Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2017, 03:44   #76

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Stacked washer/dryer takes 4 sq feet...worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
And what do you do with the used and chemicals loaded water ?????

b.
Recycle back into the sea, of course, with the rest of the gray water.

Same as we do on land. Nothing in the waste treatment process on land does anything significant to washing machine waste.

Since phosphates in traditional washing machine powder are actually really harmful to the sea, much more so than human waste, don't use them either on land or on the boat.

I use Ecover detergent and softener (on land, too). No phosphates; all plant based formulation. Formulated to biodegrade quickly and completely.

Do you use Fairly liquid, or something similar to wash dishes? This is also harmful -- EU regulations for biodegradability only require biodegradation in some very long period (a year IIRC). I also use Ecover washing up liquid.

In Salcombe harbor, which is actually a ria, entered by going through a gap between high bluffs, the harbormaster comes to greet you with a welcome package including a small bottle of ecological washing up liquid -- so that you don't dump Fairly liquid into that beautiful estuary.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:22   #77

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Recycle back into the sea, of course, with the rest of the gray water.

(...)
No. Not funny.

The city sewer goes offshore about 4 miles.

My neighour's water from his dishwasher and his washing machine goes overboard just under my nose.

You may be right about the total print for the planet being about the same. But it does matter too where the print is done.

I'd rather not live in a marina full of sewage. And this is what our marina turns into every time the ARC and otherwise fleet visits us. Boats from 'developed' countries like (no names, self censored) and their rich owners not making any effort to walk to the shore toilets, showers, nor interested in using our shoreside launderettes.

Too bad cruising is like any other mass tourism. Too bad.

love,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 14:06   #78

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Hmm.

Here if been thinking that with a composting toilet you'd not need a holding tank. But if you're not going to dump washing water when in harbor you'd still need tankage for gray water.

But I don't think I'd ever heard mention of holding tanks for gray water.

Is it usual?
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:55   #79

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
No. Not funny.

The city sewer goes offshore about 4 miles.

My neighour's water from his dishwasher and his washing machine goes overboard just under my nose.

You may be right about the total print for the planet being about the same. But it does matter too where the print is done.

I'd rather not live in a marina full of sewage. And this is what our marina turns into every time the ARC and otherwise fleet visits us. Boats from 'developed' countries like (no names, self censored) and their rich owners not making any effort to walk to the shore toilets, showers, nor interested in using our shoreside launderettes.

Too bad cruising is like any other mass tourism. Too bad.

love,
b.
So -- what are you suggesting? No gray water overboard?

There's nothing inherently different about washing machine discharge, than discharge from washing clothes in a bucket, or from washing dishes in the sink, or taking a shower. Dishwasher uses less detergent and less water than hand washing, so you should thank your neighbor for using it rather than hand washing. My next boat will definitely have a dishwasher.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 14:09   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
So -- what are you suggesting? No gray water overboard?

There's nothing inherently different about washing machine discharge, than discharge from washing clothes in a bucket, or from washing dishes in the sink, or taking a shower. Dishwasher uses less detergent and less water than hand washing, so you should thank your neighbor for using it rather than hand washing. My next boat will definitely have a dishwasher.
I prefere to live in a polluted marina before in a polluted city.
I also found in some cases when a marina is polluted the city it belongs to is even worse.
I agree there are certain events that might not be fun for some neighbours and there are also always black sheeps but in those cases there are also some that make a lot of profits of the boaters. Maybe they should dedicate some of this money to better attend their visitors. After all I prefere my own clean toilet before I use a stinky and dirty toilet of the marina. The laundromat is also not much fun.
And when it comes to the water treatment of greywater of those marinas I also have my doubts.

Too bad I don´t have the money and the space
I also want a dishwasher
Again I am disappointed)) Like every year)) I wrote it on my wish list.
Well, maybe one of those days I get a money printer for Christmas.

But while I am waiting I wanna have my boat.
And if the captain thinks I should wash the dishes?
I don´t care as long as there is enough booz on board