Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2018, 09:15   #31

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA
Re: Help Me Pay My Way (Well, Not Quite ... )

A Day In The Life Of A YOUTUBE Sailor

https://youtu.be/4yQYKwAtFyw
ShellBack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 09:35   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

There are only a few sailing couples or single handers that are good story tellers. Even fewer of them that can properly record and edit one interesting video, never mind a series of videos. I think we all know that life just isn't all that exciting all the time. Squeals of delight and shouting at a pod of dolphins can only last so long. Cute kids, cats, and dogs are interesting for a while to grandma's, grandpa's and animal lovers of which I am two of the three. I refuse to subscribe to a channel, like or pay for poorly recorded, badly edited (if edited at all) and uninteresting videos and I detest click bait.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 18:20   #33

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrydeare View Post
I have been reading a few cruising blogs lately (no real excuse), and I've noticed that a few younger couples have taken to begging for money to support their habit.

Apart from a seemingly derogatory touch calling a life style a "habit", please keep in mind that every book you've ever bought had the author "begging you" for a small percentage of the money you pass over the counter. Writing a blog is not that much different.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 19:59   #34
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

No that's when you get a share of the advertising revenue from your site.

Tgat is like a book author including a "please send me more money" within the book.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 20:27   #35

Boat: Rafiki 37

Those vloggers are working really hard - it's not easy producing that content and they sink loads of hours in a week at it.

I was thinking of doing something like that - but it actually worked out easier and less work for me just to save up for a couple of years, keep a blog for pleasure and then not have to worry about video, subscribers etc and instead just enjy the sailing. It's a lot of work doing what they do, and they earn that money.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:19   #36

Quote:
Not to quibble, but "rehashing covered ground" is the lifeblood of many if not most online discussion.

How many times have you or I or someone else labored over a carefully written and researched post or reponse, only to discover one or two posts later in the same thread that another author has essentially repeated the same content?

This has been my experience ever since Arpanet, and there is no clear change in sight.

only to be accused of reopening a 2 yr old thread
Old 05-10-2018, 07:20   #37

sv zingaro is the example,,,, for 50$ you wiill get a we love you on youtube,,
drug dealing or prostitution is a more honnest way to make moneyˇˇˇˇ
swanpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:04   #38

Boat: Passport 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanpol View Post
sv zingaro is the example,,,, for 50$ you wiill get a we love you on youtube,,
drug dealing or prostitution is a more honnest way to make moneyˇˇˇˇ
Don't like the content? Don't watch it. Easy enough. Like the content? Pay for it. Don't want to pay for it? No biggie.

What the hell is the problem with people. It's a business model. I create a lot of stuff, and still fortunately kind of get paid for it. I direct TV commercials and I also do some digital content for brands. Eventually I will jump on the youtube bandwagon. But it's not "begging". Or even "supporting". It's a new business model. Pay for the content you WANT and LIKE.

Have you noticed Netflix is a digital age rehash of the cable provider? I will give you x million content for x amount per month. Flat fee. Hey, but Im not interested in 95% of your content. Well ... it's cheap, so you pay x for month for 5% (or less). Some people prefer to pay for content they actually want to watch.

What's the biggie. It's simple.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:34   #39

Quote:
I have been reading a few cruising blogs lately (no real excuse), and I've noticed that a few younger couples have taken to begging for money to support their habit.

Evidently it's become respectable to ask other folks to send money so that these individuals can continue to wander aimlessly, go swimming when they have the urge, buy spares and engine replacement parts, eat well, feed their pets, etc.

I don't remember doing anything like this during the 8 years I lived aboard during the 1990's. Don't remember any friends doing this either.

How did I get so far out of touch?
I have worked hard all my life to get what I have today.
Unfortunately not so of some of the newer generation.Which has been spoon feed till date of departure and this is there only way of knowing how to get what they want in life .
So the next time your child ask for something don't just give in .Make them do something for it..
philipmelanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:03   #40

Boat: O'Day-25

If they provide something that people want then it is not begging for money. They are selling a product. The price of what they sell is your choice, or you can just view their videos for free and choose not to pay.

I give a very small about to Adventure Adrift (Ty and Hillary) but I see it as I am getting the better end of the deal. They work hard at and put a lot of time into making their cruising videos. I have received much entertainment and education from them. The amount I give them should be more for what I have gotten from their videos.
KPowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:24   #41

Some just arent worth it
One fella I recall was gluing his shaft connection nut with locktite
he got plenty of advice on fixing it properly, but ignored that the 3x I saw it come adrift. I split after that.

Another removed my comment about using cheap eclipse hose clamps because I described them as shitty. He proceeded to tell me how 'he knows' what is good practice because he has operated RPVs to below 1200 ft. I split from there too

Yet another said his electric propulsion temp up to 300F shouldn't have an effect on the hull it was right next to. Apparently in his view no shielding required because in his world diesels operate at that temp all the time. I split

Some people are surely worth it and do good things in the world besides owning a boat and living aboard. But too many have a similar formula of scantily clad pretty girls that are just money magnets for their cause of pay for view cruising.
That may be harsh, but it is what it is.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:52   #42

Boat: C&C Mk 1 33'

Public radio and TV support has been around for decades; the advent of internet and necessity of individual enterprise, popularized it to a degree that it is more common than in the past. The proof that "History doesn't repeat itself, but it rhymes" is nowhere more true than with this form of free enterprise. We were encouraged to "work at something you love and you will never have to work a day in your life" came to life here.
Rhwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:57   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

That comes as no surprise, given the lack of appreciation and discipline these millennials and other "entitled" youngsters have.... it's no wonder that the harbor and immigration people have hardened their hearts to these sea gypsies and vagrants who come limping in with broken boats, starving pets and no money to pay their spoilt brat way... I am not putting down sea gypsies and folks cruising on a budget, hell, that was the only way I could do this, BUT!!!

When I ran out of money, I would go and get a job, doing anything! Even cleaned toilets at some point, but mainly worked with my hands doing carpentry, or fiberglassing or similar as I built my boat I learned a lot of different trades, but it seems these entitled young kids do not have any worthwhile trades other than fingering their cell phones or ipads all day long....

When I pulled up at a place and needed to work I found the months or weeks or even a years break from sailing to be a welcome break! I would be earning money, I got to know the local people well, and I learned a lot more of the places I visited, and still I was able to lie around in the sun, go for little week end sails, dive, hike around etc... so there is NO excuse!! It gives sailors and cruiser a BAD name to be begging and sponging off the generosity of others...I see this in every walk of life too, not just sailing...
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:06   #44

Boat: Freedom 40

Quote:
Not to quibble, but "rehashing covered ground" is the lifeblood of many if not most online discussion.

How many times have you or I or someone else labored over a carefully written and researched post or reponse, only to discover one or two posts later in the same thread that another author has essentially repeated the same content?

This has been my experience ever since Arpanet, and there is no clear change in sight.
I agree with this. This is a live conversation of timely things that are moving and changing fast. And it becomes a library, as it were, of old conversations and information.

I am fascinated with this YouTube thing. Marketing directly into the Long Tail in real time. It's here and here to stay and transitioning quicky.

My ten and 13 year old are always going on about becoming celebrity YouTubers, how many followers they have, and how to get more. Once they syndicated my iTunes password to friends because they had worked out a content generation/follower scam that needed their friends to do something. Ended badly for them when I caught up.

And one day they will reminisce how hard they worked back in the day to make their stuff happen. Like we do about our newspaper rounds, super market jobs, funding our educations...

But having said all of that, I still wish I didn't feel so often, "Two more daft people, doing daft stuff, pitching me to support their daftness... Next."
Old 05-10-2018, 11:50   #45

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Kerry, people at CF,

Please accept my apology where I sound rough at the edges. I am aware I can. I am not native and my way of talking and writing can be clearly too immediate, to emotional. This is one of the things you do not acquire as you acquire your second or third language.

Maybe one could, but I actually do not want to become Anglicized inside. I want to be able to communicate in English, but I want to communicate my own ideas and meanings, and values - that are based in continental European attitudes as proclaimed and cultivated by the big French revolution. Freedom, equality, brotherhood. I know these do not form part of the puritan world, but I think this is exactly where we can benefit from each other's presence. The world becomes less, when it becomes less diversified. Quite contrary to what the ancient Chinese expected.

I do think we are talking the same thing and we share the attitude. Things change and we may be in the same ex- generation (I am, anyways), no longer in sync with the ever more rapid social landscape.

This new landscape gives me laughs, most of the time. Shivers, at other times.

To me, it is hard, seeing what the world is like today and how far it is from how I was brought up. The changes are bigger than us and the process cannot be affected by our ever shrinking ex- population of ageing cruisers. The young ones are becoming the ruling majority.

The good news is I still see a handful of dreamers in truly small boats that pass thru LP to go for their West Indies dream. Some make it, some get stuck. It is fun to see them struggle and try and look for whatever ways to fund their freedom stunts. Many ask for money in their ways. With so much extra cash printed by the US and EU governments over last 10 years or so I do not think they are taking away from anybody.

Most families here (Canary Islands, one of the poorest and least educated regions of Spain) have two cars, six iPhones a 100-inch plasma, and a home to live in. I am not sure what they contribute to the society that when they ask for money, they get this much.

Some young sailing bloggers asking for money. Yes. Hardly the biggest challenge we are having these days. WE are bigger challenge than them. Just we fail to face things and see that we all get much more these days than we provide.

Respect and greetings to all readers and posters.

It is a good thread. Present and valid and interesting to read.

barnakiel
Just want to say this is pretty much how I feel too. Although brought up solidly middle class southern American, the thoughts and feelings expressed by this post are what I have grown into. As I am fond of saying - "I could easily and happily go back to the days of rotary phones and 3 channels on the TV."

Those were truly the "Happy Days" I remember. The world is not the same.