it is usually easy to collect water from the deck of a cat.

Wish I knew if desalination r/o membranes differed from freshwater membranes. If not, one could pretty well make a desalination unit by adding an ~900psi pump and tubing to a nice, big r/o unit. Possible that the membrane housing would need enhanced strength to handle the very considerable pressure.

Everyone talks about the difficulty in carrying plenty of water and fuel. Then you folks like youtuber Sailing Emerald Steel who added 10,000 pounds of ballast to the keel of a 38' steel boat. But then....keep everything in balance on a boat takes a certain amount of engineering.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 09:21   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontide View Post
In my experience the electric dryer portion of a 110 v combo unit is pretty much useless. This was a non-vented unit (Combi). Have heard the vented versions are better, but air drying works just fine.

Would not cruise without a washer on board. Uses water but can run off the inverter with no problem. Never have to trek to a laundromat and I don't end up missing a favorite shirt or with someone else's size 60 underware. Both have happened when I dropped of laundry to be washed. Other issue is that in many countries (Mexico and Central America the detergent has a lot of lye in it which I guess is very hard on clothes.

Bought my current top loading Heir at Home Depot for little over 200 and it is still going stron diespite the standard salt water washdowns that happen on boats.

Bill
Hahaha seems the menu of the laundromats comes with certain spices.
I think that is a very reasonable price and effort for a nice element of comfort on board and it does not require a generator.
Now it even makes more sense to have a watermaker on board.
Good smelling sheets and good taste in the drinking water... thatīs a bliss

However those watermakers are still a nut to crack for me and I am not happy with the situation. Eighter they use a lot of energy and a genset is required or the little wonder needs to run a lot of hours to keep up with the demand. Of course there are the newer types with energy regeneration like the Spectra that is more efficient but the price tag is a scandal. I look at the the parts and the technology envolved and than 6-8000$ for the whole pack. I am surprized they donīt wanna charge me for just looking. Yes, and than all the obligating aftermarket business.That seems like a lot of abuse for the precious element to me and I am not willing to accept that reality without a little fight for my hard earned dollars.
470 Lagoon.. I am jealous. Thatīs awesome space for everything.
Easy 1000W solar and weight is not such much an issue anymore.
Hahaha lets see how I can squeeze it all in a 35 foot cat.....
Funny, by square feet I have more than plenty of space but I loose it with the extra 2 double berths that I donīt need and even an owners version wonīt change that.

Hahaha, someone elses size 60 underwear
My fears are more moderate.
I am happy if I donīt loose my pants))) Cheers
Old 27-06-2017, 09:55   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
This is the one I have. I had to cut it up a bit to fit but it does not impact operation. One thing to keep in mind is that is has gravity drain. It is best to direct it to the shower sump then take it out of the boat. You do not want to let that water run through the bilge.

Attachment 150783

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=i...prefix=do+mini

By the way, I had a Hair in that space before. It was a lot more work to make it fit, it only had a 100W motor and it used too much water so I got rid of it.
Looking Good.. I am sure the captain is happy
Thinking about it.... maybe also a heat gun can help a little
Yes, that water with the detergent sitting around will starts smelling bad.
Hahaha, I have seen some bilges that could uses a little active flush

I have checked a little and I think it pays off to have closer look at the details and specs to get best results.
Hahaha Yes, sometimes a hair makes all the difference
Thxs for the pic, Cheers
Old 27-06-2017, 10:57   #59
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

45 feet, four adults, $150? Good lord, go for it and if it is horrible, what have you lost?

You could probably hire a boat boy to go around taking in laundry and paying your way around the world that way.(G)

BTW, apparently some corporation (GE?) has come up with a new way to essentially use microwaves or ultrasound to "vibrate" the water molecules out, which they say will produce heatless driers in another couple of years. They'll still need a vent, but they are supposed to be incredibly more efficient, and of course electrically powered.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 11:14   #60

Boat: Island Packet 40

Be careful with US 220 volt washers and driers.

Years ago I was living in Spain and an American couple tried to wire their US sourced 220V drier and washer into the Spanish 240V supply, it kept kicking out the protective breaker in the apartment supply panel. We found that the appliances contained both 110 and 220 volt components and the three pin plug was wired with 2 110 volt lives and a neutral. The Spanish system also has 3 pin plugs however these include a 240 volt live, a neutral and an earth.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote