Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2017, 16:59   #31

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'
Re: Stacked washer/dryer takes 4 sq feet...worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
That depends entirely on how big a load can be washed.
Looks like the washer has a 3.2 cubic foot capacity. I would guess that is a medium load on a larger home washer.

I just did seven loads on a large home washer. Being an XL guy doesn't help any. Though cruisers tend to wear fairly brief clothing in comparison to someone in Colorado's second coldest region.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 17:28   #32

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Are you planning to do your circumnavigations on a 26' S2? That will be interesting trying to get a stacked washer/dryer on one of those.

240 volts 3 phase as used in the U.S. is not at all the 220v or 230v single phase used in the rest of the world.
Dockhead, please don't give anymore electrical advice, your advice is dangerous.
220-240v 60Hz in the USA is single phase. 3 phase is 408v.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 18:13   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrj33 View Post
Dockhead, please don't give anymore electrical advice, your advice is dangerous.
He did later acknowledge the mistake. At least he is not intentionally spreading misinformation from appearances.
Old 25-06-2017, 18:23   #34

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Space, water and power hogs. Many of us could handle this in port but why bother? Laundromats are a common marina feature. Might work on a big cat or power boat I suspect using laundromats is not only easier but cheaper.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 19:02   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Space, water and power hogs. Many of us could handle this in port but why bother? Laundromats are a common marina feature. Might work on a big cat or power boat I suspect using laundromats is not only easier but cheaper.
Laundromats can be hard to find in many parts of the world. Many cruisers seek to avoid the marina scene like backpackers avoid the city scene.
Old 25-06-2017, 20:04   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
So.........much smaller washer/dryers are widely available.

Perhaps I should make a new thread asking this question:

"On a 45' boat with four adults, would you allocate 4 sq feet to a 220 volt washer/dryer if you got one for $150?" The boat is used for world cruising and is very rarely taken into marinas.

I am thinking the allocation of 4 sq feet suddenly doesn't look so foolhardy in this scenario.
Once more, you don't have "square feet" on a 40 something foot sailboat - you have bits and pieces of available volume which are constrained by height as well as length and width. You simply won't get an apartment style stack unit on any sailboat below 60 feet I've ever seen. You should buy the boat first, before you start buying that kind of gear.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 20:15   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrj33 View Post
The essence of what I said is that U.S. split phase 220v is not compatible with rest of the world 220-230v, and that is true, useful to the OP, and certainly not "dangerous".
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 26-06-2017, 06:10   #38

Planning to return the washer/dryer combo at this time. Should be able to get by with something much smaller.

Last week I was also thinking 53'....which has a lot more room than 45'.

Heckuva nice unit...shows almost no signs of use.
Old 26-06-2017, 10:15   #39

Boat: Leopard 40

We have a Panda washer/dryer. It doesn't get clothes totally dry, but less than 30 minutes on the lines gets everything dry. It's 32 lbs, 110v, and doesn't take much energy or water. It will do a set of queen size sheets at a time.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 10:37   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
We have a Panda washer/dryer. It doesn't get clothes totally dry, but less than 30 minutes on the lines gets everything dry. It's 32 lbs, 110v, and doesn't take much energy or water. It will do a set of queen size sheets at a time.

Maje
....and sailboats have built in clotheslines. Plus a lot less wear and tear on the clothes. All that lint is your clothes...
Old 26-06-2017, 10:46   #41

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
....and sailboats have built in clotheslines. Plus a lot less wear and tear on the clothes. All that lint is your clothes...
Exactly. That's the reason we don't have a dryer, except the sun.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 10:56   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Exactly. That's the reason we don't have a dryer, except the sun.

Maje
The "sun"? What is that again? Think I heard about that somewhere . . .

In these latitudes (I'm above 60N at present), a dryer is a Godsend, more important than the washer.

YMMV
Old 26-06-2017, 13:31   #43

Quote:

Maje
Hi Maje and thanks....seems You have the type of machine I think of. I just wanna help my girlfriend and we will not have space available for a Splendide.
The guys here donīt get
Itīs not only the space for the machine. With a front loader You also need the space to open the machine and with 145 LBS this machine is too heavy to carry around on a small boat.
With a front loading machine like a Splendide that also requieres all the headaches of a fixed installation...plumbing, freshwater,greywater, electricity, and venting.... yeah and maintaining.....$$$$$
With boats under 45 feet this is a real challenge....Yeah and a big headache.

Of course we go to marinas and there is a laundromat but I donīt want to have to go to a marina because my sheets are dirty and the berth is smelling like a fish can.
They say the laundromat is cheaper. Yeah look at this thread and all the tech mambo jambo.... NO WONDER the laundromat is cheaper

Yeah, but now comes the other part the BOYS donīt wanna talk about
So the only other choice would be hand washing

I like the practical approach of those machines and I see a lot of easy solutions for the mentioned problems
But most of all it opens up the door for many cruisers to have a washing machine on board. It cost only some 100-200 $ and life will get so much sweeter on board.
After all carrying the dirty laundery to the marina and sitting in front of the stupid machine is also a job.
With a washing machine on board there will be always fresh cloth and clean sheets. It does not cost a lot of money and work. I think maybe with 2-3 loads a week the issue is resolved.... ainīt that sweet compared to handwashing

The Panda washer spinner looks perfectly fine for me. It has all the important functions of a washing machine and the final drying after spinning seems not a real problem to me
I am no expert and I also donīt pretent to be an expert. I donīt like to hear about washing cloths and sheets but somebody on board has to take care of the problem because....
I LOVE GOOD SMELLING SHEETS
Mmmm Yeah.... AND MY GIRLFRIEND TOO

Maje, please tell me. Do You stash the machine away in a remote place when You donīt use it. I think 32 Lbs is not a big problem. I think also the dirty laundery can be stashed away there till laundery day. It wonīt smell for only a few days.
A set of queens size sheets at the time. That sounds reasonable to me.
Of course You might like more capacity but living on a boat requieres compromises.
I though I ask the ladies.....I am sure You prefere this machine instead of washing by hand and listening to the tech mambo jambo about Splendides of the boys....am I right ?

We plan on a small cat and everything so far is very sweet and cosy on board but the dirty cloths and sheets are still a problem and we thought that is a valid solution. Yeah 2 extra berths on a Catamaran. We canīt change it and by design there is no choice for that space or I have to do mayor boat works that I donīt want. We were thinking of buying an owners version like Lagoon 380 but even here itīs the same problem. On a monohull itīs different but even there is not really a space for it. With a center cockpit again I have a berth I donīt need. We are just a cruising couple trying to have as much living space posible and using the space as efficient as posible without mayor changes to the boat.... and to live comfortable and that requires a view things we donīt want to miss.
We donīt need a 3 bedroom flat.... only a sweet and cosy nest. We want to have a nice space to attend our guests and when it happens that somebody stays for the night than we will change the saloon area wich has more than plenty of space.

Maje, I would very be greatful if You could tell me a little how You handle the machine....
Are You washing on deck or down below ?
What are You doing when You are obligated to use the capacity of the greywater tank ?
Is it legal to dump the dirty water overboard if certain ECO detergents are used ?
Do You have a special installation or do You just use portable hoses and extension cords?
With the 110 volts I guess it needs a little tought...at least a special fuse protection.. What are You using ???
Another thing I worry a little... we use an inverter and when the machine cranks it needs more inverter capacity.
Do You also use an inverter or do You have a generator on board ?
We only plan on a little Honda Gen for emergency. We donīt like the noise of a generator.

Yes sorry, I did not want to bother You with the tech stuff, but there are a few things to consider.....
Unfortunatly till now I can not find answers in this thread....???
Hahaha Yeah, the boys are so busy talking about the toys.

Have a good day..Thxs
Old 26-06-2017, 14:06   #44

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Perhaps I should make a new thread asking this question:

"On a 45' boat with four adults, would you allocate 4 sq feet to a 220 volt washer/dryer if you got one for $150?" The boat is used for world cruising and is very rarely taken into marinas.

Do you actually have this boat yet?

If not, it may be better to postpone the physical size and voltage/Hertz choices until you know what the boat's happiest (easiest) with...

-Chris

-Chris
Old 26-06-2017, 14:58   #45

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

I see that nobody has offered the obvious solution:

Stay in the tropics and wear fewer clothes.

I mean, how long does it take to wash a speedo or a thong?
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote