Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2019, 18:21   #1

Boat: 30' Silver Streak Cuddy (on the hunt for a catamaran)
Long-term storage of household goods

My wife and I are a couple years from retireing and hitting the water. Our plan is to sail for 4 or 5 years, then move back on the hard when her mom will need more care. I was curious what some of you have found in terms of long-term storage for household things. The majority of our stuff will be sold or donated, but there are enough items that we would like to hold on to that would make moving back ashore easier. The average cost of a unit is about $200, and over 60 months, that's 12k. Has anyone found anything for less, or have a unique solution? We can't be the only couple that has run in to this.

Your thoughts and comments are very welcome!
Waterdog247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 18:40   #2

Re: Long-term storage of household goods

This is a very hard decision to do right, emotions tend to get the better of our intellect.

Your initial analysis of $12K for storage costs... Let's take take as right.

Now... how much would it cost to replace the things you are going to store for 5 years??? If it is more 12K or less, then throw it away. You'll enjoy having the nice new things when you move back. Heck, even the shopping can be fun

The best way to do this analysis is to have someone else do it for you. It is hard to be harsh enough.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 19:30   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

You can get a much better deal if you use containers at a shipping and storage place. Ours does it by weight and very reasonable. We have to containers at about usd$60 a month.The boxes are kept in doors and climate controlled. It'll be like Xmas when we open them up and see what we have in there. Been 8 years so far.
Old 19-02-2019, 19:41   #4

Boat: 30' Silver Streak Cuddy (on the hunt for a catamaran)

Exactly! Yes, we have two Harley's and a lot of sentimental (inherited from deaths in the family) stuff. Most of our household goods we could easily replace. Furniture, beds, dishes, artwork, yard tools, would all likely cost more than the storage fees. I have a complete National Geographic collection going back to Jan 1968. One of the suggestions a friend had was buy a 40' shipping container and pay him rent to keep it on his land. Then we could fill it up. Temperature and weather then become a factor, but it is a pretty inexpensive option.

Anyone else have regrets/happy decisions about their storage choices?
Waterdog247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 06:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
The boxes are kept in doors and climate controlled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdog247 View Post
Temperature and weather then become a factor...
Be very, VERY careful about what you store in any place that is not climate controlled! We made the mistake of storing some stuff for a little over a year in a non-temperature controlled storage unit in Florida, and a lot of stuff that we did NOT think would be affected, was. Anything wood, foam, or plastic will be more affected than you expect. Even papers will be more affected than you expect.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 06:17   #6

We faced this too. All furniture is from rooms to to clearance! Not exaggerating how we have pared down giving to friends and goodwill. We have two choices, a climate controlled rental space, about $130mo, or family for storage (would require an 8 hr trip and small truck rental). we decided on family. It's cheaper long term, gives a reason to visit, they have the room.

I have done storage before while travel nursing, all belongings were fine in climate controlled in NC for 2 years. Just get the insurance.
nimbex1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 06:39   #7

Boat: Tartan 3800

My advice would be to pare down as far as you can and leave what's left with trusted friends or family.

My experience with storing things for that length of time has not been good. Climate, mice, bugs, dust, heat, humidity, roof leaks, and landlords that raise rent, change rules, or bulldoze everything to build a high-rise are all problems.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 08:35   #8

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
You can get a much better deal if you use containers at a shipping and storage place. Ours does it by weight and very reasonable. We have to containers at about usd$60 a month.The boxes are kept in doors and climate controlled. It'll be like Xmas when we open them up and see what we have in there. Been 8 years so far.
Hi Paul -
My wife and I just moved storage units from the Eastside to Kitsap county; but still paying storage unit prices. If I understand you correctly, you are getting a container sized storage that is heated and indoors for $60/ month. Can you give me a little contact info about it so I can find out more about it.

Thanks,
Ron
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 08:42   #9

Boat: Islander 36

My first time doing that, upon returning and getting into my debris, I marveled at what I was thinking when I made the choices to keep what I did.

Got stuck as a dock queen and accumulated again. Had to flush again, but did it in small bites while repeatedly returning to my home country,

Finally had to pull the trigger, or push the flush handle harder. With what was left, I packed my mini SUV solid and took it to Mexico, where I got a bodega for it. Filled that bodega and looked at myself in disgust. Kept on flushing down to a smaller bodega, then finally just my car. Then flushed out of the back of my car (the mini SUV) until it was just an empty plastic tool crib.

Loaded that tool crib into the boat and filled it with boat debris. Sold the car and sailed on.

During my last haul out, my bootstripe went away. Bottom paint is now to the top of my old bootstripe. Things keep finding their way aboard Minggat.

We humans do like our debris.

I write this stuff for me to think about. Not for you.
Old 20-02-2019, 08:54   #10

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdog247 View Post
My wife and I are a couple years from retireing and hitting the water. Our plan is to sail for 4 or 5 years, then move back on the hard when her mom will need more care. I was curious what some of you have found in terms of long-term storage for household things. The majority of our stuff will be sold or donated, but there are enough items that we would like to hold on to that would make moving back ashore easier. The average cost of a unit is about $200, and over 60 months, that's 12k. Has anyone found anything for less, or have a unique solution? We can't be the only couple that has run in to this.

Your thoughts and comments are very welcome!
We’re in the same boat, no pun intended ;-). Last week we bought an enclosed cargo trailer big enough to store the things we want to keep. We’re building out shelves inside to better organize things, and when we’re ready we’ll find a good secure location to park it, preferably somewhere not too hot and humid. Also installing solar powered fans to maintain air movement. Things that are sensitive to humidity will be vacuum sealed in plastic.
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 09:08   #11

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

I recommend you get rid of your items and put $200 a month into an account so that 60 months from now, you'll have more than $12,000 due to investment, interest, etc accumulation. You can use that money to re-stock what you have given up.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 09:29   #12

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
I recommend you get rid of your items and put $200 a month into an account so that 60 months from now, you'll have more than $12,000 due to investment, interest, etc accumulation. You can use that money to re-stock what you have given up.
And we have a winner!!!! I love this answer.

We did all this 4 years ago, except we rented out our house and kept the separate garage as storage in the rental agreement. So far this has worked out because the renter is a family friend and treats the house with respect, but I dread the day we'll have to rent to a stranger - we'll have to get a property management company, etc., and it gets complicated.

Property values were hit hard in our area so we've been able to continue accruing equity in the house and the market has recovered, so if we decide to sell we're back in the $$ market we'd be happy with.

This is not the answer for everyone, but so far (fingers crossed, breath held) it's worked for us. If you know for a fact that you'll only be on the water for 4-5 years maybe it would work for you. Good luck!
Old 20-02-2019, 09:30   #13

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Don't store it, get rid of it! You will spend thousands storing stuff, then when you return to a bunch of mildewed furniture and soggy roach infested boxes, you will say "why did we keep all this junk"! Been there!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 09:56   #14

This is a personal decision, it is up to YOU as to what YOU deem irreplaceable.

We moved to Canada 2 1/2 years ago, to support my then 96 year old f-i-l. He will be 98 on Sunday! We moved in six weeks! We got rid of everything except for a few things that we wanted to keep. One example is my model railroad that I built many years ago.

Yes, we pay for it monthly, just under $200.

I can't wait til I get my trains back!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 10:19   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Long-term storage of household goods

Our irreplaceable stuff is stored in climate controlled storage, $125 a month.
The rest of the stuff that I will use again like tools, reloading equipment, a couple of cars, good SS grill etc. is in a hanger where I have an antique airplane stored that I won’t sell.
Another $125 a month.

Yes it’s money gone, but replacing that stuff when cruising is over will be very expensive, and a lot of it is irreplaceable.
The better half would not have bought into this cruising thing if she had to start over like we did when we were kids, it took over 30 yrs to accumulate the nice stuff, she nor I are willing to give it up.

If nothing else I figure the storage is cheap compared to a divorce
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage