Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2017, 09:52   #16

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'
Re: Stacked washer/dryer takes 4 sq feet...worth it?

Those Haeir units come pretty darned small. Hmmm.

On another note, my L14-30P plug needs to be an L14-30R plug for my genset. They make so many different 220 volt plugs that it gets a bit irritating.

Kind of torn about returning the combo washer/dryer unit now. It would be great with a crew. Not at all sure how often I will "entertain" a crew.

If I wait for the last moment, one can count on paying full price as well as possible delivery problems.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 10:01   #17

Boat: lancer 36

for laundering my shorts and t shirts???? i think not.
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 10:47   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
I used to sell single phase and three phase commercial yogurt machines. There is more to it than this. Three phase requires an electrician to install. Even in a commercial restaurant.

Though it is likely that their 220 volt differs from our "two legs from 110" 220. I think much of Europe uses about 170 volts AC. Using the same structure as our 110 on a higher voltage level. Better in so many ways...

I need to study this a bit though my goal is to avoid land services as much as possible. In my mind, a cruiser using land services is akin to a backpacker using city services. Though a well equipped backpacker is....well equipped.

EDIT: We are 60 cycle while much of the world is 50 cycle. Transformers are probably a requirement for lengthy cruising.
Yes, sorry, our 220 is "split phase" -- I misspoke. But in any case, our 220v is not compatible with theirs. The rest of the world with few exceptions uses 220 or 230 volts (not 170), single phase. Their other voltage is 370 or 380 volts -- three phase.

Yes, it's better in every possible way, except that 50 cycles is apparently a dangerous frequency for the human heart.

There are a number of threads on here about how to deal with different voltages while cruising in different countries. There are different ways to deal with it.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 10:48   #19

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

Quote:
Learn something new all the time. How much, approx, do these "dual duty" washer/dryer units costs?
They are in the $1000 range new for the cheapest ones, $2000 for the best. I picked up 2 with minor problems for $100-$200 on eBay.

The problems with mine are with the control circuits, Basically I want and will modify them to have a wash cycle, a spin cycle and a dry cycle, not all the fancy stuff. The difference between wash and rinse is the addition of soap.

I still use the bucket and plunger and hand wringing for most of laundry, while here at the dock, the big stuff, blankets, sheets, etc. goes through the washer.

My hand towel (and sometimes underwear) normally gets clean when I take a shower, use it as a washcloth, then wring it out and dry repeatedly.
Old 25-06-2017, 11:22   #20

Boat: Pearson 530

We got the washer and dryer with the boat. We use the dryer on rainy days when you're soaked to the bone and have to run the generator for the evening charge. That warm sweatshirt can sooth those sore muscles enough to get another can of beer. The washer we used once and decided too much water went overboard.

All U Get
Old 25-06-2017, 11:57   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstano View Post
We got the washer and dryer with the boat. We use the dryer on rainy days when you're soaked to the bone and have to run the generator for the evening charge. That warm sweatshirt can sooth those sore muscles enough to get another can of beer. The washer we used once and decided too much water went overboard.

All U Get
Desalinators/watermakers are ridiculously expensive and tend to have problems. I think it is the 800 psi pumps and tubing that drive up the costs so much.

Youtuber SailingEmeraldSteel is an extremely handy and genuine couple. He built a reliable 40 gallon/hour unit for $2300. Others pay twice that for half the productivity and are beset with frustrating and expensive problems.

I used to sell and install reverse osmosis units. The principle is the same with desalination. The main difference is the ultra high pressure pump. The membrane would be pretty similar though quite possibly different to block out tiny sodium/salt particles.

Water and energy conservation are pretty dominating factors in the cruisers life. Plus obtaining food and fuel.
Old 25-06-2017, 12:03   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Yes, sorry, our 220 is "split phase" -- I misspoke. But in any case, our 220v is not compatible with theirs. The rest of the world with few exceptions uses 220 or 230 volts (not 170), single phase. Their other voltage is 370 or 380 volts -- three phase.

Yes, it's better in every possible way, except that 50 cycles is apparently a dangerous frequency for the human heart.

There are a number of threads on here about how to deal with different voltages while cruising in different countries. There are different ways to deal with it.
Have not heard about 50 cycles being dangerous to the heart. I've been mildly shocked dozens of times. I work with saltwater and am constantly unplugging and plugging in electrical stuff. Being shocked is really over rated by my estimation. People that work with electricity have always been shocked plenty if they are being honest.

You have common mild shocks and you have shocks that are scary and make you scream. I wonder if more people die from the 50 cycle shocks.
Old 25-06-2017, 12:24   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbogie View Post
for laundering my shorts and t shirts???? i think not.
Mmm Yeah, fresh wind dryed and good smelling clothes and blankets are a real bliss.
However since my plans are for a smaller boat my issue is not so much with the cubic feet only. So the other day I saw those new to me plastic washing machines. Till now I was only familiar with machines like the Splendide. What I like most about those type of machines is the weight of around 25 Lbs. wich makes them portable and very easy to move around on the boat. Since even on small cats like a Gemini there is a lot of unused space with 2 extra lousy berths that I donīt need because we are a cruising couple and we plan to live full time aboard I liked the idea. Also in case of a small Cat those machines wonīt affect the balance of the boat wich is always an issue. What I also like is that with a price tag of around 100-200$ itīs a dirt cheap solution and thinking about the agressive enviroment of the ocean, I think the light weight plastic machines will stand up a lot better than the 1000$ SS luxory models. There is no dryer and only a spinner but the clothes come out perfect to be dryed in the sun and the wind. Since there is only an electric motor, a pump and a few switches.... I believe, itīs not a big hassle to keep the sweet baby in shape ŋ?ŋ?ŋ(>‿◠)
Yeah, she draws a little power but with aprox 15 minute cycles I think a 400 amp lithium bank with sufficient solar power should be able to handle the little beast even when itīs cloudy a few days. Of course there is also the issue with the water but I believe with a decent size watermaker this will not be a mayor issue. After all we are just 2 persons.
Hahaha, however if we get a lotīs of guests with dirty cloth than we might have to recalculate the idea.
So here is a little Ytube video with an 2017 overview of the supposedly best alternatives, ideas and solutions for the problems.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...e+Washers+2017

and for the ladies here is an expert video on how those little wonders work step by step. Yeah, very boring 17 minutes instructions video, but I thought one time I have a look. At least with the limited mind of a man I want to have an idea what itīs all about to have a good smelling berth.
I donīt expect to get further involved in the topic. I guess I will have dirty fingers and lotīs of fun enjoying to keep up with maintaining the rest of the boat.

So ladies here is the video with in depth instructions blablabla

I like this particular model. It almost looks like a fancy toy for the boys.
Of course itīs not a Splendide but I am sure the cruising kiddy will be happy. There are also other similar models. I checked on Amazon and there are all kinds of similar machines and since they are made of plastic You can almost choose Your favorite colour

Now ladies, since I dedicated such a sweet little novel to this topic of quality life on a small boat, I wish to know Your opinions.....
I want to know................
Is this a valid solution for the problem ?
Can You live with that

Mmm Yummy, I still love the romantic smell of wild flowers)))
Yes, even when I can not afford the Queen Mary
and just live on a small boat.
Hahaha Yes, the smell of sweet flowers intoxicates my mind))
Mmm... and when I dream with wild flowers I am in a romantic mood)))

I am an old fashioned man
Old 25-06-2017, 12:35   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Splendide makes 2 all-in-one washer/dryer combinations. 24"x23" x 33" high. One is ventless (worthless as a dryer) and the other is like a regular vented dryer included into a washer. Runs on 120V ac and draws 11 amps. I plan on buying one when the current set dies. Cleans really well but smaller loads.
Brochure too big for Cruisers but you can find it here: http://splendide.com/XC_RV_2pg_Brochure.pdf
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 12:50   #25

Dang......so many viable options. I'm sure the small units would be fine for a couple.

So I paid $150 for a unit that costs over $1000 new. Going back and forth about returning it. I have 30 days to do it.

I could possibly sell it for $300 or so....though this remote location is kind of bad for selling stuff.

Having no idea how often there will be a crew of 3-4 people.....

I should think that lots of people would want to crew on a well equipped boat. Then you have the snorers, the thieves, those who break everything, complainers.......along with the champs.
Old 25-06-2017, 12:57   #26

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I'm a bucket and plunger guy. *grin*

I think there are two important things to reflect upon with onboard washer dryers:

Can you wash one full set of sheets, pillow cases, and towels in one load? If not, consider the time/energy implications.

The ventless units use an obscene amount of water. You are much better off with a vented model and figuring out how to keep water from getting into the boat through the vent. That isn't hard - just requires some thought.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 14:25   #27

Boat: PDQ 44i

We like our little apartment-sized washer-dryer, and we use it every week or so. We run the genset as we wash the clothes. We never use the dryer feature; we dry the clothes on the lifelines. Big loads we take ashore to a laundromat.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 16:13   #28

So.........much smaller washer/dryers are widely available.

Perhaps I should make a new thread asking this question:

"On a 45' boat with four adults, would you allocate 4 sq feet to a 220 volt washer/dryer if you got one for $150?" The boat is used for world cruising and is very rarely taken into marinas.

I am thinking the allocation of 4 sq feet suddenly doesn't look so foolhardy in this scenario.
Old 25-06-2017, 16:40   #29

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
I am thinking the allocation of 4 sq feet suddenly doesn't look so foolhardy in this scenario.
That depends entirely on how big a load can be washed.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 16:40   #30

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Not much else to say about this question. The dryer takes a 220/240 volt genset. Roughly half of the gensets/generators offer 220/240 volts.

Four square feet is a significant space requirement on a boat. There is no question about that. Clean clothes and sheets are a necessity in the minds of many.

Laundromats are not always cheap or convenient.
I'd pass. Worked ok (just) in our motorhome, but took forever, tended to leak, and needed more space than I'd give up on a boat. You MUST have a dryer vent or they really suck. Another hole in the boat.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote