Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2008, 20:24   #1

Boat: Beneteau 473
Washer dryer Combos

I found this washer/dryer combo online. The price seems very reasonable and specs are appealing.

Less than $1300 Lots of stainless, small in size, supposedly made to handle the salt air(as if anything really is) and it doesn't require a vent.

Does anyone have knowledge of this machine, or company?

Washer/dryer combinations and portable washing machine features

Thanks
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 20:59   #2

Boat: islandpacket
I hear they work. The problem I was told about is you ca wash more tha you could dry. That for it to work well you eed to wash small loads.
Old 09-11-2008, 22:07   #3

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
I hear they work. The problem I was told about is you ca wash more tha you could dry. That for it to work well you eed to wash small loads.

We wash and hang dry. That seems to work great in the caribbean. No need to use the dryer

Also the one linked above is very heavy coming in at 180lbs. You can find them at around 150lbs and for a boat the extra 30lbs is meaningful.
Old 09-11-2008, 22:37   #4

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
I have the Splendid model sold by WM ( the larger one Over 3 cu. ft.) outside vented and it works great. They have both outside vented and none vented the outside vented, actually dry quite well, as the non vented take a long time to dry. I use a none vented type in the middle east washes ok but doesn't dry very quickly. The non vented use an evaporating water spray to dry the clothes while the vented use a heating blower much as standard dryer. So the non vented use more water and the vented use higher amperage over a shorter period of time.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:08   #5

Thanks everybody

The Splendid looks like a comparable machine on paper. Slightly Less weight, most everything else equal.

I'll let my wife decide for her birthday or our anniversary. I was going to get her a toaster or a vacuum but this should really get her excited!
Old 10-11-2008, 05:06   #6

Boat: S/V Pooka Com-Pac 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentOption View Post
I'll let my wife decide for her birthday or our anniversary. I was going to get her a toaster or a vacuum but this should really get her excited!
Now that's funny!
Old 10-11-2008, 05:20   #7

We aren't permanently sailing yet so I have to find other ways to cheer myself up,like joking on my wife. Although, she thinks the washer dryer idea is great. It was thumbs down however to the young, over endowed maiden to clean, cook and use her body to hold down a towel on the foredeck while we are underway.

That would have been great! And so useful. There's nothing like another set of hands on deck when they are attached to a happy female.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:18   #8

Quote:
It was thumbs down however to the young, over endowed maiden to clean, cook and use her body to hold down a towel on the foredeck while we are underway.

That would have been great! And so useful. There's nothing like another set of hands on deck when they are attached to a happy female.
Women are really funny about things like that. Go figure.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:35   #9

One of the few good things about getting it from WM is the no hassle warranty.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:54   #10
GreatKetch

A quick review of the Thor website doesn't show me the data I'd really want to see to compare it to the Splendide... things like actual power and water usage.

I have a Splendide and have been really happy with it. The US distributer of the Splendide is also First Rate on part and service help, not an insignificant consideration.
Old 12-11-2008, 17:31   #11
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
Bill - Just curious - why in the world would anyone want a washer/dryer on board a boat? WE just tote the stuff ashore, run it through a laundramat and dry it on deck - or for a few centws more have them dry and fold it! Once per week is plenty. Quick, cheap and simple .... and it doesn't require any precious water. Then again, we live on the hook ALL the time and have to either buy or make water. Guess it makes a difference if you are in a marina - but then, if you're in a marina, why not just tote it ashore and be done with it? Can buy a lot of quarters for the machines for what that w/d combo will cost!
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 20:18   #12

When you are away from civilization for several weeks at a time, as we are on the west coast of Canada, not too many laundramats available and clothes does not dry too well in west coast weather, that washer/dryer becomes like a god on the boat. We usually run the genset three to four hours a day. During that time we run the chargers, use the electric stove or oven, run the watermaker to top the tank, and wash a load of clothes. This can be at anchor or on the move, under sail or motoring. When we are in a marina we find it very convenient not to have to haul clothes to the laundramat.
Old 12-11-2008, 21:17   #13

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Four most important features on a boat washer dryer for me:

weight
water conservation
size (small)
Very high RPM spin cycle-clothes come out almost dry after spinning.
Old 12-11-2008, 23:31   #14

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller View Post
Now that's funny!
This thread should be placed in a "no admirals" category. Some of us consider the toaster a luxury.
theonecalledtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 00:14   #15

Some of this also has to do with age and changing comfort level. When I was much younger on some very different boats, anything beyond the essential propulsion system, a compass, some charts and a cooler with provisions was considered luxury. Now I enjoy having a vessel that I can sail or motor without getting out of the cabin and all the bells and whistles I can have on it. At this time in my life (which is getting up there) I like having a bowthruster, a watermaker, upright fridge, a genset, autopilot, chartplotter, radar, roller reefing/furling mainand jib,microwave oven,washer/dryer,electric stove, tracking TV satelite system, computers and cellphones. It means I can still get out there and enjoy the comfort I have earned rather than having to stay on land in a rocking chair waiting for the end. Without some of these life aiding ammenities many of us in the senior generation would not be able to get out on the water for any lenght of time. Besides the Admiral would probably vetoed another boat if it didn't have all that stuff.LOL